Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

Fresh water tank siphoning defect

Hi I have the fresh water tank siphoning defect. I read where people took it to the dealer to have it fixed but my nearest dealer in too far away. What did they do to fix it? Mine siphons off to where I only have 1/3 of a tank of water. Must be an easy fix.
Geo9350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
You can install a pex shutoff valve on the overflow line. Fill the tank and when the water starts to flow out the line turn the valve off
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
You can install a pex shutoff valve on the overflow line. Fill the tank and when the water starts to flow out the line turn the valve off

X2 ... under $8.00 at the big box stores . . BUT remember to leave it open once you get to were you are going.... And more importantly , make sure it is open when filling the tank...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #4

I valved mine

The actual overflow is between the drains

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I valved mine

The actual overflow is between the drains

In your last picture - looks just like mine - mine is the fresh water vent. Normally it is connected to the water fill valve assembly, between the city water and water tank fill. there is the small 3rd fitting w/ screen wire. All my previous units had the tank vent connected near that fill valve assembly, but not this one.. Well I guess both the vent and overflow don't have screens now..
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:08 AM   #6

On our 36RL there are two overflow drains. Both can drain off a third or more of the fresh water. Until I can remember to pick up some valves I inserted a "plug" in both lines. The plugs are caps from a plug-in room freshener. They are tapered and fit like a glove.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 830hvacman View Post
In your last picture - looks just like mine - mine is the fresh water vent. Normally it is connected to the water fill valve assembly, between the city water and water tank fill. there is the small 3rd fitting w/ screen wire. All my previous units had the tank vent connected near that fill valve assembly, but not this one.. Well I guess both the vent and overflow don't have screens now..
Ya, I think it is because the fill is inside of a cupboard. If it splashed out on travel it would soak your cabinet. All mine that were connected to the fill on prior units were also on the outside wall.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 AM   #8

Thanks all, I went out today and pulled the wall down so I could get to the hoses hooking up to the top of the tank. I thought maybe they had the overflow hose pushed down into the tank because it was siphoning off to 1/3 of a tank. So I unscrewed the hose off the top of the tank and found that that was the top of the hose, there was no hose going down into the tank. It didn't make sense to me why it would siphon with it ending at the top of the tank, you would think once the water level dropped down to below the top of the tank it would stop running out, but nooooo. Anyway I took your advise, went down and bought a pex valve and put it on the end of the hose sticking out the bottom of the RV. Doesn't make sense, but for some reason this tank must have something down into the tank from that connection so it is below the top of the tank and once it starts running it will siphon off 2/3s of the tank. I wonder if the dealers had to replace the tank to stop this problem. Our RV was made in 2013 I guess they had that problem in that yr and fixed it in the later models.
Geo9350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
Thanks all, I went out today and pulled the wall down so I could get to the hoses hooking up to the top of the tank. I thought maybe they had the overflow hose pushed down into the tank because it was siphoning off to 1/3 of a tank. So I unscrewed the hose off the top of the tank and found that that was the top of the hose, there was no hose going down into the tank. It didn't make sense to me why it would siphon with it ending at the top of the tank, you would think once the water level dropped down to below the top of the tank it would stop running out, but nooooo. Anyway I took your advise, went down and bought a pex valve and put it on the end of the hose sticking out the bottom of the RV. Doesn't make sense, but for some reason this tank must have something down into the tank from that connection so it is below the top of the tank and once it starts running it will siphon off 2/3s of the tank. I wonder if the dealers had to replace the tank to stop this problem. Our RV was made in 2013 I guess they had that problem in that yr and fixed it in the later models.
I have a 2016 that had the same issue... I put a valve on it before it could happen while camping.. no more issues
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Here is my theory....
i believe there may be a float valve inside the fresh water tank that is connected to the overflow line, the valve is like the one in a standard toilet, but the overflow is actuated when the tank is full. I think the valve stays on as the tank drains down to about 1/3 and then shuts off. If you watch your home toilet tank flush it seems to make sense. It may be that the wrong kind of float was installed or that the float needs adjustment, but I doubt if that is easy.
I like the manual cutoff idea and plan to do that and not worry about it!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

I searched the internet and all kinds of rigs have this same problem. They even say they go from a full tank that starts to overflow down to 1/3 of a tank when it stops!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #12

OK, I guess I will debunk my own theory. It is a syphoning issue. Some RV manufacturers are even installing the shutoff valve in the overflow line!