Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #1

brake shoes

so I been doing some tinkering on my 2013 36FL before baby gets here 2 or 3 more weeks! and before body shop fixes it. I might need to pull home in a hurry if time comes 290 miles, besides getting on the roof today to do some small front cap sealing witch I learned from this forum, and installing our LED strip I decided to tinker with brakes and verify condition, now the problem is that I'm definitely not brake shoe guy, I'm more like a disk brake generation, so I decided to take a picture and let some of the more experienced older folks on this forum decide for me. are this shoes still good or do I need to replace them?

[ATTACH]brake shoes.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led strip.jpg (16.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

Boy, thats one that is borderline. (front shoe).

If it was a car, I would say run em a while. Because its a trailer, and at least for me getting that far into the job is a lot of work, I would replace them just to make my time worthwhile.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

I agree, I'd replace as that one looks close to metal on metal.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

I also agree with replacing the entire lining...

You may want to think about replacing the entire package... Buy a complete kit.. backing plate , magnet , shoes , springs , all assembled , just remove the 4 screws and cut the brake wires and add the new assembly.... It is a few dollars more ,, but you have an entire NEW assembly ...

If you do it that way , beware... there are right sides and left sides... you will need each, and they should be clearly marked.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I also agree with replacing the entire lining...

You may want to think about replacing the entire package... Buy a complete kit.. backing plate , magnet , shoes , springs , all assembled , just remove the 4 screws and cut the brake wires and add the new assembly.... It is a few dollars more ,, but you have an entire NEW assembly ...

If you do it that way , beware... there are right sides and left sides... you will need each, and they should be clearly marked.....
I agree, it is much easier to just replace the entire brake assembly. You can get these at www.easternmarine.com for a reasonable price. I actually replaced all of mine on a prior fifth wheel and it was fairly easy. It actually came out cheaper to just replace the assemblies them than purchasing each part individually. My prior rig took Dexter and when I called Dexter they wanted 3 times the price for what I paid at EasternMarine and what they sent me where original Dexter assemblies in Dexter packaging, not aftermarket stuff.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

Most companies are like that, much more expensive than buying from one of their vendors, I found that with Dexter, Carefree, & Mod Ryde.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

20150208_153354.jpg

This is a photo of new brake assembly cost $87.00 RV parts store in Hattiesburg, MS. As you will see the brake liners are not that thick when new. I inspected mine and immediately assumed they were worn out until I purchased and compared to a new assembly. Wear was not an issue when compared to new brake and backing plate assembly. Also new brake assembly had auto adjusters. It is advisable to replace both left and right even if only one brake liner is bad. I had a missing section on one of the liners so I replaced with new.

Sorry Photo is upside down when transmitted.

Joel and Janis
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

Should have sent photo of box to indicate size of brake and backing plate assembly. I replaced the bearings inner and outer and both races with premium quality NTN bearings. Country of origin USA and Japan both trusted high quality manufacturers vs the destine to premature fail installed Chinese Bearings.

20150209_133147.jpg

Have no explanation for picture rotation it sure looks ok during the attachment process.

Joel and Janis
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidocl View Post
so I been doing some tinkering on my 2013 36FL before baby gets here 2 or 3 more weeks! and before body shop fixes it. I might need to pull home in a hurry if time comes 290 miles, besides getting on the roof today to do some small front cap sealing witch I learned from this forum, and installing our LED strip I decided to tinker with brakes and verify condition, now the problem is that I'm definitely not brake shoe guy, I'm more like a disk brake generation, so I decided to take a picture and let some of the more experienced older folks on this forum decide for me. are this shoes still good or do I need to replace them?

[ATTACH]Attachment 1410[/ATTACH]
If you are really unsure if they need replacing, I would go by an RV dealer service dept and see if they can give you guidance. They must see these all day long. Ihad to replace my SOB because when I tookoff the hub, the brake linings fell to the ground. Apparently the prior owner had run the brakes hot and caused them to separate. I always wondered why it didn't seem like I had good brakes. Boy, once I replaced the brake assemblies I had great brakes. Do your homework, I'm also a believer of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #10

2/32" on a bonded shoe is no go. New they are ~8/32" (1/4"), if that helps.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #11

Bet it was a lot easier to change when you just turn the trailer over, no bending over!!
For the money, if you have them all apart to change bearings you just as well do brakes also, especially if they are the original that you don't know what salvage yard in what country they came from, just my .02 cents. And taking a dealers word on anything is asking for trouble! That's my story & sticking to it!!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-12-2015, 01:58 AM   #12

im, sorry to say I don't have a decent rv dealer in 300 miles and the ones here wont even say hi to you unless you give them $80 or more.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:01 AM   #13

I think im just going to call some places you guys posted and see what I can get for full kit replacement thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 AM   #14

You already have the drums off...replace them

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 AM   #15

If you have any kind of trailer dealer nearby should have or be able to get the brake assemblies for you, doesn't have to be a rv dealer.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #16

I also agree, I'd replace as that one looks close to metal on metal.
medium is offline   Reply With Quote