Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Grey Tank Operation 101

Now that I have a couple weeks under my belt. Could almost say a seasoned RV'er now. I have a question how those with more experience handle the grey water tanks, specifically the Galley Tank.

There is one tank that seems to collect water from the shower and the kitchen. This one I have to drain at minimum every two days. The other tank has yet to see 1/3. Not drained in two weeks. (I do use the faucet in the bathroom and bedroom)

If it is above freezing, can I just leave the valve open on the galley tank, or will I get sewer gas coming up from the sewer line doing that?

Why would you design a system and put the most heavily water use drains into the same small tank? Kitchen and Shower

Why put two little sinks into the same tank?

bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Scott,

Yup, the only thing that feeds the grey tank are the 2 bath sinks and the washer. I asked the same question and apparently the drain lines had to be run that way. Disappointing that the shower doesn't drain into the gray too.

Yes, you can leave the galley tank open. If you're concerned about sewer gas, drop a short section of your sewer hose in the form of a large p-trap, making enough of a drop to fill with water.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
Now that I have a couple weeks under my belt. Could almost say a seasoned RV'er now. I have a question how those with more experience handle the grey water tanks, specifically the Galley Tank.

There is one tank that seems to collect water from the shower and the kitchen. This one I have to drain at minimum every two days. The other tank has yet to see 1/3. Not drained in two weeks. (I do use the faucet in the bathroom and bedroom)

If it is above freezing, can I just leave the valve open on the galley tank, or will I get sewer gas coming up from the sewer line doing that?

Why would you design a system and put the most heavily water use drains into the same small tank? Kitchen and Shower

Many of us have asked the same question......why most everything going into the one gray tank? You can possibly resolve the dilemma as follows: Purchase an external tank valve that connects to the end of your existing sewer drain on your Redwood. Close the external valve that you just connected and then open both of the gray tank valves in the convenience center. This should allow you total capacity of both tanks for any drain you use. When it is time to drain the tanks, close both gray water tank valves in the convenience center, open the external valve and drain the water that is in the line. Then open the black tank and drain it, then open each of the gray tank valves(one at a time) and drain them. Then start the process all over again. This seems to work for most of the Redwoods.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:04 PM   #4

Didn't think of the washer/dryer. Don't have one, yet. Thanks, for the the p-trap idea, that makes sense.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
The experts plumbed the washer drain into the tank with the bathroom sink. Great if you have a clothes washer but I believe most folks using a washing machine are in an RV park with electricity and sewer connection. I considered replumbing our tanks but it is an impossible job to get adequate access to the drain pipes after the coach is assembled.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...rv+sewer+valveI hope I do this right: This worked for me and I was able to take advantage of the 90 gallons of gray water storage.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:

Scott
We are full timing and leave both grey valves open all the time. I only close them the day before dumping the black so I can rinse the hose out. I get no smell in the trailer. If below freezing you can let the tap trickle water to keep the hose from freezing
Old 10-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...rv+sewer+valveI hope I do this right: This worked for me and I was able to take advantage of the 90 gallons of gray water storage.
I use this valve too, makes it easier to flush and rinse the black tank. I tried to leave the two tanks open to equalize using the external valve. I had a large leak in doing so. It turns out, there was a leak on the back side of the galley tank valve. Once repaired, I tried equalizing the tanks. Looks like this worked for me too, but I'd like to try it a few times before I declare success.

Ken
Old 11-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #9

All the fixtures that drain into the gray tanks have p-traps and the valves can remain open without worry of ordor.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #10

I am not sure I totally understand what is being described by using this other valterra T58 valve. I do know that on my GK I cannot leave both grey valves open. It does allow sewer gasses to come back into coach. I have never had that problem on my former coach. A carriage-carrilite. But neither did I have a lot of other strange problems that I have experienced with the RW either.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:33 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
I am not sure I totally understand what is being described by using this other valterra T58 valve. I do know that on my GK I cannot leave both grey valves open. It does allow sewer gasses to come back into coach. I have never had that problem on my former coach. A carriage-carrilite. But neither did I have a lot of other strange problems that I have experienced with the RW either.
Under both the bathroom and kitchen sink is a vent that is designed to allow the water to flow out of the tank when dumping but prevents odors from coming back into the trailer. I replaced both of ours with ones from home Depot and no problems since. The ones that Redwood uses do not last. If you look under both sinks above the p trap you will see a y fitting with a cap on it. just unscrew and you install the new one on it
Old 11-01-2015, 02:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
All the fixtures that drain into the gray tanks have p-traps and the valves can remain open without worry of ordor.
Not sure about our Redwood, but many rv's use the hepvo type trap: Hepvo Waterless Valve. I wouldn't be surprised that Redwood uses them in the laundry too.

One of the biggest complaint is odor coming from the washer prep area especially if no washer is installed. Thus the reason why some make a p-trap out of their exterior drain hose. Just an option if the need arises.

Ken
Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #13

On my 36 RE, both the bed and bath sinks and the shower, drain to the grey tank. The W/D drain probably too but don't use it. The kitchen seems the only thing draining to the galley tank.

Mark
Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #14

If you look behind the wall in the basement you'll see p traps for shower & wash machine, at least on mine. If you are getting odor back in coach you need to check the vents Shane mentioned or the roof vents. On my FB the kitchen sink & dishwasher go into one tank & all of bathroom lavatory/shower & wash machine into the other & I usually leave the bath open til a day or two prior to draining black.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 AM   #15

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...icture808.html

Under the sink, there is the Hepvo Waterless Valve, which is cool. Won't need to put antifreeze down that.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #16

Also if you're getting odor back through unused wash machine drain you need to add a bit of water to that drain occasionally to keep the p trap full, it will evaporate or drain out during travel & once empty it will allow odor back into coach.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:37 AM   #17

on our RW I found that if I did not have the Gray tanks closed when I drained the black tank the odor comes back up through the pipes. I now close the gray tanks the day before. Then drain the black tank and flush once empty I close the black and then open the gray tanks to flush out the lines. This way we have no smell
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 AM   #18

Quote:

I like the gray water/galley tanks. I use a twist on gate valve at the main drain. When the gray water tank is full I assure that the add on gate valve is closed then I open both the gray and galley tank valves which gives a combined 80 gallon storage. I do this when I am close to breaking camp and the gray tank is full.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #19

That is a neat trick, but doesn't work for all models, our MB must have the two grays at different levels, because it won't work.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
Do you have a picture of this add on valve as you have it connected. Because you have it set up this way does that equalize the valves for full usage of both tanks?
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote