Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 AM   #1

Have a new 38RL and question if slides need adjusted

We just took delivery of a 2016 38RL that we ordered. My DW and I believe the slides need adjusted but the dealership service dept. says that is way they are. Our two main slides do not fit flush against wall when open. The top is flush but bottom is out and trim piece does not fit against wall. We have as much as a
1/2 -1 inch gap. Would like to hear from other owners on how their slides fit against wall when open/out.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 AM   #2

We have a 2013 36re. Our slides do not fit flush. The wall construction would have to change to make them fit flush.

Mark
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

Dust issue

Couldnt remember where to post questions. But my question probably involves slide adjustments too.

Question to all Redwood 36RL owners. This weekend we had to go 15 Kim's on gravel roads to get to our weekend camping due to hwy repairs. Anyways when we got to our destination and open trailer just to find it very dusty inside especially from the island back which on each side of it we have two large slides. So I'm guessing this is where all the fine dust come in. Couch in back was just covered in dust. Any suggestions on a fix.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
We have a 2013 36re. Our slides do not fit flush. The wall construction would have to change to make them fit flush.

Mark
We traded a 36 RL that slides fit flush. Our new 38RL has a trim piece that makes it very noticeable. We are concerned as one slide drags heavily on one corner and marks carpet.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

The bottom will never fit quite as close as the top, but should be within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The top hits the wall first, then they should continue out to reduce the gap at the bottom.

As for the Dust, did you have any windows open at all, or the roof vents open creating a low pressure area inside? We traveled lots of dirt roads in Alaska last year with our 36RL, and while we did get some dust, nothing like you seem to have.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The bottom will never fit quite as close as the top, but should be within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The top hits the wall first, then they should continue out to reduce the gap at the bottom.

As for the Dust, did you have any windows open at all, or the roof vents open creating a low pressure area inside? We traveled lots of dirt roads in Alaska last year with our 36RL, and while we did get some dust, nothing like you seem to have.
In reference to slides fitting flush, should that be that way on both ends. Ends closest to door they are that way but on other end there is a gap from top to bottom about 3/4 inch.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

It should be pretty close between the front and back. Measure on the outside from the outside wall to the edge of the slide, should be close, if not the slide is off slightly.
If you look at the rear underside where the rail attaches to the slide, there is a slot in the bracket for adjustments. Ours is the same and I just haven't adjusted it yet, but since we're having slide retraction issues I may get the Dealer to adj once they get the slides working right.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #8

Hey Bruce, glad to see you & Cindy are still RWers just sporting a new one.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Ours are the same we have about a 1/2" gap at bottom and tight at the top. I looked into this when we first picked up the RW and looks like that is the way they work.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Update, taking unit to a different dealer. This dealer does not carry Redwoods but is a Crossroads dealer. Talked to them yesterday and made an appointment. They say they can correct slide issues. Really sad that purchasing dealer told me couldn't do anymore for problem and says that is way they are suppose to be. Hoping for good results from different dealer.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #11

where did you take it I have the same problem. 530-514-3453 please call.
gvtahoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #12

Found out something interesing the other day, Looks like RW might have a problem with that bar that is laged to the bottom of the slide that the hydraulic ram pushes against. For some unknown reason it's got a 1/4" slot on the side facing the unit and with the weight and torque the rear passive shaft will cause this bar to flex. If you watch from the rear of the unit and watch the bracket that attaches to that bar you'll see it flexing, making it hard to get a proper adjustment on the rear of that main Living Room Slide.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #13

Took my unit to different dealer as I stated previously. Had it two days and called and told me it was ready. I was shocked when they told me this. We went today to pick it up and the slides were fixed as promised. You talk about being a happy camper. I now will take my unit to this Crossroads dealer and not back to purchasing dealer.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators View Post
Took my unit to different dealer as I stated previously. Had it two days and called and told me it was ready. I was shocked when they told me this. We went today to pick it up and the slides were fixed as promised. You talk about being a happy camper. I now will take my unit to this Crossroads dealer and not back to purchasing dealer.
I adjusted my slides and they are tight against the body when closed. They are still out about 1/2" at the bottom when out as you look down the trim on the inside when open. It is still tight against the seal all the way down on the inside and that is what matters most. You would never notice unless you are fussy like and check these things.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #15

If the rear of the slide does not open as far or close as far as the front and the shaft is not twisted the idler gear is out of timing a very easy fix my slides all close to the same amount top bottom front and rear it's not hard to adjust
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote