Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #21

Question:
On my 2014 38RL, after I drained my black tank (leaving the black tank valve open), I connected a working, city-water hose to the black tank flusher, turned on the water, heard the water going in, and let it run for several minutes but nothing came out of the black tank drain (watching the clear fitting on the black tank drain). Why is no flushed black tank water coming out? What am I doing wrong?
F-16 Joc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #22

It sounds as though your blank tank valve could have a block in it, or the dreaded poo pyramid blocking things. When you initially opened the blank tank valve to drain did the black water flow out and empty ok?

As others have mentioned, a good way to clean the black tank and break up any pyramids that could block the outlet is to add a few gal of water through the toilet, a bit of dawn or other dish soap and a bag of ice and go for a few mile drive to have everything slosh around and break up any blockages in the tank.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:55 AM   #23

I can't imagine there's a block because when I initially opened the blank tank valve to drain, the black water flowed out just fine, and emptied ok. Not touching any valves (so they're obviously still open), and just connecting a hose to the flusher opening and turning it on, nothing came out of the drain. Very puzzled.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #24

I had that same issue....

evidently when they ( mfg ) did the install they were nice enough to leave me the 3" cut out inside the tank.... It finally got "stuck" in the outlet when I was dumping...

Luckily I had an appointment the following weekend at the dealer for some warranty work and just added that to the small list.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I had that same issue....

evidently when they ( mfg ) did the install they were nice enough to leave me the 3" cut out inside the tank.... It finally got "stuck" in the outlet when I was dumping...

Luckily I had an appointment the following weekend at the dealer for some warranty work and just added that to the small list.
Thanks for that info. Dunno what to do now; put a plumbing snake up thru the exterior dump opening?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #26

You can try that BUT BEWARE.. IF you have a plug there and you dislodge it while doing that you will have a HUGE mess all over you and the ground once it starts flowing which will NOT give you warning....

Perhaps you can take a scope down the toilet? I purchased an observation camera that has a 36" long coil on it.... Got it at Harbor Freight for around $90.00.. I have used it for many issues around the house
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Joc View Post
Thanks for that info. Dunno what to do now; put a plumbing snake up thru the exterior dump opening?
If the floating coupon is you problem it will be messy to move/remove it so just be prepared & located somewhere the mess is not an issue.
Personally would recommend using a snake on any rv plumbing! An old water hose would safer up through the drain.
Or try one of these type fittings
ImageServer_e11ced31-080c-452b-aafb-5e5f4bf4bac9_1024x.jpg

F02-4350_bulk_1024x.jpg
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #28

My Black Tank Flush has been intermittent several times. Don't know why. As long as you can dump the tank.

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires

jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
If the floating coupon is you problem it will be messy to move/remove it so just be prepared & located somewhere the mess is not an issue.
Personally would recommend using a snake on any rv plumbing! An old water hose would safer up through the drain.
Attachment 3966

Attachment 3967
That should've read DO NOT use a snake in rv plumbing!!!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-09-2021, 01:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Attachment 3966

Attachment 3967
That clear attachment with that Valterra valve is exactly what I have. Since the black tank pull valve at the convenience center is very difficult to open and close, I’m concerned someday that it’s going to fail so I’m considering leaving the black tank pull valve always open at the convenient center and just use the Valterra valve at the end for opening and closing for dumping. What does everyone try think of that?
Old 01-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Joc View Post
I’m considering leaving the black tank pull valve always open at the convenient center and just use the Valterra valve at the end for opening and closing for dumping. What does everyone try think of that?
I too have been thinking about doing this and would like others opinion.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #32

In my case that wouldn't work! With the shower & washing machine going into the same grey tank when connected to sewer I left that valve open or was dumping every other day. So with the add on closed & the black valve open I wouldn't be able to do that.
From working on mine & a fellow RW owner we found that due to the way they ran the very long cable that the angle it was attached to the valve was pulling at about 90 degrees rather than straight out. We rerouted the cable & lubed them on both RVs & on one we rotated the valve body a 1/4 turn so that cables pulled straight making them work 110% easier.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined