Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #161

I had the Lippert Air Centerpoint installed when Redwood upgraded my 7,000# axles to 8,000# axles. There were supposed to be Quad shocks, also. Redwood did not install them as they were supposedly not needed.

The Centerpoint helped. The shocks ARE needed. There appears to be inadequate dampening in the air chamber of the Centerpoint. Any small height deviation at the axles is amplified into large vertical movement at the rear of the coach.

The dampening effect of shocks should reduce tail verticle velocity and amplitude.
The shock kits from Lippert are less than $200 each side and are easily(?) installed.
If I were not selling my Redwood-Volvo-Scion IQ Combination, I would add, now

The other control of rapid rotations around the axles (bucking) is air bag 5th wheel hitches that include dampening shock control. I utilized a Smydt ET for my Volvo HDT Toter. He dampens the air bag spring rate by utilizing 1/4" DOT tubing and 4 air bags in parallel feeding back through a level control valve.

I see the difference as I pull a 24' flat bed farm trailer loaded to a gross weight of 25,000# with my Volvo. The Volvo has both the ET 5th wheel and 40,000 Gooseneck ball. I can pull the same trailer by just replacing the trailer tow neck.

Bucking is greatly reduced utilizing the ET 5th wheel. Even with the Volvo weighing 22,000#, the type of hitch is significant in ride comfort and load stability. The same is true of long 5th wheel RV's.

That's my story and I sticking to it. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 AM   #162

The suspension whatever they offer, needs more robust mounting points.

Mark
Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #163

I've got the center point on mine one thing you need to do is separate the two sides by puttin a fill valve for each the guy that designed it and sold it to lippert told me there not to be tie together !
I'm putting his Joyrider Shock kit on this weekend his shocks don't lay on there side there at about a 15 degree angle looks like the trucks shocks
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #164

The Joyrider System looks quite unique. The 15 decree outboard attitude may or may not help,control body roll. Or the angle may be the resulting requirement to allow shock clearance. Controlling bounce with shocks should also affect body roll.

With the Joyrider System, it appears that clearance under the axle is reduced. Speed bumps may become another thrilling experience.

The installation instructions for the Lippert Shock Installation does refer to a maximum shock angle. Installation looks to be a simpler process.

As this thread was about body cracking, controlling coach rock and roll should reduce stresses. Unfortunately, Redwood chose to make a beautiful coach that should sit more than travel. When traveling, well defined roadways are fine. Off road becomes another adventure. That's what we bought.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #165

Frame Flexing

Hello all. my 2012 36FL suffers from the frame flex issue that many of us have but mine has become what I deem excessive.
I developed cracks at the lower rear of both front slides and had them repaired at the factory. They installed the H brackets which was the resolution at that time.
Over time the H brackets began to bulge on one side and the silicone sealant around the bottom trim rail would split. I also had to replace the vinyl trim insert because the flexing would pulled the original insert out of the track.
I recently arrived at a campground to find the fiberglass in front of the H bracket had popped over the bottom trim rail. I had to use 2 thin flat bars to work it back in place before taking the weight off the pin box.
Another issue Ive had since the unit was new is the side trim in front of the LP access doors "walking" up the body. I've had it looked at during each annual inspection but none of the dealers were successful in getting the trim pieces back in place. I finally paid one to paint the area below the trim pieces to match the rest of the body color.
My question is, who at Redwood is the the most familiar with taking care of this issue?
I am a fulltimer now so dropping it off at the dealer for a month isn't an option. I'd prefer to take it back to the factory for the repairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flex.jpg (72.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg flex crack.jpg (91.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg trim movement.jpg (90.6 KB, 25 views)
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #166

Possible Redwood Resources

Angie Cox at the Redwood factory handled my repairs there.
(260) 593-3850,,2404

Kelly Teschow at LCI is the Service interface.
(574) 312-6112
Lippert Components Inc. manufactures a majority of the components for a Redwood. Their service determined that my frame had excessive deflection.
They actually reinforced the my frame while at the Redwood factory.

The cosmetic repair is to grind the cracks, then cover up with H mounding. Apparently, with your loading and travel mode, you are getting more deflection than the grinding can accept.

LCI can determine your needs. The way they determined the deflection was to set the pin on a scale. They had a portable tower. You can use wood cribbing. My pin weight was 1700#. Then the height measured from close to the pin to the ground. Then the jacks raised to zero pin weight. Measurement repeated. The difference was the deflection. If out of design specs or (important) you are getting cracking, the 5th wheel super structure should be reinforced. If I remember correctly, deflection should be 1/8" maximum. For a long 5th wheel, that requires a pretty stiff frame.

Air bag suspension hitches can safe road vibration, impact damages. I prefer the truck mounted suspension system. Better platform and control.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #167

I had that issue with the side trim walking up on both sides. The first time the Dealer fixed it, they did it again. I ended up shortening them 1/4" in place, and it seemed to work. Ours was a 2014 36RL
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #168

Did you remove them to do that?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #169

the air bag pin did not stop ours from cracking and
I assume my 2013 gk was too early to figure out a cosmetic fix,
so we assumed it was a weld issue - it was still cracked when I moved on.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #170

The air pin box is for long term.
The Redwood fiberglass skin should not be a major structural support.
If a majority of the 5th wheel deflection is focused close to the main body frame, the frame member in that location could be stressed and result in a material failure. The cracks in the fiberglass are just exterior indicators of 5th wheel flex.
It is not difficult to reinforce the 5th wheel frame.
One downside of a stiffer 5th wheel section would be a greater transmission of road energy into further rear in the coach. Another reason for the air suspension pin box and axle shocks.
Just thoughts.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #171
Site Team

It sounds like Redwood is trying to step up to the plate for the owners so they might work with you on this. The 5 year structural warranty should come into play on this issue.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #172

I just had our 2013 RL repaired last month and Redwood covered all the charges without balking a bit. Really pleased the heck out of me. Our dealer did an outstanding job. Very satisfied overall.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #173

Sorry I meant to note that the 2 year bumper to bumper on ours expired last April, so they covered this under the +5 terms of the warranty.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #174
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
I just had our 2013 RL repaired last month and Redwood covered all the charges without balking a bit. Really pleased the heck out of me. Our dealer did an outstanding job. Very satisfied overall.
Good to hear Jim. It sounds like Redwood is stepping up to the plate. Thanks for sharing the positive information
Old 08-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #175

I had a good experience with Redwood. Once I got through the '"no" group, the managers showed a good will attitude by putting the customer first. Redwood was in an adaptive phase moving from mid-level to high-level coaches.
We came from a 1996 Prevost Country Coach to the Redwood 40KB. After I converted a Volvo OVR truck to pull a 42' Redwood and added a piggy back Scion IQ, travel was very comfortable. Redwood agreed to and accomplished modifications and repairs that really brought our coach to premium standards. That said, we are really motor home travelers. Redwood gone...1996 Newell, now. If we were to go back to 5th Wheel's, I would buy our 2013 40KB.
Redwood customer care is in there. You may just have to dig.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #176

I sent the pics to Leonard Nielson at Crossroads service and they scheduled me to come in for repairs.
They also had me send a pic of my pin box tag per LCI's request. They will be involved as well.

So far, so good.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #177

Man if you've got a slot in the Service Center, you've got it made. I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about the service center and its staff, and they really have a customer service No. 1 attitude. Enjoy the experience..

Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson View Post
Did you remove them to do that?
No, I did it in place. For some reason I didn't want to mess up any paint trying to get it off, but in retrospect it would have been easier to remove them.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #179

Who was the dealer? Any dealer that does a good job should be rewarded with good press. It should not take up much space on the forum!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #180

Good deal. Glad to hear you got in.