Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

Our new 36REhas arrivedat the dealer and we will be going over on Saturday, February 23,to give it the full inspection, etc. before we write the check.

The Redwood comes with a two year warranty and I am trying to determine if it truly covers "everything" regardless of the respective manufacturer's warranty on that component. Does it?

If so or if not, what is the general consensus regarding purchasing an extended warranty from Good Sam or some other insurer. Is it a worthwhile expenditure and do you purchase when the unit is new in spite of the two year factory warranty or do you wait and pay the used rate when the coach is approaching two years of age. I have Good Sam road coverage so the benefits that apply to delayed vacation, towing,etc. are already part of that coverage.

I have normally purchased the coverage on new motorhomes because of the one year warranty from the manufacturer and because of the high cost to repair a motorhome or to replace a major component.

Thoughts?
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

While we never purchase an extended warranty on any purchases, we did take the extended warranty when purchasing the RW. This is our first RV and it will be a steep learning curve figuring how all the systems work before I am comfortable making repairs.
If you do go for the extended warranty negotiate hard on the price, we saved about 30% on the initial price.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

I am a firm believer in the service contracts - especially in an RV. But, I do not plan to purchase until close to time (within 3 months) of the manufacturer warranty expiring. No need to pay for double coverage as only will pay for repairs.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

I am surprised that more folks didn't respond to this post.
I too, am interested to know how many folks purchased the warranty at date of rigpurchase or if they waited closer to the manufacturer warranty expiring.

We had hoped to purchase a while back, but like the ol' saying goes, "plans are written in jello"so we hope to purchase within the next few months.

Anyone else care to share?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

We just got offered the Xtraride by our Dealer yesterday. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good web page to go to to get details, so I'll have to wait to see what it is about.

When you say you wait until the manufacturer warranty is over, is it cheaper then or is it the same?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

All things are negotiable. Should be able to get one at around 60% of original offer.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Happy Camper, I wasn't sure if it would cost more since the Rig would be close to the two year old mark? If you are saying that we could negotiate 60% off the orignial quote then that would pay to hold off until (like you mentioned), roughly three months before the RW expiration date.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Ugh, I didn't purchase because my impression is that, like the auto industry extended warranties, they are notoriously difficult to collect against. Many stories about fighting for reimbursement, dealers not accepting, long delays for authorization, etc, etc.

If anyone has had a good experience being reimbursed for a major covered expense(s), on a timely basis, and the repairing dealer dealt directly with the warranty company so you didn't have to pay yourself upfront, I'd love to hear about it.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

We're going with "Self Insured". Any time we get some extra money, rebates, unexpected wind falls, etc we put that into our RV insurance fund. Most minor things we take care of our selves, fixing the washer drain hose, repairing melted wire nuts on the Hot Water relay box, and such. So the Insurance fund is for a major item such a replacing the fridge, furnace, hot water heater, something that is past the break even point of repair. Just our way of doing things, but certainly not for everyone.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

With all of the items on our 36FL we purchased the extended warranty when we purchased the unit.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

didn't buy the extended warranty i have things go wrong in the first year so never need it some things are prorated so you may have some cash layout
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #12

I used my extended warranty several times on the Jayco Designer. We replaced the living room AC once a year (4 total); the hot water tank once, the living room television once, the cable to the black tank once and the bedroom AC compressor once. All done under extended warranty with a $100.00 deductable and most of the time the dealership that I bought it from waived the deductable and once only charged me $50.00. The extended warranty definitely paid for itself.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

I look at the extended warranty as a gamble. You're betting that you will come out ahead, and the warrenty company is betting they will. So far, with 11 years of full timing, I am way ahead by not having the extended warranty. I guess everubody has to make their own decision as to whether it is a good deal for them or not.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #14

Extended warranty is highly recommended, when you own a redwood.

Lillyputz
lillyputz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #15

Will always have a Good Sam extended warraty...but then I am an insurance junkie and have insurance on everything. I have always come out ahead. Good to have when you have a black cloud over your head like I seem to have at times.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #16

Right on Lillyputz.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

thin k i'll wait till the factory warrenty runs out then decide my last unit was a hr 35 skt only thing had go wrong that was major was the batt charger/converter little thing was the clock in the microwave
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #18

The way
I look at it, there is a lot of new automatic stuff on the RW and I don't feel like worrying about what happens if sort of a thing. Got an extended warranty for the next 7 year for the price of 5. I think it is a good deal and peace of mind is good
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #19

Who did you use for that?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Wehad been offered the extended when we first ordered our rig for $2800..Turned it down then the day we went to pick up and sign all paper work the finance man came in and asked if the warranty extension had been offered...We told him yes but we felt $2800 was too much....He left and came back within 2 minutes and ask if we would take it for $1400. We agreed and he wanted to know if we wanted to roll it in to the balance we wanted to finance...".No we will write you a check" Yes it is the same package we would have paid $2800 for but just got it for 1/2 price.. I have found that through the years that extended warranties cost more on used items even when you bargain them down.....The warranty is exactly what it says it is what it is....It does not take affect until your warranty runs out with RW and the manufacturer's warranty of the item.....However they take your money, bank it and draw interest on it or use it to pay for someone else's claims for at least 2 years so they can afford to offer a better discounted rate when purchased at the original purchase...But you wait till the last moment they can hold you up for a little more because the policy takes affect immediately and they may have to start paying out almost immediately. I have a few extended that I bargained for a better price on household appliances and so far I have been way ahad by doing so..... Kind of off hte subject, but, if anyone is a veteran always ask wherevver you buy wheteher it be a car dealership, rv dealership, Home Depot , Lowe's on and on ifthey have a veteran's discount...90% hav a $500 dollar or 10% discount available to you.....USE IT YOU HAVE EARNED IT !!!!!!! I have been amazed at how many places do offer it and I didn't even have to buy a large item to get it...Home Depot offers it for every purchase no matter how small ..just carry your military ID or your DD214 for proof.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote