Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #61

Having had 2 Glendale Titaniums with disc brakes (dexter) I have gone back to electric brakes on our Redwood as it was a show unit, I didn't spec a factory build. There is no comparison, the disc brakes are substantially better than the standard electric ones in terms of control and stopping power.

If you have the opportunity, go for the disc brakes!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #62

I know this is an older thread. But... we have drum brakes, also. We have about 12K miles the seals failed, got grease in the drum and now have drums that need replaced. Was it a challenge getting warranty? They are fighting us.
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #63
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
I know this is an older thread. But... we have drum brakes, also. We have about 12K miles the seals failed, got grease in the drum and now have drums that need replaced. Was it a challenge getting warranty? They are fighting us.
Be sure you have good photos of the grease. That's the key. When mine had issues I had to pay for it out of pocket in lieu of waiting (we fulltime) and it took me about 6 weeks to get fully reimbursed from Redwood. I called them and walked it through. Apparently they submit the claims to Lippert who almost always (probably always) denies the claim and then Redwood has to decide whether they will pay it themselves. To my knowledge this item has been covered by everyone who is persistent with them.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #64

Replaced all 4 myself, but RW reimbursed me for all parts, I should have pushed a little harder to get paid for my labor.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #65

We purchased a 38GK last September off the lot and it came with drum brakes. Just took it in last Thursday for some minor warranty repairs. While it was there I mentioned to the tech that I was seeing some brake dust on the wheels. When he pulled the wheel the shoes where completely worn. Has anyone else had this problem? I never smelled them or felt any drag and whenever I stop I always walk around the truck and trailer to ensure everything looks OK. I would say we have towed it about 3500 miles with 2200 of that being to Florida and back. Also my brake controller and plug are new. This really baffles me.
Marty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #66

If the trailer was new it sounds like the transport driver must have burnt them off during delivery, if used who knows what they may have put it through. Mine were saturated with grease from cheap a## seals & replaced after about 6000 miles.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #67

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
What setting are you running on the brake controller?? You might be getting all your braking thru the trailer brakes if they are not synchronized (balanced) with the truck. We run at a setting of 5 on the controller.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #68

It was purchased new and I run the brake controller at 6.5. Maybe this is too high? I will drop it back to 5 and see how it feels when I brake. I also have wondered about the transport drivers but we will never know. I hope Redwood will warranty parts and labor.

Thanks for the responses they are helpful.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 AM   #69

Yes they will warranty them, I did the work replacing mine & they reimbursed me. If your dealer gives you flack call RW directly. My controller is set at 8.5 from day one & inspected bearings & brakes in Jan 2015 & all is okie dokie.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #70

boy I wouldn't think 6.5 would be too high. That's typically where I run mine.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #71

Not in the controller setting. I am assuming this is an integrated controller. Integrated controllers send a test signal to the trailer periodically. Typically 1.2v-1.5v, I guess if that test signal were higher 2+v you could be getting the brakes applied. Put a volt meter on the blue wire on the truck plug. With the truck running you should see voltage betwwen 0-1.5v. If higher there is a controller problem.
If it isn't in the controller. It has to be either someone was riding the brake or some type of malfunction in the brake itself which should be corrected by replacement.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #72

I will check the output and I am the only one that has towed the camper and I am a one foot driver so I know there is no brake riding.
I really appreciate the responses they have been very helpful. We are picking the camper up on Friday. I will post what the dealer tells me for a reason why this happened if they have one.
Also I am glad we joined this forum, very friendly, helpful, happy campers.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #73

Well I spoke with the dealer and Redwood will not warranty the brakes. The manufacturer told them the reason was because I did not adjust the brakes after 200 miles as the owners manual states. I then ask a couple of questions. One was what is the adjustment? I said to Redwood I have to assume the adjustment would be to back the brakes off. He could not answer that question. Then I said they should have been adjusted at the dealer as the tow from the factory to the dealer is I would guess 600 - 800 miles. Again he could not answer the question. I am going to contact them again today for more answers and hopefully convince them to cover this. Please post your comments and suggestions.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #74

I assume by "manufacturer" you mean Redwood?

I'm with you, mine traveled 1200 miles from the factory to get here, if there was a 200 mile required adjustment, the transporter is responsible for the repair and he better be carrying a brake shoe and a spoon to pull each of these over at the 200 mile mark to adjust the brakes.

That 200 mile adjust is to snug up the brake after the shoes wear to match the surface of the drum, not to "loosen" them. I'm wondering if you aren't getting the filtered "Dealer" version of the response.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #75

Your dealer is eyeball level full of it!! Probably never called RW. I would call RW myself. No where in all my literature have I ever seen that. Been towing some sort of trailer for over 40 years & worked on them as well, never wore out brakes that quickly.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #76

I called Redwood after I talked to the dealer and Redwood read to me what Lippert (the company that supplies the brakes to Redwood) almost word for word what the dealer read to me which is what they received back when they ask to do the repair as a warranty.
I don't have my manual because it is in the camper at the dealer but if it clearly states adjustment after 200 miles then someone other than me needs to be responsible for this. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper and if this is not covered then I will for sure make some bad press for Redwood. Again thanks for the responses.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #77

Wonder why Lippert would deny a claim based on something written on page 53 of the Redwood service manual?

If all you say is true and you aren't leaving out other aggravating circumstances, you are truly getting the runaround. I don't know how you could possibly adjust anything at 200 miles when it was leaving the factory by the transporter.

Attached is the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redwood owners-manual.pdf (2.84 MB, 9 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #78

I'm somewhat confused. I thought one of the selling points for Redwood was that the brakes are self-adjusting. I'm sure I read that. My question is..........."If they are self-adjusting, then why would I need to adjust them?"
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #79

Good point Rick. My 2012 Brochure says 2" self adjusting brakes are part of the "higher standards" Redwood offers (offered) over the competitors. (Pg 12 2012 Edition Redwood Residential Vehicles Brochure).
Old 06-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #80

Marty, what year model, & are you the original owner? If you bought it used you have NO warranty, if you bought it new & less than 2 years old then I think you are getting the shaft.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined