Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #1
par

Furnace

This is for those of you with a 2014 FL36. As Canadians we are not able to travel south this year and we are trying to copy with a Canadian Winter.
My question is: Out of my furnace I have 5 ducts that appear to be coming out of the furnace. I can account for 2 of them, but I have no idea where the other 3 are going. One duct is going straight up into the front living room. The other duct is feeding a rectangular duct going to the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. I have no idea where the other 3 ducts are going. Somehow they seem to be going into the pantry between the living room and kitchen. It's a cupboard that contains the pantry, small closet, and the controls for the slides, etc... But that does not make any sense, there are no exit ducts in that area. Does anyone have any idea where those ducts are going???
Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #2

One should be going to the pass through storage area
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
par

I assume you are talking about the "basement"? If so, I assure you there are no ducts dumping heat into the basement. Also the basement in the FL36 does not pass through, there is only one access hatch located on the door side of the 5th wheel.
Thanks for your input!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #4

On our 2013 36 FL we have one going straight up to register in the living room, one goes to the register next to the bathroom door in the kitchen, one goes to the vent under the bath room sink and the last one goes to the register in the bedroom. the other thing that I did was went to home depot and bought registers that I could dampen or close and replace all of them so I could control the air flow. As you probably figured out the bed room has alot of heat going to it, blows lots of air. I think this is because this is normally the living room on most all other models. So you would want it warm there. So thats why i install adjustable register years ago.
I adjust the bedroom register to about 3/4 closed, theres no adjustability for the bath room, we close the bath room door, the kitchen register we close to just alittle over 1/2 closed and leave the living room full open. We have a fire place so turn that on while we are watching tv. We leave the thermostat at about 68 while were up and turn it down to 62 at night. We like it cool where we sleep. We turn the fire place off and turn on a fan to move air around. the whole house stays pretty even at night. When were not paying for electric we use the fire place all night with the gas heat. Its tricky getting the fire place set just right so it isn't to hot and it cycles the thermostat.
One other thing to make sure you do and this is for anyone that has a fireplace is when your using it to not just turn it off as its still throwing out heat. 1st turn down the thermostat on your fire place. This allows the heat elements to cool off along with the thermistors that control the thermostat. Once its blowing cool air which takes less then a minuet then turn fireplace off. Doing all of this we have been nice in warm in -20F. We go thru 1-40# tank in about 7 days when its in the 20 to 40 degrees. When we were in the -20 temps it was every 4 to 5 days.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
par

Thanks for the info!
Just to be clear, the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom are fed by a single square duct that runs under the floor. That square duct is fed from one round duct that comes out the furnace. As you mentioned, there is another round duct that feeds the living room. Out of the furnace there are 3 other rounds ducts and I have no idea where they are going or what it's all about?
Speaking of the square duct, at one point we had practically no air coming out of the bathroom and bedroom ducts. I removed the vent covers and using a mirror and flashlight and checked the duct. All seemed good, and could not figure out what was wrong. So I then asked my wife to start the furnace while I was looking in the duct. Sure enough, the duct was obstructed by a piece of foil inside the duct that got loose and basically acted like a valve and stopped the air flow. Finally we were getting somewhere, now the trick was to remove that loose piece which was located about halfway between the kitchen and bathroom vents, almost inaccessible. It took about an hour or so with a stiff wire to pull that piece out.
Is your 5th-wheel skirted? Mine is not, we are going through propane much faster than you are.
Thanks Again,
Paul