Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 AM   #21
Traveling

What a GREAT idea!! I am going to remember that!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #22

One issue with that is the heat may come DOWN....
I know convection heat SHOULD go up.... but if I leave my attic stairs down in my garage @ home the heat from the attic does heat up the garage...

We just turn the BR ac down more and leave the closet doors open to cool it...

That's the cost we pay for having that nice black paint on the outside nose
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #23

That could actually make it worse, as you have roof vents to the attic only and that could push from the attic down into your closet. It would be like leaving the attic access door through the ceiling open in your house for a few hours - whoa does it heat up a room.

On edit - We were typing the same thought at the same time Jon
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #24

While they are putting the vent in, maybe they could install a small fan to blow the heat up. Something like a pancake fan may work, and there should be 12V. to the closet light. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #25

We have our best maxi fan in the bedroom. Pulls air in and out and at 78˚opens to relieve the heat in the room like the rest of the fans. I have maxi covers on my lower two fans and this season I will add one to the bed room so I do not have to worry about leaving the fan open and off. My only future concern is the height of the unit while traveling. We are at a campground again this year so that is not a problem. The front vent seems to help with our afternoon heat rise.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
Traveling

We ordered the maxx fan in the bedroom too, for the same reason. Menopausal women + lack of bedroom air flow at night = bad deal. ;-)

I was thinking of closing the bedroom door and using the fan to exhaust the heat during the day, since we typically don't spend much time in there during daytime hours. Could keep the closet doors open and the side window over the bed for airflow. Just have to wait and see I guess. We have the bedroom air conditioner but don't anticipate using it too much during the DAY to save energy... Good discussion.

Obviously they should make the nose-cones out of SOLAR PANEL!!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #27

My old RV was a class A Newmar. It had slide windows on both sides of the slide at the head of the bed. Gave great air circulation.

Loved to open mine at night and feel the breeze.

I've always thought about getting some put in my Redwood
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #28

In the summertime I find leaving the doors open helps dissipate the heat and lets the cool air in. In the winter I put an oil filled heater in there and I plug it in on bed pedestal. So far I have been pleased with the results, however I live alone most of time and wife does not seem to mind that the closet doors are open when she visit. We do close them if we have company.
arcticman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
We ordered the maxx fan in the bedroom too, for the same reason. Menopausal women + lack of bedroom air flow at night = bad deal. ;-)

I was thinking of closing the bedroom door and using the fan to exhaust the heat during the day, since we typically don't spend much time in there during daytime hours. Could keep the closet doors open and the side window over the bed for airflow. Just have to wait and see I guess. We have the bedroom air conditioner but don't anticipate using it too much during the DAY to save energy... Good discussion.

Perfect idea with the Solar! For sure water tubes could get heated behind that nose

Just a note, the ACs are connected together with common ducting, so you would also have to close the vents in the bedroom.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #30
Traveling

Ah... thanks. I wasn't sure if they were or not. So now my plans will have to change. I'll figure something out. I thought that I had seen the bedroom had a separate thermostat though. I don't quite understand that.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #31

yep, it has a separate thermostat and the units run independently as temp calls for it, but the return air is ducted together and the supply air is ducted together, so you can cool the whole coach on 1 unit if temperatures are mild outside. Basically you have central air with a 15K or 30K btu capacity depending on how many units are turned on.

Don't know if you got the heat pumps, but you can actually get in a situation where one is running heat and the other AC and they just fight each other through the same ductwork. Our living room AC had shutdown as the evening got cooler, but was still in the AC position. Wife kicked on the heat pump in the bedroom to warm the place up when we came in from the yard, and the forward unit heated the place up enough it caused the rear unit to start the air conditioning again. I wondered why the fans were running so ferociously on both units, when it just wasn't that much of a temperature difference from the outside, then it dawned on me when I saw the positions on each thermostat.

I suppose that can happen between a furnace and AC as well if they are on separate thermostats, but it puts a new twist to RV HVAC
Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Ah... thanks. I wasn't sure if they were or not. So now my plans will have to change. I'll figure something out. I thought that I had seen the bedroom had a separate thermostat though. I don't quite understand that.
They do have separate thermostats and use the same duct work. It requires a little experimentation to set the thermostats. What I have settled on is to set the main thermostat in the living area to where I want the temperature and then set the second thermostat about 1 to 2 degrees above the first.
That way if the heat rise becomes more than the first A/C can handle, the second A/C will come on to add additional cooling.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:

Last June I was in Arizona and found that if I tuned on my maxx air fans the a/c worked harder and I had worst results. I found it best to keep the closet doors open.

I've camped in the winter and as long as I kept the closet door open, the furnace was strong enough with the help of the fireplace to keep the whole coach toasty and the temperature even.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #34

Thanks Dave, I failed to mention that we don't use the maxi air fans to exhaust the cool ac air. It's counter productive. However while showering we do use the one in the bath...or while burning toast. The three do work well when you first open you coach after a couple of days sealed up. Then turn on the ac.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #35
Traveling

Ditto here... I would not run the AC if I had the Maxx fans going. They would just blow all the cold air OUT!!