Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2021, 02:15 AM   #1

From a 5th wheel to a pusher

I've seen were some RW owners moved from their RW 5th wheels to a diesel pusher. I still love my RW, but am starting to consider eventually moving to a diesel pusher. I am curious for those who have made the move from a 5th wheel to a pusher if they miss anything about their 5th wheels. May not get many responses, but if any past RW owners are still hanging around would love to hear your replies.
Thanks
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:20 AM   #2

I'm not a convert to a diesel pusher, but after our RW & doing a good bit of looking at other options, that would be the only drive able I'd consider as a replacement.
The gasser class A's in the past only came with the Ford chassis with the V10. I'm not a Ford fan & couldn't afford the gas for that engine. It has proven to be a good engine right up til Ford discontinued it, but listening to it scream up every incline & unable to pass a gas station, I'd have to pass on a gasser class A.
The class C's have recently offered something other than Ford chassis, but they have very little storage inside & out, plus loosing a big chunk of living area due to the cockpit.
The class B's are ridiculously expensive for what there is, probably get a good used diesel pusher for the same money, or less. If all you'd plan to do is drive & sleep I guess they'd work, but you'll have to go outside to change your mind or turn around.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #3

Just remember with the DP if your power plant need service you lose your home at the same time.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #4

Having had all the types from Class A gas, DP to FW and now back to Class A gas I would say they all have a purpose based on your use. For us a Class A gas works for how we RV now 1 - 3 week long trips where we move a lot. If We were Full Time a DP would be our choice. The RW was good when were in one location for long periods but to big for weekends and state parks. I say find what works best for you go that route.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #5

A friend of mine has had 2 DP. and then decided to down size to 5th wheel stayed with it for a year. And now going to buy another DP. They didn't quit get a handle on the hooking and unhooking. I think 5th wheels have more room and options.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

Ive had 2 DP, 3 gas class A's, and 2 5th wheels. I had a 5th wheel and a DP at the same time and now have Redwood 31sl and Arctic Fox 811s truck camper. A DP is great but overall I think it is the most expensive to operate and maintain. The truck I have is used quite regularly for day to day activities. And easy to load and go. Truck camper for traveling from place to place on a daily basis. 30 minutes and ready to go. Park anywhere you would park a dually. Redwood for staying someplace for a while. It takes a lot more planning for a DP and you most likely will have a toad. For me, the 5th wheel is the easiest, quickest, and the cheapest over a DP. Just one elderly man's opinion.
Donnie & Kathy, 2017 31SL, SRE 4000, Goodyear H 17.5's, Kodiak Disc, Brakerite Actuator, Joyrider Shocks, Timken Bearings and Seals, 2019 Ram 3500 Dually, Mega Cab, HO Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4.10 Ratio.
Dart540 is offline   Reply With Quote