Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

Brake wire conection for disk brake upgrade?

I’m thinking of upgrading my 2014 31sl drum brakes with Kodiak disk brakes. I’m sure some of you out there have already done this upgrade on this generation of coach. For me it looks like the hardest part of this job will be either snaking the new wire harness connections up through the trailer nose cone to the pin box or splicing into the preexisting trailer brake wires in the electrical wiring area in the battery compartment?? The mechanical part of installing the rotors, actuator, brake lines, etc. is pretty straight forward….

Has any one fished a new wire between the electrical compartment area and the pin box wire junction box? If so how’d you do it?

It looks like the existing trailer/truck wires from the pin box come into the trailer's battery compartment area from over the top of the electrical compartment and then go down the back wall. It’s a real rats nest and difficult to trace the various wires. The pre-existing wires are also very tight and it looks like it would be impossible to loosen one of them up to use as a lead to fish a new line through.

I’m figuring that one of you has probably already solved this issue and your input would be appreciated…. Thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

I used the same blue wire to actuate the hydraulic pump. However, I did run wiring from my 4 cameras from inside the front storage compartment to the truck thru the pinbox. Took off the trim around the the pin box, took couple of screws loose that hold that bottom cover on and carefully fed the cable without damaging the insulation. I ran 75 ohm cable and 4 wires for switching the camera feeds. I added a separate battery for the pump with a separate charging system from the truck.I ran a separate pig tail and harness for that, with those wiring feeds also ran in the same area. Added a junction box for that. Have a battery switch to join if needed. Works well for me. 2017 31SL , 2019 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab, HO Cummins
Donnie & Kathy, 2017 31SL, SRE 4000, Goodyear H 17.5's, Kodiak Disc, Brakerite Actuator, Joyrider Shocks, Timken Bearings and Seals, 2019 Ram 3500 Dually, Mega Cab, HO Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4.10 Ratio.
Dart540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #3

About where did you pick up that blue wire? I have the factory generator on the passenger side and it's surrounded by tin shrouding. No way to run wires on that side. Things are real cramped on the other side with a pair of AGM batteries. I can see a couple of wire looms on the back wall there. I'm figuring that one of those looms must have the "blue" wire in it? Thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #4

It has been a couple of years since I did the Kodiac conversion. So, I went to the garage and reviewed how I did it. I first took the cover off the junction box on the pinbox where the harness from the truck joins the harness to the trailer. There is a dark blue wire that comes from the truck side that joins to a light blue wire on the trailer side. On my trailer, the light blue wire and a white wire are the brake wires on the trailer side and they are both in a gray cover. They go into the trailer and are wrapped in the corrugated black plastic slit wrap that contains all the wires from the junction box into the trailer. In my 31SL, they come down the wall in the black corrugated cover on the back drivers side rear corner. Open the slit in the cover and you should be able to match the wire in the cover to the one identified in the junction box. I took that dual wire, opened it up, verified it's identity and cut it at that point leaving me plenty to hook to. I took the white one to ground and the blue one to the Brakerite unit. Then you have to trace your break away wire from your break away switch and wire it correctly. I used a separate relay to wire that. Also from my separate "Brakerite" battery. I didn't want my inverter, trailer 12 volt and brakes on same battery system. Probably over kill.
Donnie & Kathy, 2017 31SL, SRE 4000, Goodyear H 17.5's, Kodiak Disc, Brakerite Actuator, Joyrider Shocks, Timken Bearings and Seals, 2019 Ram 3500 Dually, Mega Cab, HO Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4.10 Ratio.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #5

My separate battery for the brakes is totally separate wiring feed from the front of the truck with circuit breaker and it's own wiring harness and voltage gauge so I can keep an eye on it. I bought the trailer new and was extremely disappointed with the brakes on the way home. As soon as I got it home (500 mile trip holding my breath) I changed to Kodiac disc. Very, very happy with results. Also changed to Timken bearings and heavy duty double lipped seals. Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #6

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. Figuring out the trailer wiring is the hardest part. Our trailers are pretty close in age so the info should be good. We really like the 31sL unit, we tricked it out for dry camping when needed and can also fit into many of the State and National Park sites that are right on the water. If you're ever up by Acadia Nat. Park in the Autumn give a growl.

p.s. Your right, the drum brakes are a PITA, need to take them up at least twice a season so they do the job.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:56 AM   #7

Acadia National Park is a little North of Lindale, Texas. But you never know. Might make it up there some time. If you have further questions on the install, let me know. Happy travels and good luck!!