Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Ceiling falling down

This morning I was looking at my ceiling and noticed that some of the panels are falling/sagging down. As I pulled to joint trim strips I have found that Redwood only stapled one of the pieces of the plywood to the roof joist and the other was held up by the joint trim piece. All I can say is WOW!!!!! If I said anything else it would sound like I just unloaded a ship of sailers. WOW!!!!!!
Tomkidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
This morning I was looking at my ceiling and noticed that some of the panels are falling/sagging down. As I pulled to joint trim strips I have found that Redwood only stapled one of the pieces of the plywood to the roof joist and the other was held up by the joint trim piece. All I can say is WOW!!!!! If I said anything else it would sound like I just unloaded a ship of sailers. WOW!!!!!!
Sorry to hear this....

what year and model is your Redwood. Can you post pictures?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

I saw some of the Redwoods doing that at the RV show last year - embarrassing.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

This is what my ceiling looked like only worse in the bedroom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

I have a 2013 36RL. I really am appalled that this coach has such poor workmanship. The unit has maybe 3000 miles of tow time on it total. At first I thought the roof was leaking and almost had a stroke.. It really is a shame when you are happy that it is only poor workmanship and not something big. Once again........WOW!!!!!!!!! I am so glad we all are happy spending an insane amount of money for poor quality.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Not sure the design is the best, but........ apparently the trim pieces are strong enough to hold the ceiling panels in place. Add this to the list of things to watch as the trailers age because over time these short cuts will become more obvious.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

As I understand, and have seen many manufacturers build their roof sections the same way, They spray a foam over the edges of the roof rafters to adhere the rafters to the ceiling panels. One end of these sections is only placed almost 1/2 way under the ceiling rafter so as to have a place for the next completed section to be secured, overlapping it under the rafter. They have recommended carefully removing loose ceiling trim, pre-drilling small holes into the aluminum rafters where it will not show, and secure with small screws. Then re-secure the loose ceiling trim with an adhesive and pin nail back in place. Not all sections have loosened on ours, in fact only a few have loosened. The one near the entry door, 1 in the hallway and 1 in the bedroom of our '12 36RL.

Could possibly screw ceiling panels back tight then adhere using a clear silicone and taping the ceiling trim in place instead of pin nails, removing the tape after the adhesive is cured.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

On my unit it looks as if the trim or the plywood ceiling joints were not carefully fastened. The main issue is Redwood is awesome in using stamp steel roof trusses, but........... Staples and brads do not hold in to steel. I fixed mine for now but I will need to come up with a new way to fasten these panels onto the trusses and hide the fasteners so it will be pleasing to the eye.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
They have recommended carefully removing loose ceiling trim, pre-drilling small holes into the aluminum rafters where it will not show, and secure with small screws. Then re-secure the loose ceiling trim with an adhesive and pin nail back in place.

Could possibly screw ceiling panels back tight then adhere using a clear silicone and taping the ceiling trim in place instead of pin nails, removing the tape after the adhesive is cured.

Chris
Ya - too bad the factory didn't use that much care in assembly - instead they just blasted it with a nail gun, even the walls.

I carry a nail/brad gun with me to fix all the stuff falling off - no sense using Lexus construction techniques to fix a coach built with Kia construction techniques
Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #10

I really don't think I could have said it better myself
Old 11-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

Having not experienced the problem up to this point, I haven't seen exactly how Redwood adheres the panels but if the panels are secured to a metal truss of some sort or even if it was a wood truss, the construction industry has many adhesives that would probably do the trick but the issue would be if you ever wanted to remove the panel in the future it may be difficult. If you run a bead of high strength construction adhesive along the underside of the truss and then stick the panel back up there and keep it in place with pressure from a 2 x 4 for the recommended hours it should be fixed!! I can't tell you how many times I have installed trim with adhesive. I've also used high strength adhesive to install carpet tack strips to concrete. After about2-3 hours you can stretch carpet on it. After you get the panels right I would I would use less permanent adhesive to put the cover strips back in place or just tack them back up. Again, I have not had this issue yet, just thinking of a fix.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

I've had to use liquid nails and a clamp to put the wall panel back to the studs on the interior of the living room slide. I noticed it popped again this last fall. It's almost like the wall panel is cut a little too long with the carpet and when the rig bounces down the road up pushes up on it.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 2013 36RL. I really am appalled that this coach has such poor workmanship. The unit has maybe 3000 miles of tow time on it total. At first I thought the roof was leaking and almost had a stroke.. It really is a shame when you are happy that it is only poor workmanship and not something big. Once again........WOW!!!!!!!!! I am so glad we all are happy spending an insane amount of money for poor quality.

The only thing that I can think to say might be construed to be a negative comment, so, I will lighten up...............Com'on Redwood.............let's try a little harder to get it right.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #14

The good thing about doing everything over(yourself) is at least you know It was repaired right. I just finished Caulking the seams. no gaps at all now. Wow the others look really bad
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
These little challenges in life come to all of us. But the satisfaction of doing the repair correctly far out weighs the inconvienience
Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #16

I've had two areas in unit where the panels have come loose. One panel is the side panel at the rear of the kitchen slide-out (near light switch) and the other is the ceiling panel edge over the dining table area. I shot some epoxy type of glue behind the panel edges and drove in a few brad nails with my compressor. So far they are holding up fine.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #17

I think I just realized why there is the receiver in the rear........ It is for towing a cargo trailer with all the repair tools in it.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #18

Quote:
I think I just realized why there is the receiver in the rear........ It is for towing a cargo trailer with all the repair tools in it.
No-no, that's for towing it home after the Tri-Glide breaks off:

Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #19

OMG!!!!!!!!! I have not laughed so hard in a long time
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #20

My grandson and i just about lost the chili we just ate. Where in the world do you dig up this stuff!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote