Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #1

Generator Install on 2021 4001LK

I recently purchased a new 4001LK that has the generator prep package. I am good on all the electrical and control aspects of the installation but cannot find any info on the LP gas supply. One person advised to install a tee at the bottom of the regulator and supply gas from there. Looking for confirmation that the standard regulator has enough capacity and information on what size fuel supply line to run. Thanks
G Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:30 PM   #2

I maybe wrong but I think when a generator is installed they typically only connect to the curb side tank for the generator only. The drivers side is left connect to the coach. If you ever run the generator over night in a cold climate you can stay warm without power assuming you run out of fuel in the generator.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #3

Personally I'd tee it downstream of the changeover regulator, open both tanks & you should be good, if one bottle empties it automatically switches to the other. With 2 30lb (14 gallons) bottles you should be good overnight, or a few nights, even running the furnace, then refill as necessary when the indicator shows red on the regulator or upgrade to 2 40lbers (18 gallons) should get a week +. At night running the furnace, biggest gas hog onboard, shouldn't use much propane running the generator to keep batteries charged & every little other load.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Personally I'd tee it downstream of the changeover regulator, open both tanks & you should be good, if one bottle empties it automatically switches to the other. With 2 30lb (14 gallons) bottles you should be good overnight, or a few nights, even running the furnace, then refill as necessary when the indicator shows red on the regulator or upgrade to 2 40lbers (18 gallons) should get a week +. At night running the furnace, biggest gas hog onboard, shouldn't use much propane running the generator to keep batteries charged & every little other load.
This is how mine is done ^^^^^
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #5

I had my generator installed by the dealer on my last 5th wheel. They t'ed off the bottom of the main fuel line. Before I traded that unit in on my current 2020 3981FK, I removed the generator. I installed it in the 3981FK the same way as was installed in my last RV and have had no problems. The generator is an Onan RV QG 5500 LP. I run my with all the AC running in the hot climate and the 30lb tank lasts about 8 hours and the auto switch easily transfers to the other tank without generator interruption. Also note that I had the generator prep package in the 3981FK. When installed properly, I can control the generator from the In-Command system.
jawolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #6

That is how ours was installed on our 2016 39MB.