Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

Getting Ready for the winter

We will be receiving our new Redwood about the middle of October and I had some questions about storing it for the winter. I am good with winterizing it as I had a Tiffin motorhome that I winterized each year. My question is more about security and security systems. The Redwood will be in a trailer park over a 100 miles away, any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering if anyone uses the Tyvek trailer covers during the winter. I am in Ontario Canada so expect to receive snow during the winter season....Ian
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Team

I have mine insured so if someone takes it, I'll turn it into insurance. As for the cover, I have full paint and I would worry about the paint getting scratched. I always leave mine out in the snow and Ice without a problem.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
We will be receiving our new Redwood about the middle of October and I had some questions about storing it for the winter. I am good with winterizing it as I had a Tiffin motorhome that I winterized each year. My question is more about security and security systems. The Redwood will be in a trailer park over a 100 miles away, any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering if anyone uses the Tyvek trailer covers during the winter. I am in Ontario Canada so expect to receive snow during the winter season....Ian
Will the RV be under any kind of shelter? Would worry most about the weight of the snow on the roof (esp. wet snow) though certainly there are thousands of RVers across Canada who do it without a shelter.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

Hi Ian, no shelter that was why I asked about the the covers if they are any good? Thanks
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
Hi Ian, no shelter that was why I asked about the the covers if they are any good? Thanks
No experience with covers unfortunately. My guess is that with all the snow, freezing, and thawing that they would last only a few seasons. But, having some additional security that there is less chance of a leak is hard to put a price on.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #6

Hi Ian:

Not sure where you are in Ontario, we are in the southwest area, but still on the fringe of the "snow belt". We do get some snow here but we haven't covered any RV's we've had (starting in the 1980's) and haven't had a problem with snow load on the roof.

We are fortunate in that we now winter in the southwest US and haven't had snow (except for in Tuscon in March of 2013!).
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #7

I used a cover for the first time last year. We had record snow (75") and the cover was great. We wanted to get into the rv a couple of times and it was accessible thru the zipper near the door. It was stored under trees where I normally get black streaks from the dirty leaves and small branches. No problem. When I took the cover off it was clean as when I put the cover on.
Dave Right is offline   Reply With Quote