Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #1

Electric fireplace

Cannot get electric fireplace to turn on, I checked breaker etc. anyone have any ideas were I can start. Where is it plugged in? etc
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #2

Behind the drawer on the left bottom
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

I pulled out fireplace, it is held by four screws one in each corner. There is a connector between the black rolled electrical wire and the white romex that goes to the electrical plug where fireplace is plugged into. The wire came loose inside that connector. DW is a happy camper now
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by riciren View Post
I pulled out fireplace, it is held by four screws one in each corner. There is a connector between the black rolled electrical wire and the white romex that goes to the electrical plug where fireplace is plugged into. The wire came loose inside that connector. DW is a happy camper now
That is a major issue on the fireplaces. I have seen two dimplex fireplaces burn at that connection. Fortunately, the breaker went before the surrounding wood caught on fire.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

I wonder how many of those type connections are in the Redwood? The one I band aided needs to be replace, when I get back home going to Lowes and Home Depot to see if they have them or something similar.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #6

In our 36RL, the driver's side living room slide has three electrical circuits contained in it: 1. microwave 2. entertainment kitchen convenience outlets, and RV refrigerator/ice maker 3. fireplace. On our way to AZ last fall, when we pulled in and set up in Las Vegas, I noticed that the fridge was still on propane, even though we were plugged into 50A shore power. Also, none of the entertainment convenience outlets (TV, etc) would work either. All AC circuit breakers were on and normal. After we got to AZ where I had some time, found that those 3 circuits exit the load center (by the entrance door) as NM cable (romex) and then are spliced above the floor pan at the left rear of the coach. They then use flexible cord (what we called SO cord in the electrical world) to get up into the slide out. All those three cables terminate in a double duplex box to the left of the fireplace behind the left bottom drawer (the locked one in ours). They then branch out to their respective locations. The splice in the floor pan failed and our dealer ordered and fixed when we got home in April. Just some info for anyone who is curious or has the same issue.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by riciren View Post

I have already found two of these connections that were loose on our 36FL. Materials don't look to be the problem but it all goes back to the person assembling it at RW who does not have a clue how to snap them together. There is a clip and all they need to do after plugged in is give it a yank to make sure it does not come apart. Guess RW does not allow enough time for that????

Steve