Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Grey & black tanks

Good Morning, just trying to pick up some knowledge, been full timing since Nov, and normally drain my grey tanks daily, not a problem, my black tank with just two of us takes about two weeks.
Looking at U Tube this morning, RV Geeks shows leaving grey tank valves open all the time, only closing the day before flushing black tanks to allow for enough water to back flush lines, is this a normally good practice?
Also they show pouring five gallons of hot water into tank after dumping, if having a problem with tank monitor giving a false reading, as this helps clean residue of sensor, and \ or buying a chemical tank cleaning solution letting it sit about 24 hours after dumping with solution and this would also clean monitors.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

We leave the gray open as described above, but leave galley closed til dumping black (dump our black every 7-10 days) or til it starts smelling in kitchen sink (that's the tell tale sign to dump galley), been operating this way for several years with no issues. We add the Campa Chem powders that are inexpensive & easily found at a Wal-Mart in the black & galley, as stated the gray is open most of the time. The main thing is do not leave black open all the time & use plenty of water & you should be relatively problem free. I don't think the hot water will do much good on the sensors unless you fill the tank completely, my sensors haven't worked since 1st fill so therefore I don't pay any attention to them, go by sound in the toilet when flushing.
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #3

I leave both galley and grey open, which is probably a bad idea since the galley sensors show full all the time now. When dumping the black tank I flush one or two times by closing the black tank and filling it with a hose connected to the flush outlet. This has kept the black tank sensors working.

Mike n Vicki King
2015 Redwood 36RL
2015 Ford F350 DRW FX4
KingCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I always leave my greys open and close them the day I dump the black
Old 01-31-2016, 03:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I always leave my greys open and close them the day I dump the black
X2! If I'm in a site for any length of time, I leave the greys open.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

We left our grey tank open all the time. The day before dumping black tank I close off the grey tanks and then after dumping black tank. I let the rinse hose run for about 15 mins I close the black and then open the grey tanks again and let the grey water clean out the lines.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
We left our grey tank open all the time. The day before dumping black tank I close off the grey tanks and then after dumping black tank. I let the rinse hose run for about 15 mins I close the black and then open the grey tanks again and let the grey water clean out the lines.

This is exactly what I do also.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Just know that that by leaving the galley open you could get some food sediment drying to the bottom of the tank. Depends on how much you let go down.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

That's exactly why I leave the valley closed til time to dump & I use the chemicals in it as well as the black. On mine the kitchen sink & dishwasher go into galley & bathroom lavatory & washing machine to into gray, I don't think all models are plumbed that way.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Site Team

All my years of RVs, I keep my valves closed until it's time to empty them. I don't like the idea of letting bugs or critters climbing up the hose to my tanks. It takes very little effort to dump the tanks.

I also prefer using my fresh water tank over hooking up and using a hose for city water.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Ok,

You guys talked me into making a change after all these years.. :-). I will try and leave the tanks closed till full... See if I can wrap my head around a change???
You know , old dogs...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
All my years of RVs, I keep my valves closed until it's time to empty them. I don't like the idea of letting bugs or critters climbing up the hose to my tanks. It takes very little effort to dump the tanks.

I also prefer using my fresh water tank over hooking up and using a hose for city water.

Dave..............I do the same as you on the holding tanks. I use a gate valve on the external discharge tube so I can get maximum on gray and galley tanks. For long term stays while we are in Florida, I have to dump the tanks every 7 days. It generally takes me 30 to 45 minutes most of which is re-filling and flushing the black tank 3 times. It only takes a few minutes to dump the gray and galley tanks.

When in transit, I never connect to city water. Thirty gallons of water in tank will get us by for bathroom use up to 4 days of travel. We use bottled water for consumption use.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #13

After I flush my black tank I put in my camp chem powders and some dish washing liquid in to help keep the sensor clean and keep waste from sticking on the bottom.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

I put Calgon water softner in my tanks once a month this coats the sides so nothing sticks in the tanks. I put about half a cap in the grey tanks and full cap in the Black tank. I have never had any issue with the tank gauges sticking or not reading correctly.
Robot Check
Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post

Between running on your fresh, holding your waste, and probably days of energy from inverters - you can probably don't have to hook up to anything for a while! Nice!

On the trailer, I don't think I could listen to that pump all the time using the tank, at least not if I didn't have to.

I've always made a habit of keeping tanks closed until they are ready to dump. There is a downside Sarah decided to do a bunch of wash while we were out, and I didn't realize just how much she did while we were gone. Those water alarms sure work.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #16

What water alarms?
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Between running on your fresh, holding your waste, and probably days of energy from inverters - you can probably don't have to hook up to anything for a while! Nice!

On the trailer, I don't think I could listen to that pump all the time using the tank, at least not if I didn't have to.

I've always made a habit of keeping tanks closed until they are ready to dump. There is a downside Sarah decided to do a bunch of wash while we were out, and I didn't realize just how much she did while we were gone. Those water alarms sure work.
Haaaa. O no !!!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
What water alarms?
I have some cheap first alert water alarms throughout the trailer. 9V battery type and emit high pitched tone when wet.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #19
Site Team

Brad, sometimes my timing isn't as good as it used to be. Early March we were in NC and I got up, had my shower and was enjoying a cup of coffee. Then Ginny ran out of water during her shower.......oops. I always check my gauges at night before I take off my shoes and settle in for the night. The night before I somehow screwed up.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #20

I want to hear, "the rest of the story".
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote