Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #1

Dish/DirecTV RV service

So my wife wanted to change from DISH to DirecTV at home. I didn't think anything about it until now. I went to Camping World and was looking at the Tailgater. The DISH one stated it would provide both SD/HD service, but the DirecTV one said it would only provide SD service, and to add insult to injury, the DirecTV Tailgater is $150 more than the DISH one that provides HD service The only DirecTV satellite antenna that offered HD service was the roof mounted one. Which not only cost a lot more than the Tailgater, but is not what I want to do. In the pass, at times, I had problems getting a signal from my roof mounted antenna due to trees or whatever, so I want a mobile unit I can move around that will automatically acquire a signal. So, anyone with DirecTV had this problem, and if so how did you resolve it without installing a roof mounted antenna? I'm no satellite expert, but if I have HD TV's and get a DirecTV HD receiver, shouldn't I be able to get HD programs regardless of the satellite antenna I am using? Also, if I did install a roof mounted antenna for DirecTV and later wanted to go back to DISH, is this an easy switch?
Thanks
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #2

The Traveler rooftop antennas are not interchangeable between Dish and DirecTV. The antenna commits you, and the DirecTV rooftop is near $300 more.

The roof mounted domes are interchangeable by flipping dip switches, however I think you would get the same issue with DirecTV only being SD.

One option - is to go with a separate RV account with Dish for the Redwood. It's offered through the tailgater package and as long as you buy your own equipment (211 receiver, etc) you get to "pay by the day".
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

Get yourself a tripod, dish and meter. You'll spend about the same as the tailgater but you'll have HD.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

You mean get the 'divorce dish' Ken ?!?

Some have to knack of getting the azimuth, level, angle, and calculus calculations perfect the first 10 times they try, and then there are others that store their spare antenna and tripod in the garage (like me)...

The new winegard swm system we had on the redwood and moved to the coach, has had a problem getting an HD picture once, and that was when I put the antennae within 4 feet of a HUGE tree that must have been 70 feet tall and had a 10 ft wide trunk...

I like convenience and pushing a button to set up the HD is for me

It cost me $12 more per mth on my home account for the dvr and hd receiver in the rv. (I could pull the home boxes and put in rv each trip, but I'm lazy.... er, ah, I mean, I like convenience !)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

I get an extra full day of camping now with the automatic dish And I'm still married!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

Brad & JB2.
Very funny...and I was there too, it took me more than a day to get the dish dialed in. I knew there must be a better way...the 18 year old installers get it done in no time....

Modern technology my friends...I can get the dish dialed in within a few minutes. Here's how:

1. DW has NO involvement thus eliminating the "divorce dish"!!
2. Invest in a good RV tripod
3. Invest in a high tech meter that dials the signal in at the dish. No TV, receiver or power required.

If the OP is interested, I have the specifics. BTW, DirectTV is a bit easier as the satellites are closer together. Dish can be a bit more difficult but there is a simple, quick remedy for it too.

Ken
Old 03-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

That is true Ken,

The guy that put a new dish on our house made my wife laugh because he aimed it with an app on his I-phone in about 3 minutes. She remembers the day when I was outside in the rain (and lightning) trying to aim my little folding dish while I had the window open so I could hear and see the signal meter on the TV, which was making her nauseous after about 2 hrs. We just wanted to watch the Broncos!

I almost left the camper there to check into a dry hotel!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Precisely why I gave up the Tailgater. I wanted to watch the 49ers playoff game while boondocking at the Q. Switching from inverter to generator, the tailgater software has to reload and download the guide, which takes about 30 minutes. I missed most of the 1st quarter. Tailgater now resides on my workbench at home!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Not to mention that when it rains the Dome antennas like the tailgater are done. They can't see through the water film
Old 03-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #10

Direct TV

We have direct tv at home and in the redwood. My problem is that direct tv shut off our local channels when we got out of Colorado. Any solution to not losing local channels?
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #11

Use your regular tv antenna for local channels when you are out of the spot beam...

Some use the DNS service, some call up and say a new service address...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:50 AM   #12

DNS service that DirectTV offers is one of the advantages over Dish. Dish does seem to be more RV friendly when changing service address.

Ken
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Brad & JB2.
Very funny...and I was there too, it took me more than a day to get the dish dialed in. I knew there must be a better way...the 18 year old installers get it done in no time....

Modern technology my friends...I can get the dish dialed in within a few minutes. Here's how:

1. DW has NO involvement thus eliminating the "divorce dish"!!
2. Invest in a good RV tripod
3. Invest in a high tech meter that dials the signal in at the dish. No TV, receiver or power required.

If the OP is interested, I have the specifics. BTW, DirectTV is a bit easier as the satellites are closer together. Dish can be a bit more difficult but there is a simple, quick remedy for it too.

Ken
I have been using Dish HD with a Tripod for 4 years, (and I typically move every few weeks year round) setup and aiming usually takes less than 5 minutes and with 100 feet of cable, I can usually find a opening in the trees to get a good signal.
The many trees are one of the satellite challenges of living and traveling the southeastern part of the US. If I had to depend on a roof mounted satellite antenna, I would have satellite service less than 25% of the time.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
So my wife wanted to change from DISH to DirecTV at home. I didn't think anything about it until now. I went to Camping World and was looking at the Tailgater. The DISH one stated it would provide both SD/HD service, but the DirecTV one said it would only provide SD service, and to add insult to injury, the DirecTV Tailgater is $150 more than the DISH one that provides HD service The only DirecTV satellite antenna that offered HD service was the roof mounted one. Which not only cost a lot more than the Tailgater, but is not what I want to do. In the pass, at times, I had problems getting a signal from my roof mounted antenna due to trees or whatever, so I want a mobile unit I can move around that will automatically acquire a signal. So, anyone with DirecTV had this problem, and if so how did you resolve it without installing a roof mounted antenna? I'm no satellite expert, but if I have HD TV's and get a DirecTV HD receiver, shouldn't I be able to get HD programs regardless of the satellite antenna I am using? Also, if I did install a roof mounted antenna for DirecTV and later wanted to go back to DISH, is this an easy switch?
Thanks
think i saw a all network rooftop dome at camping world i have rooftop direct tv dome but have not hooked it up yet trying to figure out 2 year service contract committment and my costs on att bill increases

direct does month to month service i believe cheaper?

i only watch 6 stations,average

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:50 AM   #15

I use to have a Direct TV tailgater. it was a pain in the ..... well went to Dish sole because the advertised pay as you go feature. Well that is not exactly how it works. Seems overtime i turn it back on they find a way for me to owe more money. And when it is turned off I still am charged 5 bucks a month. Also if you moving a dish around or a tailgater. You should get the iPhone app. Sat. locater. It will save you a world of time. Works great!!
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have both the travel aire roof top and the automatic tailgater for direct. I used the tailgater for 7 years before getting the rooftop. The taiga ter is auto so all you do is plug in coax plug the power cord into 12v and it automatically finds the sattelite. Non HD though. I would just use one of the house receivers in the trailer.comes in handy when the rooftop is blocked by trees or mountains
Old 10-23-2016, 01:51 AM   #17

As DirecTV has raised our rates, we are looking at other options. DISH is less expensive for our house and they'll give me a receiver for the Redwood. Problem is we have the Trav'ler DirecTV on the Redwood. It appears I can change it to DISH but will cost me $300 or so, mainly for a new dish & LNB and some programming changes to the controller. Has anyone had any experience doing this change either way? Also would appreciate any experience with DISH service around the country. Previous posts have indicated there are more HD channels on DISH over DirecTV. Is this still true?
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:17 AM   #18

Go ahead and PM me tomorrow. I changed our LMB on our Travel'r this summer after reading an article on RV Senior Moments that detailed the procedure. We upgraded from the Dish Hopper 2 to Hopper 3 which mandated the change in the LMB in order to work with the Hopper 3.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote