Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

CDL License

I am amazed that we can drive rigs over 40 feet long with no formal training or testing. With the increase of Newbies on the road not knowing how to properly hitch or drive their rig safety is a real issue. I have seen at least three accidents this last year involving fifth wheelers.

I got tested for my Class "A" CDL last week for my own satisfaction. I really think the minimum anybody towing a 40 foot plus rig at 26000 pounds should at least read the CDL manual, it is full of helpful information. Personally I would like to see RVers required to pass the written test and at least have the skill test to see if they can properly drive the rig and do a straight line backup. How many of you feel the same way.

Thanks
Tom
tjh@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:43 AM   #2

[QUOTE=tjh@reagan.com;89072]I am amazed that we can drive rigs over 40 feet long with no formal training or testing. With the increase of Newbies on the road not knowing how to properly hitch or drive their rig safety is a real issue. I have seen at least three accidents this last year involving fifth wheelers.

I got tested for my Class "A" CDL last week for my own satisfaction. I really think the minimum anybody towing a 40 foot plus rig at 26000 pounds should at least read the CDL manual, it is full of helpful information. Personally I would like to see RVers required to pass the written test and at least have the skill test to see if they can properly drive the rig and do a straight line backup. How many of you feel the same way.

Spend a little time in your easy chair outside on Friday afternoon / evening at the camp grounds. you will see 50% of the driver with tow vehicles that done have mirrors wide enough to see beside the RV. You will see most of them have zero clue how to back up a 20' trailer never mind something almost 70' combine. last weekend I saw a 2500hd pulling a triple axle toy hauler that was way more then that 6.0L gas motor wanted to pull. The owner had come from the NY area to CT. I am certain the rear axle in the truck was overloaded at least 1500lbs+. I think a short film and written test would help but If they hold the RV dealer more accountable for selling a RV to someone with a car/ truck to small for what they are pulling is just as bad .
Old 07-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

My wife and I took a 2-day driver's course in our dually/43' fifth wheel weighing in at 29,000 pounds. Glad we did and see many others with a lot to learn but not at others expense ...
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #4

In Calif. it is a requirement to have a Non commercial A or a commercial CDL A to pull a 5th wheel trailer over 15,000#. To obtain a Noncommercial A license you take both C and A written tests plus a driving test. With the Non commercial A the only requirement to keep it up is a health questionnaire to be turned into the DMV every two years, or you will revert to a C license. You would be surprised how many drivers are either not aware or don’ t give a dam about this law, hopefully they don’t get in an accident and their insurance refuses to pay because your are not properly qualified to pull a heavy trailer.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:33 AM   #5

I have been carrying my CDL Class "A" for 35 years... My endorsements include:
Class A - Motorcycle - Doubles - Triples - Tanker - Passenger Bus, except school bus, need to be employed by school bus company. Had Hazard Material but let it expire..

Have driven everything from 50' refers to 65' stretch trailers with rebar on them..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh@reagan.com View Post
I am amazed that we can drive rigs over 40 feet long with no formal training or testing. With the increase of Newbies on the road not knowing how to properly hitch or drive their rig safety is a real issue. I have seen at least three accidents this last year involving fifth wheelers.

Thanks
Tom
Fine, you got a CDL. I do not need anyone advocating more governmental controls. I have pulled a 5th wheel over 150K mile and have seen very few RV owners who fall into the stupid category. Imposing more government licensing requirements to al RV owners because of a few stupid operators is overkill and unwanted.
Redwood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood2012 View Post
Fine, you got a CDL. I do not need anyone advocating more governmental controls. I have pulled a 5th wheel over 150K mile and have seen very few RV owners who fall into the stupid category. Imposing more government licensing requirements to al RV owners because of a few stupid operators is overkill and unwanted.
I agree. I also don't want more government controls and think it is not necessary. I have pulled 5th wheels for 15 years and have seen only a few bad fifthwheelers and a CDL probably would not fix it.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #8

You know what they say "You can't fix STUPID"
Forcing a CDL on all would fall right in line with all the current Gun laws that have done next to nothing, but push us toward totally banning guns from normal citizens while the criminals run wild with fully automatic firearms.
How about getting the Government at all levels to enforce the laws and regs they already have on the books, we don't need more.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #9

I worked for a major oil company that had a fuel terminal in the DFW area, those fuel haulers had to be accompanied for several weeks & pass a 20 question test. If they missed 3 questions on that test they didn't pass & had to wait a couple days before retesting. My DW also worked at that terminal, one of her jobs was giving & witnessing those taking those test, it was unbelievable how many would miss the 1st 3 questions at which point she told them to stop, some tried to cheat by stealing the test (there were about 5 different versions) & believe it or not there were several that couldn't read the test & had to have it given verbally. Those drivers somehow got a CDL with the hazmat endorsement from the state, whatever that may mean to their ability to haul 10000 gallons of gasoline on the highway next to you.
So requiring a test or a specific license for rvers wouldn't help those that can't drive anyway & we sure as hell don't more guberment regulations.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 AM   #10

AMEN to Michelle and Danny. You pretty much summed up the discussion. Government can screw up a train wreck. We as free people, need to take responsibility for our rigs and our actions.
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
Site Team

There are many states, not all, that require in the MVA regulations that a vehicle or combination over 26,001 lbs requires a non-commercial Class A or B. This is the same license as a CDL but does not have the medical or log book requirements. Testing in most states is the same. This is commonly either ignored or not enforced. And to one of the other posters, Texas is one of the states that requires it. Again, just not enforced - until and unless you have an accident or get stopped for a violation.

I currently am a South Dakota resident. I had a Maryland Class A (required in MD). SD does not issue letter class licenses other than CDL. I’m totally legal in SD to drive my rig, pictured below. This was verified to me by SD MVA in an email and also by a trooper. And yes, it gets scary thinking of some of the idiots on the road.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #12

Every Friday night they must shoot a gun in Bakersfield, CA at 5 PM and the highway is bumper to bumper with tri-axle toy hauler 5th wheel trailers heading for the coast at Pismo Beach. The Highway Patrol started to pull several of them over to see if they had a proper license for the size of the trailer they were pulling, many do not have a Class A Non Commercial or a CDL and suffer the consequences. I don’t think they stop out of state rigs only go after CA residences. Only in CA can this happen!