Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

Convection microwave and central vacuum system?

My husband and I own a brand new GK. It was delivered to us in October. We have used it three times locally, and not for any long periods of time, just to use it, and since November, has been in storage. One week ago when we entered our RV just to load it to get ready for our trip up north for the summer I smelled electrical, a very strong odor of electrical. Come to find that the convection microwave burned out, and it wasn't even being used since it was in storage! How did that happen? And how lucky are we the RV didn't burn down. Never ever heard of anything like that happening. So I contacted Redwood through an e-mail to the product manager Jim Lazzarino, and to our salesman. Both responded quickly. My salesman being much more helpful . My husband and I decided to wait until we got up north to bring the rig to have it serviced. Now still not up north but heading that way because we made side stops, the central vacuum system doesn't work. Checked the bag, that's ok, checked the exhaust making sure nothing is blocking it and checked the hose to make sure nothing is clogged and all seems fine. What else will stop working? We are beginning to think we should just head back home and forget going north. Maybe it's an omen of what is to come. I don't have much faith in Redwood because in the past when we had to bring the rig in to fix little things shortly after we got it, and although things were fixed, when it came to two little screws that rusted redwood would not approve them to be replaced. Of course we did that ourselves, but since it was in shop, why wouldn't they approve those? But they did not. Now I'm a little apprehensive about Redwood's warranty. I know to maybe a few this may not seem like much, but with a new rig this really dismays us. And how long will it take to fix,and will where we take it take their sweet time since we didn't buy it from them. I think so! So that's my venting for today. Not happy right now, and hoping things get better and Redwood will not be a problem when we get it to where it will be serviced.
Annie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issues, Annie. As we're about to take delivery of our GK and become full-timers ourselves. I share your apprehension. I'd be equally apprehensive about buying a new house - I've watched as they've built a few new ones around here. And our beautiful old Vermont farmhouse has given us it's farewell going away gift (it's up for sale) with a cracked boiler and hot water heater, and a small leak in the slate roof. That's $4000 we'll never see again. So maybe the Universe is making us pay up front with our S&B house now rather than in the RW later. Or maybe we'll have to pay on both ends, LOL! After 65 years I've come to the conclusion that life isn't fair, wasn't inTENDed to be fair, and is at best a crap shoot (with an emphasis on the crap)! I guess that any day they aren't rounding us up for interment is a good one...
Sounds like maybe a mouse got into your vacuum system over the winter. I'm going to make sure that ALL systems are working properly when I pick ours up, and then we'll see how long they last until they no longer do. Like our house...
I'm hoping to hear some good stories from you soon. If not, find solace in the fact that we're all in the same fiver... :-)
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Is this your first RV?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

Problems?

No, actually we owned a Chapparel and never had a problem with it but decided to upgrade. Ha! Nothing but little problems. But the microwave is a big concern to us. Only because it burned out while the rig was in storage. We warehouse the unit when not in use.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie67 View Post
No, actually we owned a Chapparel and never had a problem with it but decided to upgrade. Ha! Nothing but little problems. But the microwave is a big concern to us. Only because it burned out while the rig was in storage. We warehouse the unit when not in use.
Annie, did you hear about the recall RW issued on some microwaves? Sounds like yours (maybe mine) were affected. I'll have my dealer check the serial # of my MW and see if it's one of the affected units. If so, it's a warranty swap out for both of us. Wanna trade your MW for my cracked boiler? :-)
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie67 View Post
Ann,

It's my understanding that Redwood has had some problems with the microwaves as have many other RVs manufactures who all use the same suppliers. Thankfully my Redwood is one of the older ones and we haven't experienced any problem with our microwave. There are fuses and circuit breakers to prevent fires so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

As for the warranty and quality issues......although like all RVs there are little things that will drive you crazy. Redwood has been a great company to work with and I wouldn't be worried about taking the Redwood on a trip. Last year alone I pulled mine over 23,000 miles and I figure to date its seen well over 30,000 miles of rough road throughout the country.

If your dealer says the warranty won't cover something then I would recommend working with the factory itself. If you're nice to them ....they'll be nice to you.

Happy Trails
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Site Team

I normally try to remember to unplug the microwave when the coach is in storage and connected to shore power. I do this just as safety precaution that I take as a result of hearing about the Frigidaire microwave issues even though mine is not in the safety recall range.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

We have been full time in our Redwood for almost 2 years. Very few problems. This is our third new 5th wheel since full time. First a Montana and than a Carriage. I think actually we have had fewer problems with the Redwood than the other two. IMOP if you can buy a new unit without any problems at all, you are the exception. Just like buying a new vehicle.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

Hate to hear this Annie. We have one of the recalled microwaves and now my wife doesn't want to wait for a replacement after reading your post. She wants it OUT! We were out of our rig for a few hours and found it running when we came back and very hot.
IMHO this should be a priority with Redwood! Will be anxious to hearing what they tell you.
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #10

We have always unplugged the microwave in all of our past and our RW. Who knows what can happen when you leave it for a period of time. We only leave it plugged in when we start our season. If we move it we unplug. So far no problems. Sounds like a product issue. We wish you our best in resolving the issue and thank the powers that are you didn't have a fire.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #11

Our microwave isn't part of the recall, but the convection oven wouldn't come up to temperature. Our dealer is working diligently to get it fixed.

Keep working with your dealer and the factory/service center to get the issues resolved. We have nothing but great things to say about the service we have received on all warranty issues.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #12

If unsure of your microwave, leave it unplugged until replaced.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

Still haven't heard anything from warranty people at Redwood. They are suppose to call, and that was several days ago. I guess we'll have to call them. And being nice is always a good thing to be!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

How are you guys unplugging it? is it up in the cupboard? I don't recall seeing it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #15

Convection microwave?

Yes, we unplugged, and it's up in the cupboard above micro. Ours is a microwave that was recalled. Still haven't heard from warranty.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #16

Annie - I called RW this morning 855-226-7496, spoke to Lynn in Customer Service. He told me the microwaves were being fixed by Frigidaire. I had to give him some information for a form he had to fill out. That goes to Frigidaire and they send a tech person out to repair or replace our microwaves. Ours is at the dealers in Dallas so the repairman will go there. He said they are being handled quickly after the form is received. I would suggest calling them! Worked for us! Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #17

Yes, I'm going to call in the morning. However I was told by my Redwood sales person warranty was going to call us. Thanks for the info. By the way my sales person in the past has always helped us and has been on top of everything. I don't have a problem with him at all. He's the best!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #18

Where do you get the numbers for the recalled microwave? Ours has a convection microwave. Thanks!

Eileen and John
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #19

http://rv-pro.com/news/more-models-r...over-microwave
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
Where do you get the numbers for the recalled microwave? Ours has a convection microwave. Thanks!

Eileen and John
Thanks Dro67...will call dealer in morning and check vin #s
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hole in roof. | air »