Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 03:19 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel Grease vs Plastic Disc

I have seen some people using a plastic disc vs old-fashioned grease on their fifth wheel hitch. Are these as good as old-fashioned grease and what are the pros & cons?
Tank427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank427 View Post
I have seen some people using a plastic disc vs old-fashioned grease on their fifth wheel hitch. Are these as good as old-fashioned grease and what are the pros & cons?
Used the disc for 15+ years, I'll take it over the greasy mess any day!
Still need to lube the hitch pivot points with a silicone spray or some type of dry lube, NOT WD40 it's a dust/dirt magnet.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

disk with lube on the lower pin where the jaw grabs . I found HD sells a spray dry lube that is for garage door tracks that is easy to keep on the pin and off your clothes if you in and out of the front basement.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #4

Plastic disc all the way! Rain used to make a mess in the bed of the truck with grease. Never again. Been using the same plastic disc for 5 years now and no reason to change it. I bought an extra just in case and it just sits on a shelf.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #5

Back in 2019 I backed into the hitch only to have one of the plastic tabs on the “lube” plate bend down and engage the lever that allows the safety pin to drop in without having the pin fully engaged. It was raining pretty hard and I only took a cursory look at the jaws to see if they were closed. I have since painted the jaws so that I can easily verify they are closed. It passed the pull test but when I started to turn out of the campsite the trailer dropped onto the bed. I now only use grease. I hang our welcome sign on the pin box, which helps steer people away from the pin and I usually don't spend much time in the bed of the truck and have not gotten greased by the hitch other then when I remove it, I sometimes get some on my hands.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote