Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #1

coach battery

What type of battery did my 2013 36rl come with need to replace and think the one that are in it are the wrong ones ?
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #2

If the RV is new to you, and the batteries are older than a few years - I would just replace them. My dealer had installed one group 27 (haha, way too small) but I soon replaced it since the inverter requires more Ah's. I now have 2 - 6v batteries wired in series for 12v and apx 220Ah's now, and the batteries are in the 2 battery box's that came from the factory.

One day when I have to replace these 2 again, I might go with 4 - 6v for 440Ah's. I have found a 4 place battery box that might work but will wait till I really need it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #3

my batts froze and they are marine/rv 400cca? there is only 2 of them . What is the correct ones that this coach takes?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #4

Batterys are dealer installed , really just depends on how good the dealer is. My feeling is two group 27 is the bare min. If you have a inverter more is better , without shore power your frig may only run 6~10 hrs with out a charge on a very hot day.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua View Post
my batts froze and they are marine/rv 400cca? there is only 2 of them . What is the correct ones that this coach takes?
Cold cranking amps aren't going to help in a rv application. You need a pair of deep cycle rv/marine type, minimum group 27, batteries wired parallel or at least 2 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. The brand or where to buy is up to you, but Sams or Costco usually have decent prices on both.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #6

Do u need agm or lead core. There is a big difference in price. If my box will fit a 31 over a 27 ? What is your thoughts on that.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #7

Another topic of many points of view. Just sayin' we bought our coach new in April 2013 and had dealer put in Diehard Platinum Marine Group 31's AGM's. I had them load tested before heading south late this last summer.........an independent battery wholesaler said "They still load test within specs." Unfortunately Sears no longer sells this battery, but I think the larger the battery the better. If you want to spend more, some will advocate 4 6V golf cart batteries, but those require periodic maintenance. So you have to make your own decisions about what meets your own needs.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

I used two Trojan T-145 6V in series for my RL.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #9

If you really depend on your batteries, I would recommend getting true deep cycle batteries over RV/marine type batteries. Generally, when looking for RV batteries, don't look at cca ratings, look at amp/hours. True deep cycle will last longer than an RV/marine battery. If GC2 size fits your boxes, they can be bought at Costco, Sam's, etc at reasonable prices. Also price golf cart stores, there's a good chance to get a decent price there too. These are 6 volt that I'm talking about, so you will have to wire them in series.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #10

The advantages of AGM batteries are they can be installed in an unvented area, but I still don't recommend that, and the battery area in your Redwood is vented, so that's a moot point. The AGMs are no maintenance as far as having to add water, but connections should still be checked on a regular basis. I recommend checking with the AGM battery manufacturer on the charging curve and ensure the charging system you use is compatible with the batteries. AGMs don't charge the same as a lead/acid battery. And yes, they are more expensive.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #11

i paid for the UPGRADED batteries when I purchased my Redwood, they were group 31 ...
It was the Residential Appliance Package - $MSRP= $2,007.00...
it included the Whirlpool French Door Stainless,w/ice maker and water...1000w Pure Sine Inverter, 2 Group 31 bats..

they lasted 2 years.. I paid extra and installed 2 of the Lifeline Group 31 AGM batteries.. The Magnum has a setting special for AGM's....

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
i paid for the UPGRADED batteries when I purchased my Redwood, they were group 31 ...
It was the Residential Appliance Package - $MSRP= $2,007.00...
it included the Whirlpool French Door Stainless,w/ice maker and water...1000w Pure Sine Inverter, 2 Group 31 bats..

they lasted 2 years.. I paid extra and installed 2 of the Lifeline Group 31 AGM batteries.. The Magnum has a setting special for AGM's....

Joe
Sams had a sale last year on grp 31 Duracell marine batteries. I bit the bullet and replaced my 2 wet cell batteries that had died twice in 4 years and I am very happy with them. The Magnum inverter/charger has to be set up for the new batteries. Maintaining wet batteries in a RW is a pain in the back!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua View Post
What type of battery did my 2013 36rl come with need to replace and think the one that are in it are the wrong ones ?
As mentioned by some, the batteries are dealer installed so there is no specifically "correct" battery. I personally prefer the lead acid as opposed to the AGM for cost and charging reasons. Two 6 volt deep cycle (golf cart type) batteries wired in series will give you the longest usage if you are dry camping as their amp hour capacity is the greatest. If you are always plugged into shore power it won't make a great deal of difference. If the power happens to go out, an inverter can draw the batteries down quickly so the two 6 volts would be my choice.

Retired and happy
Mike & Lizzy
2013 36FB Black & Silver w/ 2018 F350 Lariat LWB DRW Powerstroke
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies. I had group 24 agm battery’s in the unit. But after consulting interstate Batteries rep. I went with 2 group 31 srm interstates and believe that they will work better and the warranty is a tad bit better. They were only $ 110 a piece Guess we salll see.