Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Has anyone had any problems? This is our second, first was replaced because of open neutral ground power surge in the shore cord, now this one which we have had for less than 3 months just quit heating on microwave. Timer runs down, turntable goes round and round but it won't heat. Anyone else?
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

I have the same unit in my 38GK but have not had any problems. I have over 30 years experience repairing microwaves also. It could be a loose connection somewhere or bad control board or the magnetron tube. It will need to be checked by a technician most likely. I wouldn't recommend anyone without training to work on it. Some components hold a powerful charge of electricity even with the unit unplugged.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

I have suspected the magnetron tube since it was set for 3 minutes and I could hear the customary hum until 1 minute into the cycle... at which time it didn't sound the same. Thanks for your expert opinion.
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

The mag tube uses high voltage from the transformer to generate a strong radio frequency. But it also has a very low voltage called a filament voltage. If the wires at the mag tube are loose, it can prevent the filament from energizing and letting the mag tube load up. I've found that on more units than I can count.