Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #1

Question *Feedback from owners of Redwood Fifthwheels*

Hi Everyone,
We have narrowed down our search to a Redwood 3951 WB for full-timing next year. I noticed that it was difficult to find a lot of reviews out there on the Redwood rigs. YouTube is full of "reviews" and walkthroughs, but I haven't really found anything helpful in online searches, so I turn to YOU, AMAZING RV LOVERS!

One thing I read somewhere (it was a few years old) was that the WB model had some issues with venting the wine fridge, but that's about it. I've read some good things about Redwood as a higher end RV in general, which is good.
So......not sure if my inability to find anything out there on this specific model is a BAD thing or a good thing, in this case?

I welcome any feedback from you! Thanks for reading my post.

- Susan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

3901 wb 2020

We have a 2020 purchased new. As a 25 year houseboater I'm familiar with the issues of any recreational unit. There were some issues with the wine cooler that have been resolved. I consider the issues we have had to be more than I expected.
Below all covered by warranty
A complete failure of the in command system that had to be replaced.
Too many loose panels needing reattachment by dealer.
Several trips to the dealer for a water leaking bed slide-out
There are hard plastic runners on the bottom of the hydraulic slides and 2 have come loose requiring replacement.
Failure of led lights in the recliners
Loose wall seam covers
Oven that won't heat to temp on dial
Tearing of kitchen floor by slide out requiring replacement of entire floor
Placement of inverter that makes adjustments or changes almost impossible.
Little to no labeling of wiring in the battery compartment.
This being said I see many issues with other units that I attribute to poor assembly/workmanship and non existence of quality control.
Supply chain issues affected almost every issue requiring long stays at dealer.
Andypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

We bought our 3901WB in 2018 and love it. Anytime you by one of these you will have a laundry list of issues as you use it. A good dealer that has knowledgeable service department will do an extensive pre delivery inspection. Make them hook it up to water and power and allow you to run the sinks, toilets and empty the tanks and most importantly have them run the slides in and out with you watching from the inside and out. Look look for binding or anything that sounds or looks unnatural. Look closely at the hydraulic rams that push out the two main slides and make sure there is no leaking of fluid around the area where the ram comes out of the cylinder. Then take your time and inspect every seam on the exterior. Inside open and close every door. The more you catch now the easy it will be later on. They will take care of you because they want their money. Last but not least you have to LOVE to work on your unit as this will save you a bundle of time and money. A good service department is very important! In my experience the factory did take care of the cost of anything major under warranty.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

So helpful - thank you. When you mentioned “other units” you’re seen , did you mean Redwood or in general?
Old 10-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #5

Thank you - very helpful!
Old 10-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #6

I would look for a gently used one and let someone else take the huge depreciation on the new one. The warranty sucks and don’t buy into the “extended warranties” scam. It is just a big money maker for dealerships. Hopefully the previous owners have found and repaired all of the inevitable problems and they paid the initial loss on on the purchase. Also if you look up other post’s I believe you will find out the models up to the point where Crossroads bought them they were much better units. I would never buy one without 8000 lb axles and disc brakes.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Hi we have a 2020 3951MB that I purchased on our way back home from out cross country camping trip. Never used it due to Covid and personal medical reasons. Unit is new never slept in, water and sewer never used except when we did the inspection at the dealer. I also took notice to the limited storage space. I installed the sliding storage and that gave use a lot more room. This camper is loaded with 3 ac units, custom paint has every option except generator ( it is generator ready) and washer :dryer again it is ready for them. I’m open to offers. Any interest let me know..
Bakermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #8

Buy a used unit. If you buy a new one, an extended warranty is worth it. Repairs under warranty would have been 2 to 3 times the warranty cost.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #9

As many owners have pointed out the quality control in the RV industry is almost extinct because they are producing way more units then 2019. Having said that i would suggest finding a early 2020 model or slightly older , If you can find one with Morryde IS and disk brakes that is a bonus. Wish you the best and don't limit your search to your local area. If you get a duel wheel truck and a hitch take the road trip! We drove 4 hours on a Wednesday evening to look at a used Redwood that was posted on RVT.com . Glad to see you made it over here from IRV , great group of owners and help is just a case of asking for it!
Mark
Old 01-10-2022, 10:28 PM   #10

Hopefully, I am not too late to give some input. We ve been full timers since 2014, in our Redwood 38GK. It was an adjustment to go from 1800 sq ft to 530 sq ft. But all in all going well.

The Redwood is very well insulated, we are in northern CA, so do not get terribly cold, but can get hot. Best to find RV Parks to assure 50 AMP power to run dual ACs. In the 8 plus years the Redwood has had minimum issues. We had planned to travel, but loss of a family member changed our plans.

Only had a couple of warranty covered issues replacement of one AC unit, reseal of unit, leak in ice maker. Followed with every 2 yr toilet replacements, heater repairs, refrig repairs.

Be sure to keep a good and record of filter changes, black tank drain, etc., check the waterheater selinod/filiment it is aluminum may need frequent replacement if you have hard water.
gayboyd is offline   Reply With Quote