Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Has anyone stayed in a campground close to Disney World other than the Disney Campground? If so how close is it to Disney? We are planning a trip in May 2014.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

We've always stayed at Disney Fort Wilderness. Can park the TV and not move it, use Disney transportation for anywhere on their property. Plus you avoid the $14 to $15/day parking fee. For us it's worth the extra cost to stay on Disney property.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

We agree with Michelle but when we cannot get a reservation at Disney we stay at Lake Magic RV Resort, or Sherwood Forrest RV Resort. We found another RV campground operated by the City of Orlando that is reasonably close to Disney and it is the Bill Fredrick Park at Turkey Lake Campground ($23 per night for full hook up and they accept big rigs). We have not tried that campground yet but as many times as we go to Disney I am sure we will in the near future. I would recommend Lake Magic over Sherwood Forrest.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Ahhh...Fort Wilderness. Where the elves drop out of the trees at night and clean the place. No kiddin'.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

absolutely the cleanest park we have been in. little tough parking but there is a lot to do at fort wilderness
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #6

We are in Orlando this week (for business and pleasure). My company is at Sand Lake and Kirkman, right next to Universal Studios.

On all of our past Disney Vacations we stayed at the Disney resorts and the transportation was the best I have ever seen or experienced. You will never move your vehicle, pay to park, hassle with traffic, etc. The shuttles are on a fairly tight schedule and you rarely wait long for the next bus. We have never stayed at Ft. Wilderness, but have always wanted to. Some friends have stayed there and loved the place. Said it was well worth the premium. The Disney Resorts have so much to offer, they pride themselves on making your stay perfect. If you have kids, they will have so much to do.

We have stayed at a couple of RV parks outside Disney in Kissimmee. They were ok, clean, etc. However, the transportation wasn't any where near as good as the dedicated transportation services at Disney,

We are currently staying on I-drive at Embassy Suites and transportation is painful. Granted we aren't visiting Disney, but we paid $30 in two days for parking at Sea World and Aquatica. We have length of stay passes for both parks through the company discount ($109 ea) so the wife and daughter will hit the parks through the week as well as other sites in the area. They will try the I-drive trolley, but it will be $1.50 per ride or $9 for week passes each.

Orlando has some CRAZY drivers, especially near I-drive and the resorts. If not used to congestion and VERY aggressive drivers you will be cussing and your nerves will be wrecked by the time you spend 1 hour to drive 2 miles up I-drive. You will watch locals and visitors cross 5 lanes of traffic to make a turn, or pull out in front of you without warning, multiple times on every outing.

If you are planning a Disney trip, seriously consider Fort Wilderness if it is in your budget.

Enjoy your trip!

OJ
a64armt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Vincent, if you get a chance, go to Fishbones restaurant. they are a block or two east of the International Drive & Sand Lake junction. Good Food. Are you staying at the first Embassy Suites which is close to the International Drive/Sand Lake junction? If so there is a Japanese restaurant within walking distance and a Chicago grill as well, both are OK. I agree with you about the crazy drivers in Orlando. I believe they are even worse around the airport!! You are only 1 1/2 hrs from Busch Gardens in Tampa, it might be worth the trip and a couple of hours from Saint Augustine, which is were we live.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
We've always stayed at Disney Fort Wilderness. Â*Can park the TV and not move it, use Disney transportation for anywhere on their property. Â*Plus you avoid the $14 to $15/day parking fee. Â*For us it's worth the extra cost to stay on Disney property.
Well Disney Fort Wilderness it is. Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Ditto on Ft Wilderness...

When we got there after dark we really couldn't tell how nice the site was until the next morning - It was HUGE and completely secluded from other sites...

Since it was so late, we just grabbed a sandwich and walked the kids to the 'drive-in' --- but it's really a walk up in the middle of the park and Chip and Dale characters came in and sat down next to the kids !!!

my son was 2 & 1/2 at the time and scared to death at first --- while that was great - the best part was the preview of the chip and dale movie had some suggestions about the best way to see the park...

from taking the ferry over to magic kingdom, to shuttles to lake Buena vista, to what to see first, etc... really helped with the orientation...

and never started the mh or car for 6 days !!! Well worth it IMHO

Oh, and us adults enjoyed the 'behind the scenes' tour of the magic kingdome - the computer systems, the underground garbage collection how the cans drop below ground at night to be emptied, the tractor trailer delivery bays etc...

ready to go back now that you made us think about it !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote