Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Creaking poping sound

Can everyone in the campground hear you when you walk around inside your camper? It seems to be getting worse and starting to get very annoying.
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:17 AM   #2

No, but we do have a squeaky area and the end of our bed near the front of the RV. I need to figure out the best way to tack this area down.

Also check to make sure your jacks are up high enough so you are not bouncing on top of the springs.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #3

I think it is I have made 6 blocks that I always put under the feet, it should be up. This poping sound seams to coming from the frame.
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #4

It could be your jacks. Do you know if you have the Cat or fork oil added in your reservoir?

You also might want to try manually raising your RV up higher and see if the noise continues.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 AM   #5

We had popping noise coming from our Jacks, I added some Elevator "Slip Stick" additive used to prevent the same thing in elevator pistons.
It is like taking two pieces of glass, get them wet and stick them together, they do not want to break loose, same with hydraulic pistons.
Worked great, no popping noise since
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Oh I know where your coming from ....annoying and getting worst walking or even rotating body position in bed will make the popping sound ... Any resolutions ?
Steve & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
We had popping noise coming from our Jacks, I added some Elevator "Slip Stick" additive used to prevent the same thing in elevator pistons.
It is like taking two pieces of glass, get them wet and stick them together, they do not want to break loose, same with hydraulic pistons.
Worked great, no popping noise since
Where did you get the "Elevator Slip Stick additive"????
Old 07-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #8

From our warehouse when I was there, we buy it by the case from EECO (Elevator Equipment Corporation) all our service guys carry it on their trucks.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 AM   #9

I'm at the end of my wits with the leveling jack popping and creaking - so much so that I've decided to sell my Redwood. I have tried every fluid that Lippert has recommend to resolve the issue and still have not had any success in resolving it. Just last week I had neighbors in the site next to me complain about the constant noise my coach made all afternoon (laundry was going) and then again all night long. They claimed it made them close their windows as the constant popping/creaking coming from my coach woke them up multiple times. I know they were not kidding as it often times wakes me up at night as well. Not sure what my next coach will be - but I have started the looking process as I'm done with this Redwood. I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your coach!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #10
Dan

I just posted this on the other thread it's the lippert approved additive(s)

Rev: 07.16.2013 Page 1 of 1
Contact us: Lippert Components Inc. - Welcome to Lippert Customer Service - Phone: (574) 537-8900 - Email: warranty@lci1.com
LIP Sheet - 0295
HYDRAULICS
ADDING ANTI-STICTION FLUID TO LCI HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction
fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly
as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the
audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
Fig. 1 Fig. 2 Fig. 3

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute View Post
I'm at the end of my wits with the leveling jack popping and creaking - so much so that I've decided to sell my Redwood. I have tried every fluid that Lippert has recommend to resolve the issue and still have not had any success in resolving it. Just last week I had neighbors in the site next to me complain about the constant noise my coach made all afternoon (laundry was going) and then again all night long. They claimed it made them close their windows as the constant popping/creaking coming from my coach woke them up multiple times. I know they were not kidding as it often times wakes me up at night as well. Not sure what my next coach will be - but I have started the looking process as I'm done with this Redwood. I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your coach!
If you are planning to buy another fifth wheel it will have to be one that does not have the Level Up system and most do. I called Lippert and of course they suggested I take it to a dealer. Right, wait three to six weeks and they still probably would not fix it. Mine only does the "popping" after it sits fore awhile. I can actually feel the coach, especially on the left rear corner, move when it pops . They suggested a valve leaking. I asked if I could check it myself since I don't trust dealers to fix it and they said I would need a 3000 lb. gage to check to see if it was holding pressure. Sooo, don't know what I will do. I even wonder if one cylinder is leaking but don't see any oil.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

Odd how this seems to play out. Never had an issue with Level Up on our Montana, had a little on our '12 36RL when new, but stopped, have yet to have the issue on this MB.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Is there any correlation between the noises and the jack leg size? There is a newer 14k leg on the front of some 5th wheels. I have no noises YET.
Pete385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Not sure what my next coach will be - but I have started the looking process as I'm done with this Redwood.
You will either have to go with a unit like the Jayco Designer that uses an electric landing gear in its Auto Leveling system or like Augusta RVs Luxe / Ambition product that does not use Lippert Hydraulics for their Auto Leveling system.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #15

We had a 2014DRV and it did the same thing, creaked and popped as the temperature changed. As Enroute stated everyone outside could hear it as well. Air will compress or expand for many different reasons. (Weight change, temp change ect.) This is making the jacks move slightly causing the noise. As many people try to keep the jacks as short as possible that sometimes is the problem. Air could be trapped on the bottom side of the cylinder plunger, by keeping the jacks short that means the plunger is staying near the top of the barrel and not pushing the air back to the tank. It may help if you cycle all the slides and jacks out to their fullest or have the system serviced by someone that knows what they are doing. Another way to stop the creaking and popping is to put a small scissor jacks under both front corners of the frame and one under the trailer hitch. It doesn't take much support to stop the noise.

Keep the Redwood...
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #16

I just added the Torco RFF Grade 15 to ours. Last trip out it finally started to make noise but don't think it was anywhere as bad as yours sounds. Next trip out we will see if it worked. Strange that it took 1 1/2 seasons to start. It seemed the worse in morning temp changes.

Steve
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #17

Quote:

While it's frustrating and easy to blame Redwood for this, the truth is it could happen on any brand RV that uses Lippert. We had the popping noise on our other 5th wheel before trading for the Redwood. So far no problems with popping on our 38RL. It is however in the shop due to one of the front jacks leaking fluid. I'm expecting them to replace that complete jack. When I first saw it I was frustrated since we've had some other mostly small issues with our unit since purchasing. But as I said above, I started thinking about it and realized that jack could have gone to Forest River or any number of other RV brands for use in their products. Bottom line, that popping isn't a Redwood specific problem.

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #18

We have not had this issue in the 3 years we have had our RW... short stays of 1 night up to a stay of several months. Mostly Canadian locations where daytime to nighttime temps can vary significantly.
We can feel the unit shifting when we walk around... I probably need to lift the unit higher to get it off the springs... but no popping... touch wood.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas861 View Post
While it's frustrating and easy to blame Redwood for this, the truth is it could happen on any brand RV that uses Lippert. We had the popping noise on our other 5th wheel before trading for the Redwood. So far no problems with popping on our 38RL. It is however in the shop due to one of the front jacks leaking fluid. I'm expecting them to replace that complete jack. When I first saw it I was frustrated since we've had some other mostly small issues with our unit since purchasing. But as I said above, I started thinking about it and realized that jack could have gone to Forest River or any number of other RV brands for use in their products. Bottom line, that popping isn't a Redwood specific problem.
You are absolutely right, the popping jacks is not specifically a Redwood problem as I know the leveling system is a 3rd party vendor supplied part. I've decided this is the item that has frustrated me for the past 3 years and to this day, I cannot get the problem to go away. If I stay in the 5th wheel market I will probably go with the Luxe. I am also looking at a Newmar 45' diesel pusher as well so either route I go, I'll no longer have to listen to the jacks popping all day/night nor will I have to listen to my neighbors constantly comment about how loud they are. The part that really gets me, I have Montana's, Big Horns, Cardinals and other brands park next to me throughout the years and I hardly hear those jacks popping. I will say that I do hear them on occasion, but it is never 24/7 like mine do. Time will tell which direction I go, but until then I will just wear ear plugs so I dont hear the jacks and will do my best to enjoy my Redwood for as long as I own it.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
Dan

Quote:
You are absolutely right, the popping jacks is not specifically a Redwood problem as I know the leveling system is a 3rd party vendor supplied part. I've decided this is the item that has frustrated me for the past 3 years and to this day, I cannot get the problem to go away. If I stay in the 5th wheel market I will probably go with the Luxe. I am also looking at a Newmar 45' diesel pusher as well so either route I go, I'll no longer have to listen to the jacks popping all day/night nor will I have to listen to my neighbors constantly comment about how loud they are. The part that really gets me, I have Montana's, Big Horns, Cardinals and other brands park next to me throughout the years and I hardly hear those jacks popping. I will say that I do hear them on occasion, but it is never 24/7 like mine do. Time will tell which direction I go, but until then I will just wear ear plugs so I dont hear the jacks and will do my best to enjoy my Redwood for as long as I own it.

Its seems a bit drastic to have to make a significant change like you mentioned. Have you tried the lippert approved anti-stiction fluid? I too have a 2013 RL but I added 2 qts of the "Cat fluid" and all popping went away.

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote