Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Went to run the vac today and noticed not much suction. So I pull off both units by the stairs to make sure they were connected. They were. Then peeked in the unit at the Red Devil unit and that hose was connected. So I inserted a blunt end wooden down and seemed to meet some resistance. After changing bags and running again I am assuming I have a clog in the hose in the basement. After placing my hand on the suction and taking it back off periodically it appeared to improve quite a bit but there is still more to achieve.

Question? How hard is it to remove the black wall near the red devil bag compartment? I notice there are two switches on that wall also. Once it is off is it difficult to reinstall?

Thanks

Rick
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

The wall is held on with a bunch of screws. If you are going to remove the wall, you will have to take the cover off the switches and if there is an outlet, that also. You will have to take the switches and outlet loose so you don't pull them loose. Before I went that far, I would try to get the blockage out by using something that was a little flexible and try to push the blockage out, or get something to grab it with and try to pull it out.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

The screw heads need a S2 square head bit to remove them. There are about a dozen holding up the wall. Try not to remove the Dirt Devil form the wall until you have the wall down. It's a PIA to get back on. There is a 110V outlet behind the wall. Unplug it before trying to disconnect the Dirt Devil. Oh, you might want a shop vacuum handy to get rid of all the saw dust and metal shavings. With the wall down, it's a good time to check all the vent connections to the heater plenum.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

I'm going to pull my walls out this spring try to vacuum up all that debris like AdamsRV said. That stuff keeps blowing up into the kitchen through the return air when I travel. Also think I will plug in one of those sonic rodent sounders in there so it comes on whenever I plug in.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I'm going to pull my walls out this spring try to vacuum up all that debris like AdamsRV said. That stuff keeps blowing up into the kitchen through the return air when I travel. Also think I will plug in one of those sonic rodent sounders in there so it comes on whenever I plug in.
Are you getting house guests?
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Update. So I pulled down one middle piece by the black drain pipe and I was able to shimmy in far enough to disconnect a 90 degree elbow on the central vac and there is where I found my clog. All fixed and sucks as good as new. I took the advice to have my shop vac ready. What an embarrassment for Redwood. Extra nuts, screws, wire ties, wrappers, sunflower seeds and lots of sawdust. Was able to get most of it out. Additionally I checked all of the plenums and they were all very secure.

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I learn something new everyday about this Redwood.

Happily retired and in Wilmington, North Carolina until January 9th.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Good to hear. Agree Redwood needs to pay more attention to detail, especially, for things most of us never see. Wish they were ISO 9000 certified with QA.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdoc4
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Are you getting house guests?
No no - knock on wood. Just preventative measures. Got them in our 2003 with some firewood we drug home and DW freaked out!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote