Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Gfi and possible power inverter problems

I live in Austin and the recent storm caused my Norcold fridge to give me a ‘lo dc’ error on my 2013 BW36RV13 that I bought a year ago.
I replaced the battery( old battery was 1 1/2 years) and installed a new power cord.
I unplugged the fridge for several days thinking it might need to reset itself. GFI circuit in bathroom area is working.
Still gives me the error message. I’m thinking now maybe the inverter or maybe there is another gfi circuit I’m unaware of.
Any ideas of where the inverter is located or another gfi? -Thanks
DougB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I live in Austin and the recent storm caused my Norcold fridge to give me a ‘lo dc’ error on my 2013 BW36RV13 that I bought a year ago.
I replaced the battery and installed a new power cord.
I unplugged the fridge for several days thinking it might need to reset itself. GFI circuit in bathroom area is working.
Still gives me the error message. I’m thinking now maybe the inverter or maybe there is another gfi circuit I’m unaware of.
Any ideas of where the inverter is located or another gfi? -Thanks
First off Doug, this is a 9 year old thread, several of those folks have moved on, so may want to start a new one.
There's more information we need to accurately answer you're questions.
You stated the fridge is a Norcold which is either LP powered or 120 volts AC from shore cord but needs strong 12 volt DC from your batteries to power up the control circuits. Which means that you have a converter not an inverter.
A converter uses 120 volt AC to provide 12 volt DC to power the lights, furnace fan, exhaust vents, slide pumps/motors & to power fridge & water heater controls.
An inverter uses your 12 volt AC batteries to provide 120 volt AC to usually a residential fridge & possibly a couple plugs.
If your fridge is giving a "lo dc" warning it's due to the batteries, either not charged, weak, need replaced or loose connections.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick response.
The converter board is fried. There are two spots on the board where a diode or multiple diodes have been burned to a crisp and not replaceable.
The converter is located under the breaker panel and easy to get to.
However, I cannot find anything that looks like it online and has no model # anywhere to tell me what kind it is.
Any suggestions?

( i wish I could send a couple of pics but I don’t think this site lets you post pics )
DougB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you for your quick response.
The converter board is fried. There are two spots on the board where a diode or multiple diodes have been burned to a crisp and not replaceable.
The converter is located under the breaker panel and easy to get to.
However, I cannot find anything that looks like it online and has no model # anywhere to tell me what kind it is.
Any suggestions?

( i wish I could send a couple of pics but I don’t think this site lets you post pics )
Hopefully someone else will chime in with the for sure model, but if I recall it's a WFCOXX, sorry don't recall the numbers, but also not sure what the previous owner may have done.
Not sure how or why the converter would fry like that, but hopefully you have a surge protector/EMS (it must be an EMS), either hardwired or portable, connected to the incoming power, if not GET ONE ASAP!
This site does allow posting pictures but there are so many devices using different picture programs that I won't begin to explain how. I use an Android phone to post on here, take pictures & occasionally make a phone call.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Administrator

I moved this to it's own thread
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:

You can attach images to your posts - just not embed links to hosted images. Look for the paperclip icon in the reply editor or use the "advanced" editor and scroll down a bit to "manage attachments"
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #7

Converter

Below link was a direct replacement for the Converter in my 2012 36RL. Best access was from the basement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires
jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

If it was just the DC fuse block you may be able to get a replacement block. You may want to give it some thought with replacing the power supply with a new 4 stage charger , they help with making battery last a little longer . Best converters can help you any any parts or tech support.

WFCO Converters
Old 03-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #9

Where is the power converter located on a 2015 3901 MB located
Bud’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud’s View Post
Where is the power converter located on a 2015 3901 MB located
I cant say for sure ours is RL model, But the 120 to 12vdc converter is located in the cabinet next to the exit door at the bottom. same brown box that has the 12 volt fuses and 120 volt breakers.