Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #21

Mine kept going off too. I thought I was going to have to replace it, but after calling the manufacturer, I discovered my battery was low and that was causing it to go off. BTW, when checking your voltage on your battery, be sure to check it with the shore power off.
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
It the S&B both CO and gas detection? Most residential style are just CO.
You know, that's a good question. Never thought to look for the gas part. Guess I will now.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #23

We bought a plug-in one at Costco that DEFINITELY was CO and Gas. I was surprised.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #24

I have a 2016 36rl. My propane sensor went off in the middle of the night. No leak (RV repairman checked) Happened several more times, always in the middle of the night. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the sensor. Same thing. Frustrated, I removed the sensor from the cabinet panel it is mounted in and relocated it to the other side, farther away from the return air duct and the refrigerator (Residential). The first night it seemed to do the trick. With warmer nights now, I will have to wait to use the furnace before I know for sure. If this illiminates the false alarms, the dealer/manufacture will have to repair the cabinet and reinstall the sensor.
rhand48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #25

Mine did that several times when I first spent a few nights in it. Almost caused a divorce as the wife left and went home as she was sure we would be dead by morning. I went and paid my $120 for a new one and replaced it. It happened again when I figured out the reason was the fact that the main batteries were about discharged (I was not plugged into power). I have been plugged in for about ten months now and have never had an issue again. The unit had a ink stamp clearly stating it should be replaced every five years.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Site Team

A lot of things set those off but it's not safe to go without them.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #27

According to the sensor manufacturer, low voltage will cause a "chirp". My batteries were checked and found to have a steady 13.4 volts. BTW, I am plugged into shore power.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #28

You have something else going on - don't blame Redwood for the location. My 36RL is in the factory location and has been since new without issue, and there are about 30,000 others that don't have that problem.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #29

Some are just faulty, yours may have been on the back of the for 5 years before they found it, replaced mine after 3 years & no more 2am same ups.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #30

I typed "2am wake ups", damn auto correct.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhand48 View Post
I have a 2016 36rl. My propane sensor went off in the middle of the night. No leak (RV repairman checked) Happened several more times, always in the middle of the night. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the sensor. Same thing. Frustrated, I removed the sensor from the cabinet panel it is mounted in and relocated it to the other side, farther away from the return air duct and the refrigerator (Residential). The first night it seemed to do the trick. With warmer nights now, I will have to wait to use the furnace before I know for sure. If this illiminates the false alarms, the dealer/manufacture will have to repair the cabinet and reinstall the sensor.

At 3 years of age, the CO/Gas detector went off. At first, I thought it was the smoke detector but I finally determined that it was not. The sound was so piercing that I could not determine the source until I saw the light on the detector. Anyway, long story short, I discovered a pin hole leak in the LP pigtail on the left side tank. It took a few minutes before I noticed the LP odor. These detectors are very very sensitive. Don't dismiss the possibility that it is actually detecting a real issue, especially if you have replaced the detector and the new one is also alarming. I would recommend you find a real technician that is experienced in troubleshooting gas related problems and find the cause.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #32

Ours has started to go off regularly warning us of a propane leak. Cant smell any propane even after leaving the RV for and extended period of time. The park called us today saying the was an alarm going off in our trailer so when I get back Ill have to check and see if the is any LP smell. We have been living in ours for over a year full time and this just started happening about 3 days ago.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #33

I found the cause of the Propane Sensor alarm. Repeated trips to the dealer resulted in them removing the furnace and checking there for leaks. Sure enough. The propane feed at the furnace was barely connected. I was told by the tech, that it would only leak when the furnace called for propane - the gas would build up and eventually leak into the kitchen area, activating the sensor. Factory needs to do better at quality control and inspections. This could have been a disaster.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #34

Wow that would have been bad. I am glad you got that fixed!!!

I wish they would let me take over quality control at the RW plant for about three months as I would straighten it out. I have been in QC/QA for nearly 40 years and to read this forum you would think these things were built in Uganda and shipped over here. Come on Americans, TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK!!!! This goes to the engineers and managers as well!!! Heck my truck is entirely assembled in Mexico and likely with most components made there as well (Engine American made!). I have 56K miles on it and it has only went back to the dealer at 900 miles for a reflash of the computer. Maybe we need to ship the RW plant to MEXICO!!!

Sorry for the rant but sometimes this stuff just gets to me. It is gotten to the point one is afraid to hook it up and go anywhere without the brakes failing, leaf springs breaking or the roof decides that the RW really wanted to be a sail boat

One could easily generate a punchlist of items from this site that engineering needs to look at and implement some changes. For those sorry workers that seem to make the same stupid mistakes time after time, FIRE THEM!

I had a major American manufacturing plant in the electric industry bring their key plant personnel (operators and QC) to where I work for me to speak to them about quality. My major point to them was to take pride in your work and begin to build a quality product or your jobs would soon be sent to Mexico, China or elsewhere.

The RV industry thinks they are immune to this but the day will come when someone will be building a better RV product in Mexico with their $1 an hour labor.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #35

Ours had to be replaced at the four year mark. I had to disconnect mine (after determining I had no gas leak) in order to get some sleep...it had a mind of it's own...usually going off around 2 in the a.m. If you remove the two screws from the unit, you can disconnect the wires...two screw nuts. I found a replacement at Camping World for around $70.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #36

Low coach batteries will cause it to alarm also.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #37

Our is at the dealer getting a punch list of repairs done under warranty. one of our complaints was the alarm sounding intermittently. I'm going to notify the dealer and have them check the furnace connection just in case.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #38

Mine went after 4 years and yes 4 AM, ordered through Amazon.
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote