Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

Goodyear g114

Hi we have a redwood 2013 RL that was kind of a Covid project I picked it up fairly reasonable after repairing everything that needed to be repaired I noticed when I bought the vehicle but it had some tire damage from a blown tire and seen that the owner had some Chinese tires And I decided to upgrade to 17.5 Goodyear G114 rated at 4800 pounds these have a date code of November 2020. So we went out west last year for the motorcycle rally came back and so happy no blown tire so this year getting ready to leave check the tires make sure there was 110 psi went out to the rally no problem on the way back at our first fuel stop I got out and there was no tread left on the tire but the tire was still full of air then I went to the other side and the other tire in the picture was about in the same condition as you can see in the picture going to take a chance We pulled all four tires off drove back to Rapid City 150 miles and had new tires of a different brand put on and the guy said look at these meaning the ones that still looked OK but you could tell they were separating as well. These tires are not cheap and literally have about 2200 miles on them. The tires are the cheap part. the body damage it does to the rv makes you sick. I filed a warranty claim for the body damage with Goodyear and will let you know how that goes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0944EA05-3159-4032-86C8-379F112532AE.jpg (314.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 53A47AD4-FAD2-4C03-9047-18B2A09A0234.jpg (229.4 KB, 17 views)
RogerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #2

I would say you got very luck you stopped and looked at your tires! the next few miles may not have been very lucky. I think good year will pay your tire claim, I would like to see a photo of the inside of the tire also if possible. There is a few reports of these tires blowing out but not many. I have had good luck with Sailun 17.5" 637 tires with a load rating of 4800lbs on our redwood.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

Who handles Sailun tires, are they any cheaper than Goodyer tires?
Old 08-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
par

I went from Good Year to Sailun a year ago and drove back to Canada from Texas in April 2020, about 2400 miles, no issues. Before that I had a set of Good Year with about 30,000 miles on them and had no issues. They were 7 years old and did not want to push it.
Going to Sailun I had to get larger rims since they are 17.5 inches. I got my Sailuns from SimpleTire, much cheaper than Good Year. Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #5

Thank you for the information I will have to update in a year or two. Is it cheaper to purchase new rims with Sailuns vs. Goodyears?
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastakid View Post
Thank you for the information I will have to update in a year or two. Is it cheaper to purchase new rims with Sailuns vs. Goodyears?
When I upgraded to disc brakes I also upgraded to 17.5" Sailun tires & wheels all thru Performance Trailer Braking. Not sure if they still do the tire/wheel combos but they still do the disc conversion, great company.
At the time of my upgrade I was able to do the 4 tire/wheel combo upgrade from PTB for less than replacing 3 of the 16" GY 614 tires.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #7
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastakid View Post
In my case yes... I think I lucked out a bit, I paid $599 for the rims and $824 for the tires. The rims were from TrailerWheels.com. I caught a sale on the rims, I just checked and they are $289 each.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:44 PM   #8

Wow that is amazing! We switched to MorRyde IS system during the Redwood Rally a few years ago, already had disc brakes, also had Timken bearings added at the same time. Tires are still good but getting choppy on outside of tires, may have been caused by the old suspension system which we had nothing but problems with. We have a 2017 36RL, what a difference with the IS system, wife can now leave coffee pot and an ice maker on the counter with no problems. Really made a difference.on the 5th wheel and our 350 DW truck ride.