Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
par

Full-Body Paint Issues

Does anybody know if there is a warranty on the full-body paint?
I am totally discouraged with the look of one side of our trailer. It's loaded with tiny rope like cracks, maybe the clearcoat.
When we purchased this unit, we put out the extra money for the full-body paint instead of decals. We all know what happens with decals over the years and we did NOT expect this to happen to our full-body paint.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by par View Post
Does anybody know if there is a warranty on the full-body paint?
I am totally discouraged with the look of one side of our trailer. It's loaded with tiny rope like cracks, maybe the clearcoat.
When we purchased this unit, we put out the extra money for the full-body paint instead of decals. We all know what happens with decals over the years and we did NOT expect this to happen to our full-body paint.

Is it a side that faces the SUN most of the day??

Any paint, if not protected will be effected by direct sun.. We try to put at least 1 -2 coats of either spray wax, or paste wax yearly on our full body paint to "protect" it from sun damage,,
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Is it a side that faces the SUN most of the day??

Any paint, if not protected will be effected by direct sun.. We try to put at least 1 -2 coats of either spray wax, or paste wax yearly on our full body paint to "protect" it from sun damage,,
You are correct, somewhat...
The trailer has been in the current position for 2 years since we were not able to head South due to Covid. Normally when we travel the trailer gets different exposure.
I did a 3 coat job, cut, polish, and wax about 5 years ago, and wash the unit regularly.
I am in the process of doing another 3 coat job, arguably too late.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:05 PM   #4

Talk to a local body shop, they may have some secret to help with your issue.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:41 PM   #5

I have the same issue on my 2019. My shop told me the only solution was to keep it out of the sun. This was from a tech that was visiting from AZ. Disappointed about the full body paint as well, here in Colorado Springs, the UV rays kill graphics, hence why we went with paint. I will try the wax option, anyone have recommendations on what brand of wax to use?
ramaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #6

Not sure its a good solution but it is a solution, you could do a full wrap. Then you are back to stickers. I don’t know anything about them but I imagine they are expensive. Not sure how they actually hold up in the sun.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Top quality wrap film will go 7-8 years, maybe 9. A top quality wrap will be about $15-17 / sqft installed. So …. Say the side is roughly 10x40, you’re looking at 400x15/17 for each side, plus the front and back. I used to own a graphics company. The last 35’ Race Car trailer we did a wrap on was over $7500.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:10 AM   #8

Believe it or not, our 2013 has been in Florida full time since 2016. The decals still look good. The front and rear caps that were painted under warranty. Not so much.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:08 AM   #9

My first three Rv's were not full body paint, and even though I washed and waxed them regularly you could notice the fading and graphics pealing. There is a lot of sunny days here in Colorado. With my RW I again would wash and wax it often, but I would put a cover on it while in storage. What a "PAIN" it was putting that cover on. Any little bit of wind and I thought I was a goner. Then some years back my wife and I found our dream home that also came with an enclosed RV garage. I have to say my 8 year old RW still looks pretty good, and what a blessing it is to have that garage to protect it.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote