Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Crimped fittings leaking during cold snap?

Has anyone had the problem of the water fittings leaking during freezing weather? We are around -5 Celsius and discovered ice in my belly. Pulled the wall and every crimped fitting under there is loose and leaking slowly. Had no issues with the crimps last week when I had to tighten a fitting by the pump. Have shut my water off for now and will use pump when needed till I can get in to dealer
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Team

about a year ago, I pulled my utility wall down and replaced all the factory crimps and while I was at it, I also double clamped them. I basically put 2 clamps next to each other. I realize this was an overkill but it didn't cost much to do it.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #3

I had the same problem last year when it was 24 degrees.I cut them off and replaced them with small hose clamps.No leaks since.You can also tighten them if needed down the road.
Donhutch1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks all.
One heck of a chilly morning today. Developed an issue with propane regulator and the furnace cut out during the night. Was a crisp 42F in the trailer when I got up.(didn't take very long to get dressed!)
Course the belly got colder, and our waterpump froze. Am now camped at the dealer's now while they redo most of the plumbing system due to all the leaking connections. If you are ever in trouble around Abbotsford BC, Fraserway RV is the one to call. They are outstanding! Kudos to Redwood as well. I called them this morning before the dealer was open, they made a note to put a rush on anything the dealer was going to have to order.
Our slides made some awfull strange noises coming in. Am hoping it's because they are cold and not some other issue raising it's head.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Judith View Post
Thanks all.
One heck of a chilly morning today. Developed an issue with propane regulator and the furnace cut out during the night. Was a crisp 42F in the trailer when I got up.(didn't take very long to get dressed!)
Course the belly got colder, and our waterpump froze. Am now camped at the dealer's now while they redo most of the plumbing system due to all the leaking connections. If you are ever in trouble around Abbotsford BC, Fraserway RV is the one to call. They are outstanding! Kudos to Redwood as well. I called them this morning before the dealer was open, they made a note to put a rush on anything the dealer was going to have to order.
Our slides made some awfull strange noises coming in. Am hoping it's because they are cold and not some other issue raising it's head.
I had a similar experience several years ago when we were still pop-up campers. We were camping in the high desert country near Willcox, Arizona in March. Our propane ran out during the night and the temperature was around 38 degrees outside and inside the trailer. My wife was complaining about being cold and I told here to put her head inside the sleeping bag. I was "toasty" warm in the sleeping bag but my wife has never let me live that one down.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
lwg

Just noticed that my crimped connectors at both the hot and cold lowpoint drains appear to be leaking just a little... We've moved to CO with nighttime temps in the low 20's, but the underbelly stays at or above 47* so far. Might just keep an eye on it for now and plan to pull the wall some nice day and rework some of the connections.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #7

I wonder if the tool can be used to tighten the crimp while they are cold.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
I had a similar experience several years ago when we were still pop-up campers. We were camping in the high desert country near Willcox, Arizona in March. Our propane ran out during the night and the temperature was around 38 degrees outside and inside the trailer. My wife was complaining about being cold and I told here to put her head inside the sleeping bag. I was "toasty" warm in the sleeping bag but my wife has never let me live that one down.
I was almost crying on this!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

Our service guy told me that the fittings used on our unit were made for pex to pex connections, not pex to soft hose. All the leaks were where the soft hose was connected to the fitting. He replaced all the fittings where the soft hose was. He figures that when things were warmer, there was just enough of aconnection to prevent leaks. I'm going to give another plug here for our dealer Fraserway Rv in Abbotsford BC. The service dept. is fantastic!