Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #1

Front crack

I have had this a while but it seems to be getting bigger. Any suggestions?
My Redwood is a 2012 RL. I don't know where to go with this. Any suggestions?
/Users/davidtanner/Desktop/IMG_0603.jpeg
/Users/davidtanner/Desktop/IMG_0602.jpeg
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

I’ve seen several threads where this happens. Not just here but other brands also. Probably just flex but Lippert has a process posted where you can check flex tolerances. Most repair shops that don’t find any issues through Lipperts process will install trim over the crack to hide it.

Theres a thread just a couple down from this one discussing an issue like this.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #3

I've owned 3 5th wheels, 2 have had a crack in the lower corner of the slide, the other had it at the top corner. I added the trim piece to my RW long before the frame flex issue was mentioned.
If you walk around a campground look at 5th wheels, I'd bet most have a crack or a trim piece covering that crack.
I can't believe all of them have cracked frames or welds & about to fall apart.
In that narrow area there's a very thin layer of Filon covering about a 3/8" thick narrow piece of plywood with the stress & strain of the slide hanging on it, it's surprising it doesn't crack the 1st time the slide is extended.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Like Danny stated, I've had those cracks since my first fifth wheel back in 08... That was a KZ and they (KZ)cut a straight line up and down and installed a trim piece.... Never happened again, my 2016 and 2020 Redwoods BOTH had that trim piece from the start.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #5

Hi "travelin' texans" and "Ford truck guy", I just posted a new thread titled "Bedroom Slide Flexing Issue" last weekend and realized I should have titled it Bedroom Slide Stress Crack. My thread on this has not received a single post since I created the thread and perhaps my title minimized interest. If you go to my Thread you will see pictures taken of the crack and more importantly the actual damage that has occurred after my 2015 36RL Bedroom Slide was removed (and more pictures could be taken) and work being done to correct this problem Both supporting studs (Left and Right) that support the Schwintec slide system and overall structure are out of Plumb and now requiring welding in additional support in this area in addition to adding more structural support. Given the number of trim pieces I have also seen covering up cracks, this appears as to be a more common issue with slides in close proximity to the front of the coach and the minimal support systems designed into the construction for the mechanism (Schwintec), which as we know creates a lot of torque in the in and out process. Again check the Thread, "Bedroom Slide Flexing Issue".
Cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #6

I'm not gonna argue the point that your Redwood has an issue.....

What I believe Danny was saying, and I agreed with was that MOST of the time, its a function of simple pin flex that is normal..

Almost ALL RV's with that front slide has the molding placed under that corner of the slide..
Old 11-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #7

I agree with you Ford truck guy, I only wanted to point out that we began to hear loud clunking sounds when the bedroom slide was brought in and caused some concerns. During the check by the Service Company they were able to determine that the Left Stud had issues well beyond the Stress Crack Cut and the obvious noises. That is why the Slide was removed and the weld break was there and needed fixing. Since they are doing that, they will also be reinforcing and tying that stud to the smaller stud forward for additional support.

The Right Stud is also out of plumb and therefore all the lower screws which help support the Schwintec System were not in play. Over a year ago another dealer, with support from Redwood, ended up putting a thru-bolt on the bottom flange and that resolved the movement on that side which occurred when the slide was in. That was the solution back then and trying to keep from removing the slide for more detailed examination. The current repairs in progress will be adding aluminum and bracing will also bring the right side more into plumb so that the all the lower screws on that side can hit metal as well.

Our King Pin was also slightly out of Plumb relative to the Lippert frame which caused the initial investigation. The whole Lippert Structure supporting the King Pin was checked and it is in great shape and the flex is simply the load/unload movement. The King Pin itself was corrected when the skin was removed as to the mount frame needing adjustment. Thanks again for your comments and hopefully you were able to see my pictures on the other thread.

The Bedroom
Cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:46 AM   #8

I had the same crack happen. The dealer said he was unable to fix it when it didn.t pass Redwoods measurement test. We dropped it off in Goshen at the repair facility. They needed to remove the skin and weld the frame, add a plywood support and replace the skin with a new fibreglass skin. Looked minor like a stress crack, but not so.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
I had the same crack happen. The dealer said he was unable to fix it when it didn.t pass Redwoods measurement test. We dropped it off in Goshen at the repair facility. They needed to remove the skin and weld the frame, add a plywood support and replace the skin with a new fibreglass skin. Looked minor like a stress crack, but not so.

When was that repair made? I am curious how well the repair has held up.....
Old 11-29-2022, 09:14 PM   #10

The repair was done late spring 2019. There was a piece of trim placed over where the crack was originally and this covered the joint between the old skin under the slide and the new piece of skin to the front.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Team

My 2013 36RL had pretty much the same issues as Elliott. The service center in Goshen did ours also. Was done in 2017, pretty much as Elliott described. The aluminum frame welds had broken and the subframe separated from the main frame. Randy told me they were seeing this in 2012-2014 units and that the front frame was reinforced and larger attaching bolts used starting in 2015 production. Seemed to be more prevalent in units that were predominantly on the east coast ( were thinking the wonderful roads in the east).

After ours was repaired, we have pulled it another 24k miles since then with no issues. Note that I do have the MorRyde IS and disc brakes. Also a cushioned hitch.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #12

The fix has held up well. I'd take out the rear view mirror from my truck if it was legal so I wouldn't have to see the flexing from the crappy roads here in the east.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:10 PM   #13

What was the name of the facilities? Was it Redwood's service facilities??
PJarosz is offline   Reply With Quote