Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Question Dull interior lights

I need some advise, we have a 2013 36fl unit, bought it as a new (used) demo..just replaced both batteries as the dealer reccomended I do it every 2-3 years..

I have extensively read this forum, and exhausted the return trip routine to the locl service centers.. to cure our light woes. Replaced/tightened all connections in the bulk head area, from the bus bar to the battery dis-connect switch, cleaned and tightened every connection on the fuse/power panel, re-tied/clamped what light switch connections i could access. RE DID THE 2 EXTERNAL GROUND WIRES TO BARE METAL AND ADDED A NEW GROUND BOLT. Yet our lights are still very very dull. Only when the battery charger kicks in will they get to what we feel is bright enough, but it will only last for a few second to a minute tops. Either plugged into to shore power, or with the genny running they seem way too dull, during the day or night. we have 12.9 to 13.1 volts showing on the level up panel, and on the volt meter. both seem quite low, as all our other fifth wheel units (Carriage and Mobile Suites) religiously would be 13.6 to 14 volts in use and during charging while plugged in to shore power.

I have seen suggestions here to swap out the inverter/charger and go with a 3 stage unit..cycling type,, as the factory unit is only a 2 stage..

Any suggestions as to what to purchase? and just where is it located in the fl floor plan? an i just swap out the charger? or do i have to swap out the entire unit?

I called Redwood service center and they told me this condition is normal??? I have never seen this low of lighting in and trailer.

before i swap out the halogens for leds, i require to cure this low light dilema
semi retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

It's my understanding that our Redwoods all have 3 stage converters. Find your model number and do a search. I does seem like you might have one with low output.

Mark
Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

You have something going wrong there I think. I had a similar issue on SOB and it was a fuse in the fuse panel that controlled the converter. I didn't even know they were there (2) and when one side blew it dropped the output from the converter in half and most of my lights looked like they were on a dimmer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

This is a Progressive Industries PD4500 POWER CONTROL CENTER with THE 4500 INTELI-POWER CONVERTER 90 amp model (factory stock)

ok... checked all the fuses on the power panel,, all are good, all fuses seat firmly, checked the actual inverter as per said instructions, 13.6 volts at out put.. with main leads dis-connected, tried the wizard mode.. same results, boost mode gives me 14.4, normal mode, 13.6 and storage mode, 13.2 volts. ( which leads me to think it was stuck in storage mode) but not. re checked all the battery leads, and refreshed all the ground leads.. in the bulk head area, and the 2 ground wires outside the coach, (street side)..

this is beginning to get frustrating.. lights are still too dull.. the entire coach..

when using the boost mode, (manually) everything is good... set the inverter back to wizard setting.. lights get dull almost instantly... (13.2 volts)

Aside from tossing 5-700 canadian out the window,, and replacing something that most likely has been fubbard since day one.. any brain storming ideas will be accepted and tried.. (before the Jack Daniels comes out so sooth this headache).
semi retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

How about the terminals on the ground bus bar behind the panel. Loose perhaps?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

Semi Retired, Are the lights LED or the standard issue Halogen lights?? Maybe someone replaced the 20 W halogens with 10 W halogens. Big difference in brightness. Just an idea.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:24 AM   #7

halogen / quartz / incandescent bulbs will react when voltage is low. they will show dim or yellowish. You may be experiencing this problem due to either low DC voltage or the wire size is too small for the draw of the lamps and you are getting "voltage drop". Try this... if you have say 6 bulbs on 1 switch...remove all the bulbs except the last one. If it is all of a sudden it is brighter you have voltage drop due to the length of wire combined with the wattage size and quantity of lamps. If someone put larger watt bulbs this is causing it also.
Also changing to LED will 99% solve the problem. Why you are using less wattage. Also 99% of LEDs made do not dim on their own. If you buy a bulb / chip that runs on say 6 volts to 24 volts it will give you 100% of the lumens using any voltage in the range. If you drop out of the voltage they will just not light. Most 12v LEDs do run in these ranges to give the consumer protection.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote