Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Blocking up Redwood

We will be camping for the season and it was suggested on this form that we should block the trailer up for the summer and winter. The question is how do I do this.

1 do you use actual blocks or jacks?

2 are the jacks up or down?

3 are other forms of stability needed?

4 are the wheels left on the ground?

Any other advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated....Ian

Note: 38CK
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
We will be camping for the season and it was suggested on this form that we should block the trailer up for the summer and winter. The question is how do I do this.

Personally, I don't see a need to block the rig up. These things are made to live in full time. With the level-up system you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe, you might have to re-level infrequently but that depends on whether or not you are on gravel or concrete. It's also not recommended to put any type of stabilizers under the slideouts. On my prior fifth wheel, I would workkamp in the same location for 5-6 months and never had a problem with the tires on the ground and the level or the slideouts.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post

You are winterizing it or do you live in it full time? We are in south Louisiana and don't have to do this since we never stop using it. Are you snowbirding in the States?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

We will winterized before we head off to Florida.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #5

I have been workkamping in mine for 16 straight months now. I never block my RVs up, and I work/live in them constantly, and have done this for many years, with no problems.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
Site Team

After I winterize my unit, I level it with the leveling system and leave the jacks all down. About every 2 weeks, I go out and fire up the generator and let it run for 30-45 minutes. This keeps the generator ready to run in case of an emergency and it keeps the batteries charged so they don't freeze.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
After I winterize my unit, I level it with the leveling system and leave the jacks all down. About every 2 weeks, I go out and fire up the generator and let it run for 30-45 minutes. This keeps the generator ready to run in case of an emergency and it keeps the batteries charged so they don't freeze.
I leave mine plugged up to my house and us it with the gas heat if it gets under freezing which was only 1 time last year in Baton Rouge, I have a Honda 6500IS generator that I hook to it and run once a month, you can't hardly hear her run.
I keep my leveling system down because my slides are out a lot of the time.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

We are seasonal campers for seven months and then move our coach to high ground for the winter. November to May and then move it back to our site oin spring. I have to rent a truck to do this but that is nothing to the nut of owning one for a simple move. We put 2 x 8's under the tires and a few wooden blocks under the jacks and level it for both seasons. Winterize, close up, un hook, shut the door and walk away. Check it every other week to make sure it is secure. This yeaar the batteries are going home for storage.