Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #21

Lol...sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up but will definitely let folks know if, in a fortunate turn of events, the sensor actually stays accurate.
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #22

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-12-pack/56068

Used by most Full Time campers I run into, plus I have used it from day one as per my dealers recommendation. I put one in at the start of my trip and one in each time after I empty the tank.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #23

Thanks Buddy. Ordered a package - even on sale. I imagine that a good, efficient use (due to concerns about cost) may be to, once finished dumping and moving to new spot, fill the black water partially with water and drop in a couple of packets to work on the crud while on the road.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #24

Actually ordered the TST Probe Cleaner as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #25

Many full timers don't use the so called rv holding treatments. The holding tank is basically a septic tank without a drain field. Your RV holding tank chemicals contain a bacterial enzyme that is used to digest waste and a deodorant for the odor. Your chemicals for septic tanks contain the same stuff except they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price. The sensor cleaner contains anionic and non-ionic detergents, water softening agents and colorants. You can buy these things at Wal Mart or other similar stores and accomplish the same thing a lot cheaper. It's like a lot of things in this country, you put a specialized name on something that is ordinary and you can jack up the price. This is one of the reasons I very seldom hit Camping World, I have found I can fine the same thing elsewhere a lot cheaper
Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #26

Thanks....good to know.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
Many full timers don't use the so called rv holding treatments. The holding tank is basically a septic tank without a drain field. Your RV holding tank chemicals contain a bacterial enzyme that is used to digest waste and a deodorant for the odor. Your chemicals for septic tanks contain the same stuff except they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price. The sensor cleaner contains anionic and non-ionic detergents, water softening agents and colorants. You can buy these things at Wal Mart or other similar stores and accomplish the same thing a lot cheaper. It's like a lot of things in this country, you put a specialized name on something that is ordinary and you can jack up the price. This is one of the reasons I very seldom hit Camping World, I have found I can fine the same thing elsewhere a lot cheaper
Regular septic tanks don't have sensors and the plumbing has trap to prevent sewer gas from backing up. The sensors have never failed me and it is due to this product. I use only Chevron Diesel of 51 Cetane as well because you get what you pay for.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
Regular septic tanks don't have sensors and the plumbing has trap to prevent sewer gas from backing up. The sensors have never failed me and it is due to this product. I use only Chevron Diesel of 51 Cetane as well because you get what you pay for.

Buddy, so you use both the drop in packets andChevron Diesel of 51 Cetane?</span>
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #29

Chevron in my Ford F450 and only pointing out you get what you pay for. I also add Ford Cetane and Performance additive to every tank. Protecting my investment with only the best no matter the cost.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #30

Buddy, If you want to spend your money on that, it is your choice. Myself, I like to check out the hype before I believe it. Sometimes it is true, sometimes not. Some of it is like the old ad that if you put these specialized magnets on your fuel line to align the molecules if the gas, you would get better mileage. Believe what you want.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #31

I've always had a standing rule, if you have to add it, it wasn't needed to begin with.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #32

Unless Chevron is the only refinery within about 100+/- miles of your location then you could getting whosoever fuel is the cheapest at the time, Chevron or whatever company own additives may be added, but the same fuel could be at Walmart, Shell, Flying J, or wherever. The use of additional additives is a personal choice, not for me.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans
Unless Chevron is the only refinery within about 100+/- miles of your location then you could getting whosoever fuel is the cheapest at the time, Chevron or whatever company own additives may be added, but the same fuel could be at Walmart, Shell, Flying J, or wherever. The use of additional additives is a personal choice, not for me.
Not so, I did the test and don't get the knocks, plus better fuel mileage with Chevron, both with my Diesel F450 and my Lincoln Mark LT. I even dropped a bunch using Shell which is 41 Cetane. I only use Chevron 93 Octane in my Mark LT.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #34

Beg to differ! Spent the last 16 years of my career in that business. We pipelined fuels for Valero, but received fuels from Conoco, Fina/Alon, Koch, &amp; Explorer &amp; sold to anyone with Valero having priority. Whichever company offered the best price is the one that sold the most at a particulr time. Each company has its own particular additive, but the fuel could come from any company. If you are happy buying from a particular company, by all means buy there, but you may or may not be buying their own specific fuel. Most newer diesel engines do not require additives as lubricity &amp; required amount of cetane added at the refinery.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #35

Never worked in the fuel industry, but Sioux Falls had a big pipeline and tank farm that we inspected. In talking with them, that is basically what they said. When the transports pull up to fill, the driver would climb up to open the lids, and sometimes you would see them dump something into the tank before they filled. You would see transports from different companies lining up to fill from the same nozzle. The only time I ever added anything to the fuel was in the winter time up north, If I couldn't get #1, and wasn't sure what the station's blend was, I would add some power service or something similar to keep the fuel from gelling.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #36

Sorry to hijack this thread, if I have further comments wiil start new thread.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #37

Thanks Texans
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #38

After one draining black tank back to showing 2/3 full when completely empty. Have ordered an LST product to clean sensors but have my doubts. Of course will let folks if it works though.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #39

This our 3rd 5er with same type of indicators none of which have worked worth a d#@n after a couple fills, black always shows 2/3 &amp; greys show 1/3. After fulltiming several years, have learned the sound of black tank at flush when it is getting close to full, don't pay attention to indicators.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #40

Water, water, water, water... and more water. For the grey tanks, buy a back flush valve... then fill your tanks several times (usually takes about 5 minutes per fill.)

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote