Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Site Team

Domicile change

Time has come that we are prepRing for Fulltime. Going to change domicile to South Dakota.

Has anyone used Americas Mailbox ? If you have, can you share experience ?
From all my reach they seem to be the best choice, I would just like some experiences.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Hate autospell - that was supposed to be research.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #3

Wow, Vaughan, Maryland to South Dakota..........that is culture shock!!!!

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Jim - yup, it will be. I was getting ready to send you a note. With this Canada trip and then the Rally shortly afterward, you will probably be way ahead of me in switching the fridge.
Can you keep a note of what you used for the inverter and other things? Will save me some time. I may get the fridge in before leaving for the Rally but I don't think I'll have the inverter done by then.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Hi Jim - yup, it will be. I was getting ready to send you a note. With this Canada trip and then the Rally shortly afterward, you will probably be way ahead of me in switching the fridge.
Can you keep a note of what you used for the inverter and other things? Will save me some time. I may get the fridge in before leaving for the Rally but I don't think I'll have the inverter done by then.
Vaughn it should only take a couple hours to tie the invertor in to power the fridge bolt it to the wall and connect the wires on each end
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #6

Well my installation is taking considerably longer.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

We too will be changing domicile next year. Health care seems to be a big factor as to where one sets up, and South Dakota has some major limitations the last time I looked.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

We use Americas Mailbox and have not had any issues with them. Changing residency was easy, as we traveled to Box Elder and spent the night there at Americas Mailbox.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

On some of the other RV Forums, there have been a number of folks that have changed from South Dakota because of health insurance issues.
We're using the Good Sam Mail Forwarding service out of Crestview, Florida and made our move a few years ago. We use Florida Blue, their Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO. So far working for us except for the expense of insurance for Ann since she's not 65 yet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #10

Since I was already a Florida Resident, no reason to change.
I just changed my mailing address to my Daughter and SILs address, works for me.
I have Florida Blue Options through my employer, starting this month the affordable care act has made my employer pick up more of the health insurance tab so my Health Insurance cost now it about $66 every two weeks.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #11

Were in the process also of changing to FL. Have everything done except I need to make a trip to Crestview to get my drivers license then all is completed. Figured I would head to Crestview so I can visit my new address and meet my insurance agent.Went with Good Sam mail also.

How's the Florida Blue insurance your talking about? Is it reasonable for couples under the retirement age?

Steve
Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Were in the process also of changing to FL. Have everything done except I need to make a trip to Crestview to get my drivers license then all is completed. Figured I would head to Crestview so I can visit my new address and meet my insurance agent.Went with Good Sam mail also.

How's the Florida Blue insurance your talking about? Is it reasonable for couples under the retirement age?

Steve
Steve, you don't have to go to Crestview unless you want to, you can get your DL anywhere in FL, we were also home based in Crestview but have never been there in the 4 years we've used the GS mail service. We got our DL's in Sarasota where we spend our winters.

Health insurance...no such thing as reasonable, especially if you're between 55 & 65, seems this is the age they hammer you on!!! We used BCBS for a couple of years and the premiums are not cheap. I'm now on Medicare and Ruth is still under 65 but we opted for Christian Healthcare Ministries for her this year.
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 AM   #13

We already own a home in Sarasota.. So we are all set when ready to make that change.. Right now it's rented year to year..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:32 AM   #14

Thanks Chuck,
All the info you gave me months ago was a huge help and just thought I would pay Crestview a visit and head over to Destin.

It's just to bad health care dictates what we are able to do to some extent with the lifestyle we love but we will do it. Might be a good discussion at the rally. Since Char has BCBS we have had great insurance through her work all these years and I am still in the blind at a good rate and it is a bit scary and a learning process.
She would kill me if I posted here age but lets say it's between the #'s you stated above but I'll be 50 this year so the search goes on.

Steve
Old 07-11-2016, 02:38 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Thanks Chuck,
All the info you gave me months ago was a huge help and just thought I would pay Crestview a visit and head over to Destin.

It's just to bad health care dictates what we are able to do to some extent with the lifestyle we love but we will do it. Might be a good discussion at the rally. Since Char has BCBS we have had great insurance through her work all these years and I am still in the blind at a good rate and it is a bit scary and a learning process.
She would kill me if I posted here age but lets say it's between the #'s you stated above but I'll be 50 this year so the search goes on.

Steve
And a young 57 she is
Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #16

I'm glad you said it and now you will have to deal with her at the rally!!!!

Steve
Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #17

A middle of the road policy with Florida Blue for under 65 is approx $700 per month less any Government money you can get, still makes Ann's just over $600 per month.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #18

OnTheRoad; I had never heard of Christian Healthcare Ministries. Interesting avenue, but looks to me is a major illness/healthcare policy. Would be interested in more real-time information with this organization.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Char & Steve;67861] I'm glad you said it and now you will have to deal with her at the rally!!!!

Steve[/QUOTE
I can run faster skeerd than she can mad
Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
OnTheRoad; I had never heard of Christian Healthcare Ministries. Interesting avenue, but looks to me is a major illness/healthcare policy. Would be interested in more real-time information with this organization.
Actually its technically not insurance BUT it does qualify as such when it comes to donating you money to the government, aka penalty for not having insurance.
CHM is one go a few plans like it, it's for Christians and you must abide by their qualifications. When you need medical service you indicate that you are self pay. Routine stuff is not reimbursable, nor are maintenance medication expenses. Illness and emergency costs are submitted for review and approval, if approved they reimburse you for the expense but ultimately you are responsible for payment.

The cost is minimal compared to health insurance.We just put aside a portion of what we paid last year to pay out of pocket for routing stuff and meds. Lets just say we went from paying over $1K every month to budgeting around $400 a month.

For meds...check out Blink

In this time of insane healthcare costs you have to do what you have to do to get by. We're retired and on a fixed income so we do what is necessary so we can continue to live the lifestyle we wish to live. Last year we tried the "O'care" and got crushed at the end of the year when we had to repay all of the subsidy $$ we got last year!! Not saying this is for everyone but it works for us and I'm not opening my wallet to the Big "O". That in itself makes me smile
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote