RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Rosey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 299
Had a Generac installed by my dealer on our last 5er ,(Cardinal) with no metal enclosure. Worked just fine. Personally I'd opt for propane or diesel as I've read online about carbs. on RV gensets having issues with gumming up from the ethanol sitting in fuel bowls unless you're going to "exercise" the gen. often.
__________________
Mike & Gayle
Our 3 fur children "Ting-Tang"&"Saylor"(Shih Tsu's) &"Kai" (Finnish Spitz)
2007 Silverado Classic 3500 LT C.C. Longbed Dually,
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
Actually, any generator should be exercised on a regular basis. If you go with a gasoline genny, you really should use a fuel preservative such as Sta-bil, and use it religiously.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 316
I spoke to Tiara and Onan in Elkhart. They are within $200 of each other. Going to go with the 7k gas fuel injection with a 14gal tank. This will give about 20 hours of run time at full / full load. At 1/2 load I will run for about 35 - 45 hours. And with the 7k I can run the 2 - ACs / induction cook top / fridge and battery charger / inverter with a couple of amps left over. Where the 5.5 can be cutting it close with only 1 AC running.
thanks for all the input. Once I get it done will post picks of the install as they are doing the job
__________________
Meet Teddy Bear
Make Every Day Count
2016 Denali 3500 Diesel SRW
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted 95 View Post
I spoke to Tiara and Onan in Elkhart. They are within $200 of each other. Going to go with the 7k gas fuel injection with a 14gal tank. This will give about 20 hours of run time at full / full load. At 1/2 load I will run for about 35 - 45 hours. And with the 7k I can run the 2 - ACs / induction cook top / fridge and battery charger / inverter with a couple of amps left over. Where the 5.5 can be cutting it close with only 1 AC running.
thanks for all the input. Once I get it done will post picks of the install as they are doing the job
What are they charging for the entire install and parts ?
__________________
2020 F-350
2020 3991RD with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #25
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,890
Very interested in seeing the setup also. When I go to a gen I'd like to do either gas or diesel for the same reasons you did. Lot longer run time. Let us know how they're going to do the tank.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 316
Complete install with 7k fuel injected unit. steel 14 gal tank, sheet metal cubical, transfer sw, start stop sw up stairs with hour meter, exhaust. complete a-z between $6500 - $7000. he says it should be closer to the $6500 price but wants to have the room if needed. I may have them change the transfer switch to sure guard with built in surge protection and that will bring it up 3-400$. Both Tiara and the Onan dealer were close. But i feel with the Onan dealer they know their units. And when i asked what exhaust they use i was told they make all their exhaust pipe to measure as it depends where I want the tail pipe coming out. They are also a Coach Care repair shop and can work on anything. Blair was really helpful. I'm actually booked to have the work done the week of July 25. Just before the rally.
__________________
Meet Teddy Bear
Make Every Day Count
2016 Denali 3500 Diesel SRW
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
That's a good number. I went with gasoline for the additional run time as well. Have not been disappointed.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,026
That is a good number... The ONLY reason I stayed away from Gas was the amount I will use it... 2 weekends a year , and the possible occasional use during travel.. I did not want to deal with gummed up carb issues.. and stale gas..
If I wee to use it more , it would be gas for sure..
__________________
2020 F-350
2020 3991RD with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
Is generatorphile a word? Regardless, I don't want to sound like one. Since I'm in the business, there's another somewhat less important reason why I went with gasoline. This engine is a little more "torquey" which enables a larger load to be dumped onto the alternator at any one time. As far as I'm concerned, the only situation where you would see this being important is when two A/C units might (very rare, I admit) start at the same time. Would I ever be able to measure the increased life that might be gained for the capacitors? No! But I can sleep better at night.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,890
Wayne - get ready to show the install a bunch at the Rally ! I know I will want to see it no I'm sure there are a bunch more. We are planning to be fulltime in about 6 months and at that time I really want to do a mounted generator. I like the idea of the extended runtime.

A thought - have you asked if they can add a second, glass pack style non- restrictive muffler to quiet it down some more ?
Also - a couple of years ago at a big air show I looked at some very lightweight and very effective noise insulation that was self adhesive. I'm thinking if you added that to the outside surfaces of the enclosure it might cut the noise even more. I'd also consider a hard rubber insulating mat for mounting.

If you'd like, I'll try and research the noise stuff and send you the link.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
That is a good number... The ONLY reason I stayed away from Gas was the amount I will use it... 2 weekends a year , and the possible occasional use during travel.. I did not want to deal with gummed up carb issues.. and stale gas..
If I wee to use it more , it would be gas for sure..
that is why Blair suggested the fuel injected unit. His advise was if you do not use it 2-3 times a month you will be changing the carb 5-6 times a year as they cannot be cleaned
__________________
Meet Teddy Bear
Make Every Day Count
2016 Denali 3500 Diesel SRW
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:12 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Wayne - get ready to show the install a bunch at the Rally ! I know I will want to see it no I'm sure there are a bunch more. We are planning to be fulltime in about 6 months and at that time I really want to do a mounted generator. I like the idea of the extended runtime.

A thought - have you asked if they can add a second, glass pack style non- restrictive muffler to quiet it down some more ?
Also - a couple of years ago at a big air show I looked at some very lightweight and very effective noise insulation that was self adhesive. I'm thinking if you added that to the outside surfaces of the enclosure it might cut the noise even more. I'd also consider a hard rubber insulating mat for mounting.

If you'd like, I'll try and research the noise stuff and send you the link.
Onan does sell a muffler for about $50 i thought I saw. I will probably have it added. I also understand when they make the enclosure they wrap the outside with an aluminum insulation. I will be picking the unit up from the my dealer who is doing a PDI / inspection for me on the 27th.
From there I will be sending Blair pics and measurements of the cabinet so he can plan out the layout. Will keep posted. Also any additional info would be great... Thanks
__________________
Meet Teddy Bear
Make Every Day Count
2016 Denali 3500 Diesel SRW
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×