Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

Fridge won't stay on

We have a 2017 RW and just plugged into the house power at our home. The refrigerator will not stay on.. So Hubby unplugged from the wall ran an extension cord to plug by microwave and fridge works.. Any idea what is going on and/or how to correct . We leave for a 2 week trip Monday so no time now for service center..
thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Barnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

It would help to know if you have RV fridge (propane) or residential. If residential, sounds like your inverter has stopped working. Check your battery supply, or however it passes shore power through to your residential.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

It's residential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnjess View Post
It's residential.

Also the fridge doesn't work when we are not connected to shore power. So we do have a problem with inverter.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

Check the GFCI, it may have tripped.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Not sure since we don't have a newer coach, but I think Redwood wired the fridge on its own circuit, so don't think it's a GFCI problem. You'll have to find out how your inverter passes power through to the fridge when plugged into shore power. If it also doesn't work off the batteries, I would say you have a battery problem, loose cable problem, or the inverter has failed. Seems to me there has been a fair number of people who have reported problems with their inverter. I don't have the inverter Redwood has installed in their newer coaches, but I would think a closer look at yours is warranted.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

GFC seem to all be fine. And it does work plugged into different plug so we are thinking its the inverter. We will try to charge batteries more and see if they hold, but I don't think that is the problem.. One more thing for service center when we finish this trip. At least at this rate everything will be repaired at once and we SHOULD be good to go. I so hope so.. just irritating...

Old 09-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #8

If you have the Magnum Inverter it has a built in Transfer Switch, so once it detects Shore Power it passes it directly to the outlet in the cabnet next to the Fridge where it's plugged in.
What reading to you get when on the Inverter Remote when you disconnect shore power?
It should give you a reading of the Voltage, the Current being drawn from the Batteries, and display "Invert"
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #9

We have a Machum inverter. Gives 11.7 reading on inverter when unplugged from shore. Front battery is 13.84 rear battery is 11.88. After being plugged into 110 since 8 am. same reading on inverter when plugged into truck

Old 09-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #10

Depending on the settings of the Inverter 11.7 may be too low.
Are you sure that the Battery disconnect switch isn't in the wrong position??
The batteries should be connect in parallel so you should read the same on both. Sounds like yours are not or the disconnect has disconnected one battery.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-10-2017, 01:05 AM   #11

Battery disconnect is in correct position. However there is a very lose wire from that battery to the on/off switch. Hubby will tighten that tomorrow. Tonight he will watch OU and Ohio State. Football wins I'll let you know how that works tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

Old 09-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #12

Tell Hubby to check every connection he can as all RVs seem to have loose connections. Once he's done in the Battery compartment have him disconnect shore power, then pull the panel off the power distribution panel and check the tighteness on all the circuit breaker and fuses.
On our RL we were have strange power readings and found the main 12V line on the Battery Disconnect was ready to fall off because the nut was so loose.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
We have a Machum inverter. Gives 11.7 reading on inverter when unplugged from shore. Front battery is 13.84 rear battery is 11.88. After being plugged into 110 since 8 am. same reading on inverter when plugged into truck

Batteries charged all night and we tightened the one loose wire.. we are now able to use the plug that the fridge is supposed to use.. We will check the inverter after we get a full charge on the batteries to see if it will now work while we are driving.. Thank you all for your help...

Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Tell Hubby to check every connection he can as all RVs seem to have loose connections. Once he's done in the Battery compartment have him disconnect shore power, then pull the panel off the power distribution panel and check the tighteness on all the circuit breaker and fuses.
On our RL we were have strange power readings and found the main 12V line on the Battery Disconnect was ready to fall off because the nut was so loose.
Ditto on taking the time to check all connections. I would like to add, based upon experience, also lightly tug on each conductor to assure it is tight WITHIN the crimped connector. On my 36RL I found EVERY spade, ring and fork crimp connection loose. After a trip to HD to pick up boxes of each style I spent an entire day replacing loose crimp on and barrel connectors. Picked up some connectors at an auto parts store for the higher AWG DC power leads. As you noted the incoming AC and all battery connections should be disconnected before diving into this project. Great early spring or late fall project with LED portable lighting.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #15

We are going back to the dealership after this trip to get a list of small problems fixed. We will have them look at all the connections for the inverter at that time. Hopefully they will get every thing working correct this time.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
We have a 2017 RW and just plugged into the house power at our home. The refrigerator will not stay on.. So Hubby unplugged from the wall ran an extension cord to plug by microwave and fridge works.. Any idea what is going on and/or how to correct . We leave for a 2 week trip Monday so no time now for service center..
thanks

We have a 39MB 15 model, had a similar problem with our residential fridge, there is a 200 amp fuse on back wall above buzz bar that had blown located in front compartment, and that was keeping the refrigerator from working.
Our batteries had died when we left unit at dealer as they failed to cut off both power switches, and mechanic shot a quick charge through generator that blew the fuse. It did power the batteries long enough for us to raise landing legs, and we were told it would recharge while traveling to CG. It did not and we ran the refrigerator by extension cord until I could find the fuse as it was the weekend.
Everything else in unit worked of shore power except refrigerator and battery charge.
Hope this helps.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote