Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Best RV GPS

I have a 2019 3901 WB and I'm getting ready to go on a trip. This unit needs 13'6" of clearance with the Direct TV antenna retracted (my dealer "Harvey RV" in Bangor Maine told me on a number of occasions to remember to power down the antenna before we pull out, and I forgot and took out the cable in our campground, I'm hoping they'll let us back next year..lol ((we have had 13 different RV's and these guys are the best, hands down)).
Anyway, trying to decide which GPS works the best, for a reasonable price.
Looks like the Garmin 760 LMT and the 770 LMT get solid reviews.
Does anyone on here have an opinion on what unit would be best for a height restricted RV? I don't want to learn the low clearances by accident..
Thanks,

Kris
Bigrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrisky View Post
I have a 2019 3901 WB and I'm getting ready to go on a trip. This unit needs 13'6" of clearance with the Direct TV antenna retracted (my dealer "Harvey RV" in Bangor Maine told me on a number of occasions to remember to power down the antenna before we pull out, and I forgot and took out the cable in our campground, I'm hoping they'll let us back next year..lol ((we have had 13 different RV's and these guys are the best, hands down)).
Anyway, trying to decide which GPS works the best, for a reasonable price.
Looks like the Garmin 760 LMT and the 770 LMT get solid reviews.
Does anyone on here have an opinion on what unit would be best for a height restricted RV? I don't want to learn the low clearances by accident..
Thanks,

Kris

I have a rand macnalley overdryve 7RV , you can find these for $400~450. They let you program them for physical size , height ,weight so you don't get directed down a road limited that unit doesn't fit. Navigation wise it has done a good job so far , I have used it for about 2000 miles towing. I don't think any unit is perfect but the options are nice that the Rand unit can be used for other then driving directions.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

I still use my old RV 760 LMT. The height, weight, length feature is nice, but note that when in RV mode, it won't take you through an uncharted zone. It will take you around, sometimes to a different state if necessary

Outside of that little flaw - I love the big screen, the loud voice, the lane change info at exits, and I like the campground searches that informs you of nearby campgrounds and types of hookups available, to name a few features.

PS - the rear camera feature sucks, don't get it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

I have had the Rand McNally RVND 7730 for many years. It has weight/height/length inputs and will not take you down a path where you get in trouble, and if you do turn (like when you are not using it on a trip) it will warn and continue to divert you to a safe route (tested many times when driving just tow vehicle). Last year I installed the wired rear camera kit and love it. I carry recumbent bicycles on the trailers hitch and it it provides peace of mind monitoring. You can search for just about anything along your route, or your location, a feature I used recently at a campground in Va. to find a hospital at 10 at night because I split my head open. I like the lane choice provided even when you are exiting and then have to be in a certain lane right after the exit, it gives plenty of warning so you can maneuver to the correct lane. The screen is sometimes not bright enough in bright sunlight situations, but that is my mounting position. It has lifetime map update. As with other GPS's I have experienced it does not always take you the way you want to go. I use the way point function or a multi point route to design my route using the docking station app that comes with the GPS. I think you will find any GPS that is designed for RV use to be adequate, just a hard decision to make when you don't know how it really works.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

I use the Garmin 760 and it has worked well for me. I always look at my route on Google satellite to be sure I know what I'm getting into and then just to be safe I double check my route with the RV Parky App for low clearance bridges in the area and on my route.