Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #21

We had a king memory foam mattress in our house, so when we got the first 5er, we got a matching one for it... then when we got the 38gk, the oem mattress never came out of the bag and went right into storage

For us part timers, it was nice sleeping on the same mattress all the time..

But the new coach has a king sleep number and like many people, you either love it or hate it... and have to remember to check the air before you jump onto the bed and 'bottom out' !!!!

considering getting a foam topper to 'level the playing field'.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
But the new coach has a king sleep number and like many people, you either love it or hate it... and have to remember to check the air before you jump onto the bed and 'bottom out' !!!!
So, Do you Love It or Hate It?
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #23

Ha ha - Hate that we gave away our nice 12" memory foam to the kids !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #24
Site Team

I have a King sleep number bed in the rV and love it. We had a queen sleep number in the Redwood. The brick and stick home has a sleep number in it as well.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I didn't know you could buy a 31SL with a King bed. Was that an upgrade from the factory? Have you had any problems by just using the European slats for a frame?
Our 31SL came with a pillow top king mattress on the European slats and is very comfortable.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
Our 31SL came with a pillow top king mattress on the European slats and is very comfortable.
X2 We like ours too
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #27

We just wanted to thank everyone for the input. We decided to go with the Sleep Number Premier short RV queen non radius bed. We went through Camping World online and received the bed within 1 week. We have initially placed the bed in our home and will place in the Redwood when we start travelling. We went with the Sleep Number over the Dreamaire(same as the Comfortaire, just Camping World's exclusive name) because the Sleep number is the model with the additional 2" foam topper. The Dreamaire is the same as the Sleep Number Deluxe model which Camping World does not offer due to the Dreamaire deal. We can't give feedback yet as to how we like it because it's only been a week and we are still getting our "number" figured out but it was very easy to put together and very quiet and easy to operate.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #28

Advice on installation of the Sleep #. (Preface first: We are in SoCal and purchased our 2015 GK from a dealer in Memphis. It is now in a covered storage until first of April when we go to pick it up and bring it back to SoCal.) The stock mattress was no good for us when we purchased the GK. We have purchased a Sleep # Queen and taking it with us when we pick our new home up, and will be changing it out first thing. The existing frame in the GK is a metal frame with wood slats as I recall. It does not extend all the way to the foot-end of the mattress, so is not too solid when sitting on the end of the bed. I'm thinking of removing the existing frame and replacing it with plywood. It would need to be a few inches shorter than the mattress as it "crunches" to the street side cabinets with slides in. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding the frame/base? Hinge for the new plywood towards the head of the bed? I'll figure it out when we get back to Memphis, but would like to have a plan beforehand. Would appreciate any help & suggestions & maybe a picture ( we took a million pictures, but not one of the bed frame!). Thanks all!
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #29

We removed that bed frame & added 1/2" plywood with a 10" memory foam mattress, no hinges. Sorry no pictures, but also extended the plywood to as much as possible with the slide in, I think the bedroom layout on the GK is very similar to our FB, so far in 3 years since it's worked very well. While I had the top removed there was a vacant area at the foot approximately 14"w × 14"h × 36" long that I added a floor to a
& cut an opening at the foot of the bed with a door, we store seasonal items there & it was just dead space before.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #30

Danny & Linda,
I agree on the similarity of floor plans. Ours has a drawer where your vacant area was at the foot of the bed. So did you just screw the plywood down?
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #31

Yes! There are plenty of cross sections to support the plywood.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #32

Not sure if you have the slide in slide. Ours did. We had the dealer install the plywood as part of the purchase. They screwed the ply directly to the metal frame. They carpeted the ply...really did a nice job..

The metal frame is on rollers and part of the slide.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #33
Site Team

When I did mine, I used self tapping screws and screwed the plywood to the metal frame. The center support was low, so I cut a strip of plywood about 2 inches wide and placed that up the center. I then cut 2 pieces of plywood (length wise) and had them meet over this center piece. This kept the entire bed frame flat and a good foundation for the sleep number bed.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #34

Dave

Now that some time has elapsed do you miss the Redwood and are you happy with the MH? Just curious. It's a big configuration change, and wondering how you think of it now.

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #35
Site Team

Jim,

I enjoyed the Redwood and the folks with the Redwoods immensely. What we currently have fits us very well and we enjoy the conveniences that it offers. Like all RVs, they have issues but the Entegra customer service amazes me each time I call them.

I don't regret the move