Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #1

Disc Brakes not working with brake pedal

I am at the dealer picking up our new 2015 RW 38RL. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 F350 SRW long bed diesel. When we hook up to the trailer and have the trailer lights plugged in, we do not have trailer brakes with the brake pedal, but they do work manually with the TBC controller. Has anyone had this issue? If so what do I need to do to fix the problem? We are spending the night here at the dealer so that we can try to correct the problem in the morning.
CLPalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPalmore View Post
I am at the dealer picking up our new 2015 RW 38RL. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 F350 SRW long bed diesel. When we hook up to the trailer and have the trailer lights plugged in, we do not have trailer brakes with the brake pedal, but they do work manually with the TBC controller. Has anyone had this issue? If so what do I need to do to fix the problem? We are spending the night here at the dealer so that we can try to correct the problem in the morning.

On my 2012 F350, I had to scroll through the settings on the dash and set the brake controller to "electric/hydraulic". This will fix your problem

Happy trails
Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 AM   #3

We set it to the EOH setting ( electric over hydraulic and still same issue. We messed with it for several hours today with no luck.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Team

I know this sounds stupid.....but do you have the control on the dash set to 9-10. Also, there is a slight delay. Have you tried pulling the trailer around the car lot and testing it that way?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #5

Your getting 2 signals at the plug for brakes correct? One for brake lights and the other for electric brakes. It sound like its working off the TBC because its activating the brake lights. Make sure the blue wire hooked up for the electric brakes at the plug and if it is chase back to disk brake controller. if thats good check to make sure that the electric over hydraulic brake controller is combat-table with your truck. Just a thought.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Will do thanks for the help. We are able to actually hear the brakes working if you use the manual controls, just nothing happening when brake pedal is used. We have driven it around and up the road etc. and it does not seem to be working unless you manually activate it with the manual controls. We will try some more tricks tomorrow I guess.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Is your brake controller intergraded or do you have a add on brake controller?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #8

When we first got our 2013 350 and 2014 38gk, they played well together without changing anything on ford's IBC set at 6.5...

BUT, we do have drum brakes and lately, even set at 9, the brakes don't seem to 'help' as much as they used to...

Now, it will lock up the brakes manually thru the ibc... but like you thinking there might be an issue with either connectivity or grease in the hubs...

Not being a mechanic, don't even know what to look for to see if there's an issue (unless someone can post detailed pics of what ot look for )

good luck to us both!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #9

I was talking with another owner and he mentioned that he had troubles with the Redwood on board brake actuator at delivery. Same kind of symptom they (the dealer) ended up changing it and not a lick of problem since.

I think I read somewhere redwood is changing the actuator they are using in the 2015 models so that would make one think there has been some issues with the One one they have been using, but then again it could mean nothing!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #10

Its my understanding that Dodge and Ford sometimes need to be reflashed at the dealer. I was the one that reported that a different controller is being used on the 2015's because of problems with the disc brakes.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for all of your help, it appears that everything is working now, not sure what all the dealer did. When I get uploaded on what all they did I will update everyone, so that maybe the next new Redwood owner has the info. Again Thank to all of your for your help.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #12

Sorry it has taken so long to let everyone that helped me with this know what the results were. Basically there was nothing wrong with the trailer brakes. The following morning I took the pickup and trailer out on the road got up to above 20 mph and applied the brakes with the brake pedal and after a short delay and the trailer brakes setting at 10 on the pickup the brakes worked fine. So it was just ignorance on my part and the dealers part for not know how these new ford pickup brakes systems work. Thanks again for everyone's help. Oh yeh and we are really liking our 2015 RW38 RL. We have not had any issues with the trailer, as of yet anyway.