Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Furnace Issues

we have a 2014 36rl. and when we purchased it a few weeks ago, the furnace worked. now that it's cold and needed, it won't come on. The fan don't come on. Can anyone help with this?
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

You need to do a little trouble .shooting... first are you plugged into shore power ?..do you have a battery monitor...(I believe the furnace will not function if your battery power gets to low.(11.7 volts)...when you turn up the thermostat do you hear a click from the furnace when you set the temp.higher ?....propane supply good.?...(range top burners fire up nicely).... a few things to start looking at...common problems are too low voltage...and poor / non functioning thermostats(internal.contacts in thermostat worn out or dirty )...give things a look...and get back to us...Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
par

I had a similar problem several years ago and of course you only discover this when you need it. Basically this problem was intermittent. I have an extended warranty so I did not want to 'mess around' with this. Long story short the circuit board in the furnace had to be replaced.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Thanks for responding....
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

It is cold in Texas so of course my heater/furnace stopped in the middle of the night. I am living in my rv and am located in a resort property. Everything electric is working except the furnace. Nothing happens when toggling the main breaker. No clicks or sounds when turning heat off or on or raising thermostat ( it is 54 degrees in here now.
I only know of one breaker box inside the pantry when you enter the rv.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Are there additional breaker boxes I’m not aware of?
Dpskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpskee View Post
It is cold in Texas so of course my heater/furnace stopped in the middle of the night. I am living in my rv and am located in a resort property. Everything electric is working except the furnace. Nothing happens when toggling the main breaker. No clicks or sounds when turning heat off or on or raising thermostat ( it is 54 degrees in here now.
I only know of one breaker box inside the pantry when you enter the rv.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Are there additional breaker boxes I’m not aware of?
If your coach has the electric fireplace, I would turn it on. It can do a good job in an emergency.

Relative to your furnace, you may need to call out a technician to check it. You don't show any information as to the year of manufacturing of your coach. In my case with our 2012 (built in 2011) Redwood 36RL, the furnace control board failed after 6 years. I am a retired engineer and was able troubleshoot the issue. But, I also found that the entire furnace had been installed improperly and I had to redesign the installation so that the furnace could be serviced properly. That is why I would recommend a mobile RV service technician with furnace experience check it out for you.

Hope this helps and good luck.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

Your furnace is powered by your 12 volt batteries so there will not be a breaker tripped, check your batteries. If you're RW is 4-5 years old it may time for new batteries.
Are you sure you have propane or has one emptied & you need to open the other bottle? Open the valves on the bottles slowly, if not the safety device thinks there's a leak & shuts off the flow. If sure you have propane you may want to close the bottle, loosen the lines til you hear a small bit of gas release, then reconnect & open them slowly then check all 3-4 burners on your cooktop at once to be sure you have gas flow.
The year & model of your RW would be helpful in giving good advice. If you go to the "CP" on the page header you can add that info in the "signature" drop down.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

It is 2015 and I had no idea that heat pumps switch to propane. Both 30lb tanks empty so that’s my next errand. In meantime I read about fireplace and was able to turn it up. I’m using small ceramic heater in bedroom on Low. Temp has gone from 53 to 69. So I’m ok and I’ll be better prepared next time we get below freezing. Texas has entered winter early!
Dpskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #9

The furnace is gas, the heat pump is electric. Once indoor temp drops below your tstat set temp the heat pump will blow cold air & furnace will ignite to catch the temp up. The HP is not effecient at outdoor temps below about 40 degrees plus you need the furnace running to aid in keeping water lines from freezing as it blows warm air underneath. Your furnace only blows from floor vents & HP only from ceiling vents along with the air conditioners.
With empty propane bottles you'll have no furnace. As mentioned earlier when reconnecting the propane lines open valves slowly.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 AM   #10

Also, when reconnecting refilled propane bottle(s) use the large burner on the stove, assuming you have a gas cooktop to evacuate all air in the lines until propane gets to the stove and it will light. Then there should be gas present at the furnace and it should light on the first cycle.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

ok, so the mobile rv came out yesterday and said that it was the blower motor. at $249 for parts and $200 for labor... i guess it pays to know how to work on those kinds of things.. thank all of you for your input.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknnell View Post
ok, so the mobile rv came out yesterday and said that it was the blower motor. at $249 for parts and $200 for labor... i guess it pays to know how to work on those kinds of things.. thank all of you for your input.

That labor rate sounds about right. But, the motor price sounds high. I checked the price on Amazon for the price on the motor used in my coach (same model 36RL as yours) and the price is around $100.00.

Your furnace may be different than what is in mine.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #13

That's what i was thinking,,, the part was a little high, i think they all have the atwood furnace in them,,i think that was in the manual. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknnell View Post
That's what i was thinking,,, the part was a little high, i think they all have the atwood furnace in them,,i think that was in the manual. Thanks for your reply.

ours has a suburban furnace If I recall . Glad I can fix all these issues , the shameless bills some of these company write!