Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #1

Best way to fill freshwater when boon docking?

Does anybody have good experience with containers and or hand pumps/battery pumps for refilling the fresh water tank? I am searching on Amazon and almost every jerry can gets a terrible review. I'm trying to make sure I can fill the fresh water, when my husband is not there. There's no way I can lift 5 gallons. Thanks in advance
Ashjack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

Yes, I use a 60 gallon water blatter purchased from camping world. I also use a 12 V pump purchased from Harbor freight that I plug in to the seven pin connector on the truck.

You can get two full bladder's in the back your pick up truck if necessary with the tailgate down. They fold up very small and take up little room.

The 12 V pump didn't have an on off switch so I added a inline, round switch on the positive line.

A quick tip: Some trucks only activate the 12 V positive line with the ignition switch on. Double check yours with a meter.

Ken

I also cut a water hose about 3 feet long with no end so it usually goes into the water fill port.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

You could also make use of the Winterize hose into your water container and connect your outside hose into the Fresh Water fill. You would just have to close the winterize valve between the fresh water tank and the water pump.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You could also make use of the Winterize hose into your water container and connect your outside hose into the Fresh Water fill. You would just have to close the winterize valve between the fresh water tank and the water pump.

Great idea!
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #5

We don't boon dock but sometimes we can run out of water on extended stays at the state parks where you can only fill at the water stations, I have hooked our RW up to the truck, visited the dump station then refilled the fresh tank in the middle of a long trip but also like to sometimes fill it up without moving the RW. I came up with this 30 or 40 gallon tank system. I used plywood around one end to house the components and added plywood strips in a few locations to allow the tank to lay flat in the bed of the truck. This will fit between my hitch and the tri-fold tonneau cover without changing anything. Gets the power from the 7 way plug on the back of the truck. Powers up when the key is on. Used a 10 amp fuse for protection. Used a normal rv gravity fill fitting which also has the bug screened vent fitting. A switch to turn on and off. A long hose to reach about where ever it needs to fill up and a 1/4 valve to stop the flow of water when your tank is full. When the pump builds to 45 psi it shuts off anyway. I don't have an auxillary tank in our bed of our truck so this doesn't get in the way. I use a few pieces of firewood to keep it from shifting while driving. If I need to use the tank, I simply remove the wood and pull the tank closer so it is convenient to use. Drive to the water filling station and fill the tank using a household type whole house water filter like what is already on board the RW. We filter the water before filling the potable water and also when filling this tank. We like clean water, drink the water and use it for coffee and the ice maker. I have also used this to help fill friends and family members water tanks if needed.

Chris & Maria 2012 36RL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7069.JPG (242.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7070.JPG (231.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7072.jpg (194.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7073.JPG (175.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7074.JPG (210.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7075.jpg (161.4 KB, 5 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #6

It has been very interesting to see how folks have addressed the OP's question.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
YES! We just use the winterize hose with the water bladder. Works GREAT. Make sure you turn the valve on the line to direct the water into the TANK rather than you house lines. Super set up. Bladder folds down to nothing when not in use! Love it.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #8

adding fresh water

I also use the winterizing system to add water. We have a 7 gallon water jug (This) which would be too heavy according to the OP if filled. We also have several (5 or 6) 1 gal. jugs too. The OP could use a large container partially filled to draw and then pour in several 1 gal jugs as it is transferring to the fresh water tank. We can put in 12 gallons or so in quick order.

Works for us.

Gary
csg11 is offline   Reply With Quote