Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Cable \ Internet

We use Brighthouse \ Spectrum for our internet and cable, we pay for high speed internet as we love to stream. Lately our internet keeps cutting out or buffering when streaming, called and service guy came and checked the input, saying we had +2 Db acceptable at cable to trailer, we had -12 Db before splitter behind living room Tv not acceptable and in bedroom cabinet we showed -3 Db which he said was acceptable.
He states problem is between where cable comes in at basement control panel, I assume that is some form of splitter and the living room Tv.
Does anyone know if cable on a 2015 39 MB from factory, runs from basement to bedroom and then to living room or is it other way around? Also where cable connects to wall would that also be considered a splitter, as I can purchase those and replace myself.
Hope I didn't confuse explanation, thanks for your help in advance.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

That can only be answered if Redwood wired them all the same. Every time a thread is started on this issue I am amazed how many people have different cable runs.

I spent an entire day with a toner (and a little luck with color coded cable) to finally figure mine out.

Also make sure your power broadcast antenna did not get turned on somehow. That will definitely cause issues.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #3

When I had issues with my coax from the service center to the rest of the coach, I found a number of bundles of barrel splitters in the street side slide. At the rear of the street slide, there is a bundle of wires, wrapped in black sheathing that goes from the frame of the coach up into the back of the LR TV area. Open that up and you may find all the coax, with barrel connectors. In there there may be a problem.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, know for sure that power antenna is off, so I guess I will start with connections at exterior of trailer and move to interior LR behind TV, in hope of finding a loose connection or a bad splitter, will try to find a cheap tester I can use, so I can test the input as I move along.
Will post what I find, thxs again.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #5

On mine the splitter was in the ceiling in the bedroom accessed by removing the light fixture above & to the right of the bedroom tv & fish around to find 2 splitters 1 cable & 1 satellite. It was wired with the "in" cable, which if I recall came from the antenna booster, on the "out" & that was the only problem I found after tracing all the cables. Good luck!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Thanks for the replies, know for sure that power antenna is off, so I guess I will start with connections at exterior of trailer and move to interior LR behind TV, in hope of finding a loose connection or a bad splitter, will try to find a cheap tester I can use, so I can test the input as I move along.
Will post what I find, thxs again.
Home Depot sells a great test for about $30. VDV512-058
It has testers so you can test multiple cables at once and differentiate between the cables. The way the redwoods are wired, it very handy to test two cables at once. Made for short work for me to trace the roof satellite connectors and the two outside in the service center.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
On mine the splitter was in the ceiling in the bedroom accessed by removing the light fixture above & to the right of the bedroom tv & fish around to find 2 splitters 1 cable & 1 satellite. It was wired with the "in" cable, which if I recall came from the antenna booster, on the "out" & that was the only problem I found after tracing all the cables. Good luck!
Thanks, I will try to find mine there also, thanks for the tip.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
It has testers so you can test multiple cables at once and differentiate between the cables. The way the redwoods are wired, it very handy to test two cables at once. Made for short work for me to trace the roof satellite connectors and the two outside in the service center.
Looked up number you pasted VDV512-058 store shows no record of product, however when I ask for cable DB tester they show one for $29.99, so I will go take a look see, thanks for your help.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Went to Home Depot and found exactly what you were describing above its a Kelly Tools product, sitting next to me as I message you.
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Went to Home Depot and found exactly what you were describing above its a Kelly Tools product, sitting next to me as I message you.
Thanks.
Glad you could find it. I wrote that post when I was exhausted. It hurt me to re-read it.

For future reference: Klein Tools VDV512-058 Coax Explorer Plus Tester. It has four cable connectors, red, blue, green and black so you can trace four cables at once.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Cable\ Internet

Quote:
Glad you could find it. I wrote that post when I was exhausted. It hurt me to re-read it.

For future reference: Klein Tools VDV512-058 Coax Explorer Plus Tester. It has four cable connectors, red, blue, green and black so you can trace four cables at once.
Well so far have managed to trace and label most cables in RV, that tester works great. On the power antenna off\on switch found a White, Black and Grey cable, the Black goes to cable input on Outside of RV, the grey to the LR TV hookup, the White cable keeps giving me a Blue reading on the tester and I have the Blue connector in my pocket, I suspect it goes to the outside TV which has the cable hook up in wall of cabinet by dining table, but no matter what color end I put on the receptacle, it always reads Blue.

Any ideas on that issue?

I changed the off \ on power antenna switch and also the splitter I found behind TV in LR, that may have been put there by cable company.

Have dropped both lights in bedroom in front of cabinets and have not found a splitter in the ceiling. Will go back and remove lights tomorrow and check again.

DW had to reset Modem, as internet cut off, but since then all is good.

The saga continues.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #12

The stray cable most likely goes to the antenna, mine to the antenna was white. Also the splitter behind tv may not be the only & wouldn't blame the cable company.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Have dropped both lights in bedroom in front of cabinets and have not found a splitter in the ceiling. Will go back and remove lights tomorrow and check again.
Jeff,

In a 39MB the splitters are above the right rear light in the living room. Right being the curb side.

Rick
Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Great tip, Scott. Thanks.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Jeff,

In a 39MB the splitters are above the right rear light in the living room. Right being the curb side.

Rick
Will be taking those out to look for, thanks for a great tip.
Will post my findings.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Jeff,

Rick
Big shout out to you Rick, it was exactly where you said, thanks.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #17

Welcome, glad you found them