Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 01:06 AM   #1

Angry GFCI Issue

We have a bad GFCI receptacle or some other issue. My wife was using a hair dryer, as she always has done, and all the sudden we lost power in the GFCI plugs and cause a circuit to break somewhere. The refrigerator lost power, along with many other plugs. I checked all the GFCI receptacles that we could find and we searched everywhere so I am sure we found them all. In cabinets, storage area below, bathrooms, washer/dryer receptacles, outside and I am sure we found them all. They would trip when the test was pushed, except for one that was below in storage. I thought maybe it was bad and went and bought a new one at Lowes, 20 amp. I installed it and it also would not trip. I finally gave up and plan to call an RV mobile mechanic. Has anyone had this issue with a 2022 Redwood? Am I missing something?
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
We have a bad GFCI receptacle or some other issue. My wife was using a hair dryer, as she always has done, and all the sudden we lost power in the GFCI plugs and cause a circuit to break somewhere. The refrigerator lost power, along with many other plugs. I checked all the GFCI receptacles that we could find and we searched everywhere so I am sure we found them all. In cabinets, storage area below, bathrooms, washer/dryer receptacles, outside and I am sure we found them all. They would trip when the test was pushed, except for one that was below in storage. I thought maybe it was bad and went and bought a new one at Lowes, 20 amp. I installed it and it also would not trip. I finally gave up and plan to call an RV mobile mechanic. Has anyone had this issue with a 2022 Redwood? Am I missing something?
Did you get all the other circuits working? It’s odd the fridge quit working as that “should” be on a separate circuit. Only the plugs on the GFI circuit don’t work? If so, you or the mechanic will need to physically follow from the GFI circuit wire to the breaker box. Since the GFI plug is the first plug in that circuit it should be somewhat easy. If there is not 110V on the bare supply wire then the issue is either at the breaker or in the Romex wire in between somewhere. I’m betting the wire where it attaches to the breaker is loose.

On a side note: I actually found a place where our bedroom circuit had arced itself open where the Romex wire ran between 2 metal parts of the frame. It wore through the insulation over time and arced itself in half.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #3

Inverter

Did you check that the inverter was back on?
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #4

Yes, it would come on for a second and back off. I gave up and took it to the dealership. It’s warranty anyway, just a pain taking it in. I’m curious to find out what was wrong. I’ll post the results so it might help someone else out. Thanks for the suggestions!
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #5

Circuit breaker tripped

Did you check the circuit breaker on the post outside? Also could you have a Bad connection with the cord? Both things happened to us. Had to replace the cord. The frig would work on propane
jeanieschmitt@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote