Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

Damp carpet in the corners of our slides!

Our 2012 FL has in some areas extreme dampness in the corners of our slides... Couldn't find anything when I searched this site or I'm using the wrong verbiage... We are having to keep fans blowing on the areas after soaking up the water with a plush full size shower towel!!! It's quite a bit of water! We are in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC and have had a crazy amount of rain recently! Anyone have this problem or solution other than large tubs of Damp Rid? Any help is appreciated !!!
queencorn64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #2

Just curious. Do you have Slide Toppers?
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #3

Until you can examine the seals outside, you may want to drop the front-end of the RV so the water runs off better, you could probably also was the opposite side of the rig slightly to help temporary. There are 3 seals so there could be an issue with them. You may also have an alignment issue with the slide-out. For example your slide-out may not be extending all the way out for a good seal. The slide-out could also be slightly crooked side to side or bottom to top.

I've made some slide-out adjustments on our two main hydraulic slides, but not every one is comfortable making these adjustments. You may find yourself taking your rig into a dealer for repairs.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:44 AM   #4

We recently had the same issue..... a leaking bedroom slide on our 2016 39mb (in or out) resulting in water soaking our carpets & entering the storage bsmt. (Not fun, I know!) during periods of rain. Our dealer replaced a few defective slide seals which seems to have corrected the problem. Make an appointment with your dealer to get the problem diagnosed and fixed before the leak turns into a mold problem! In the meantime suggest you close the slide when raining if possible to see if that will stop the leaking, & try to use a fan to dry out the carpeting. Good luck.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencorn64 View Post
Our 2012 FL has in some areas extreme dampness in the corners of our slides... Couldn't find anything when I searched this site or I'm using the wrong verbiage... We are having to keep fans blowing on the areas after soaking up the water with a plush full size shower towel!!! It's quite a bit of water! We are in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC and have had a crazy amount of rain recently! Anyone have this problem or solution other than large tubs of Damp Rid? Any help is appreciated !!!
Just an idea. Go look underneath the slide in question. Look at the black plastic covering the edge and bottom of the slide. Push against it and observe for moisture. You can slightly pull the edge down and look for dampness to the plywood. If you find it moist them you have found your source for the moisture ingress. What happens is moisture rolls down the outside of the slide ends and is pulled by capillary action underneath the bottom lip of the slide. If the black plastic covering the edge of the plywood is not located high enough the water seeps in behind it and wicks up into the plywood and your carpet.

If this is your problem you need to hope for dry weather and thoroughly dry this area out. You will need to caulk the edge of the black plastic near the bottom of the slide to prevent further problems and even at that i would keep an eye on it. It is just a poor design in my opinion and more people probably have this problem and do not know it. There is a thread that i happened on somewhere that the bottom of the slide rotted out and had to be replaced.

If rain is forcasted at a minimum place some Vinyl tape to seal this area up until you can get enough dry days to get it dried out.

This is likely your problem if your walls are dry, the window shows no signs of leaks and the biggest problem is wet carpet. You can a private message and I can provide you my phone number. I know my fix works as we have been flooded here in Georgia and i have had no further issues.
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

I thank you all for your suggestions... Will do a few checks then probably head to the dealer
queencorn64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

My previous comments probably do not apply to an FL model. But all those with a RL model should really look at the bottom of their main slides for moisture intrusion problems at the slide ends. This is especially true for the dinning room slide.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

Yea it applies to FL's sealer failed and guess what water in corner of slide. Pull carpet up, cut padding out, dry wood, reseal inside and out! Seems to work, if you dry it takes several days to dry plywood.