Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Does Anyone know?

Does anyone know if the PEX water pipe Redwood uses in the RV's is standard PEX Pipe. I'm looking to remove the Whole House Filter and need to put a connector in between to remove it. Looking at the PEX, it appears it is 1/2 inch.

Appreciate all feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Every time I've done plumbing work I've gotten all the fittings etc. at Home Depot.
Carry a selection of fittings, pipe, and clamps and tool onboard.

Make sure you don't scrimp $$ on the crimping tool, buy a good one. That crimp on the fitting needs to be a really good, tight one. While you have the basement wall down, re-crimp every fitting you can get to just to ensure they're tight.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but I need to know if the PEX line in my 2016 38RL is 1/2 inch or some oddball size used in the RV industry? You know the kind of crap that you can't find parts or fitting for at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #4

I used a disk that fits into the top of the filter and stops the water from flowing through the filter. You simply remove the cartridge and put the disk in. It is available at Hitch N Go in Delhi Ontario. I don't know where you would find it in the States, maybe at Campers World. No need to disturb the plumbing and you have the option of using the filter at some later date
Old 07-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

Did your water pressure improve by blocking the water flow through the filter?
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #6

Not really, but it makes it a lot easier to winterize. I use the blue inline filter and change it out twice a year, depending on how much we go use the rig.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #7

Thanks, I'm gonna bypass and remove the filter cartridge and put a straight connection in its place. Will probably use SHARKBITE connectors. Just need to know if it is 1/2 Inch PEX (I think it is).

By the way I use the outside Blue Filter by CAMCO, gets about 8000 gallons of use, depending on how clean or dirty the water is. I had an RV park that had a TON of iron in the water and it plugged that filter up fast. Glad It wasn't connected directly into the RV.

Thanks for the reply.

Take Care.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
Thanks, I'm gonna bypass and remove the filter cartridge and put a straight connection in its place. Will probably use SHARKBITE connectors. Just need to know if it is 1/2 Inch PEX (I think it is).

By the way I use the outside Blue Filter by CAMCO, gets about 8000 gallons of use, depending on how clean or dirty the water is. I had an RV park that had a TON of iron in the water and it plugged that filter up fast. Glad It wasn't connected directly into the RV.

Thanks for the reply.

Take Care.

Jeff
It is standard sizes. One of the first thing I did was to remove the whole house filter. You had to be a magician to change the thing. I purchased an inexpensive
Dive pex crimper tool at a Menard's and used a straight connector to join the two pex lines. Sorry, cannot remember exact size but the connectors are not expensive so just get a couple of each size.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #9

Wish I had a Menards here! Use to live in Illinois and loved that place.

I have a crimping tool for PEX Piping and I can definitely see the magician end. That is why Sharkbite adapters work so well. In my case just take out the filter housing, cut clean end on the Pex piping and use (2) 90 degree Sharkbites , push them together and done.

But, getting my crimping tool in this small space will be a challenge.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #10

just did some work on our water pump. I use a handheld pex crimper that has a light that comes on when the correct pressure is reached. only need 1 hand to use it. But, make it easier on yourself and take the walls down.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

Redwood uses Pex, but not everywhere. Our filter was fed by a vinyl tubing and I don't think sharkbite would have worked. I relocated my filter out to the convenience panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Filter 04-10-2014-001.jpg (155.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Water Filter 04-10-2014-002.jpg (163.3 KB, 8 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #12

The Pex tubing used is 1/2 inch. I ended up installing several extra ball valve shut offs in my RW just so I could isolate lines in the event there was a water source problem down the road.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #13

Project Complete

Removed the Old Whole house water filter and made a straight connection to the RV. Improved the pressure in the RV too.

The PEX piping is 1/2 inch and I used (2) 90 degree SHARKBITE connectors to joint them together.

Total time: About 20 minutes.

No sense in wasting money on large filter cartridges, when an outside filter by CAMCO works very well, plus there is a fresh water filter in the Refrigerator for Ice and Water.

See the attached pictures.

Take Care,

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Filter Housing.jpg (137.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Water Filter Replacement.jpg (157.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sharkbite Connector.jpg (168.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 AM   #14

If your filter is plumbed with vinyl hose all you'll need is a brass 1/2" nipple to put in place of the filter canister, it'll take a lot longer to get to it than to replace it.
On mine all the pex is 1/2" & all the braided vinyl hose is 1/2" ID & 5/8" pex clamps work on it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #15

The biggest reason I asked the question on the Pipe size, was after RVing for more than 15 years, I've found that some manufacturers use cheap knock off crap that are not standard in size and you can't find parts for (unless you live in China)!

This was an easy fix and the direct pressure to the RV has improved with no air pockets that are caused by that big canister.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #16

Not sure why you would want to bypass the House filter. I know that the little Camco blue ones slow down pretty quick reducing pressure. When I winterize our coach, I unhooked the inlet and outlet hoses from the house filter canister, not that hard to reach either. Installed a close nipple between them and it takes a lot less of the pink stuff to winterize. In the spring returned it to normal. We mostly weekend camp, but enjoy clean smelling and tasting water. We use the ice maker on our Norcold and use the water for coffee etc. We can change the whole house filter twice per year for under $9. Filters are inexpensive and available most anywhere. We also double filter our water, that is we filter what we put into the gravity feed fitting for the fresh tank. We also use another filter when hooked up to city water when at a campsite with water hook up. Same inexpensive cartridges found everywhere. If we went full-time I am sure there are places where we would benefit from a small water softener. But for now just double filtered water.

Chris & Maria 2012 36RL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (102.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (114.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (151.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (147.7 KB, 4 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #17

Once I remounted the onboard filter more solid closer to the little door I can change it easily & usually wrap a rag around it & don't spill but a drop or two.
I also use 2 filters, 1 sediment cartridge going into a water softener then through the onboard with a charcoal cartridge, we drink, make ice, make coffee, cook & bathe with tap water everywhere we've stayed, no smell or bad taste.
When adding water to fresh water tank it goes through the sediment filter & softener & from the tank through the onboard filter.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote