Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

bedroom slide 36fl

I have owned a 2013 36fl for two years which is left on site in Canada while I winter in Texas. As I closed up last fall I noticed the slide on the dresser side was not fully closing, it stayed open about 3 to 4 inches, on looking inside the bed was tight to the bottom drawers so being in a big rush to get going I tried removing the drawer knobs helped a bit then removed bottom drawers still had over two inches gap then removed trim on bottom of bed, when all was done the slide on the right side was still about an inch from fully closing, could the bed be to long, doesn't seem to have come away from the wall, has anybody else had this problem. thanks Brian
badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by badd View Post
I have owned a 2013 36fl for two years which is left on site in Canada while I winter in Texas. As I closed up last fall I noticed the slide on the dresser side was not fully closing, it stayed open about 3 to 4 inches, on looking inside the bed was tight to the bottom drawers so being in a big rush to get going I tried removing the drawer knobs helped a bit then removed bottom drawers still had over two inches gap then removed trim on bottom of bed, when all was done the slide on the right side was still about an inch from fully closing, could the bed be to long, doesn't seem to have come away from the wall, has anybody else had this problem. thanks Brian

I assume your bedroom slide is operated by the the Schwintek system. I had the same problem the 2cd year we owned our 2012 36RL. It is recommended to lubricate the slides and motor with CRC PowerLube with Teflon. I actually use DuPont Teflon lubricant twice per year on the slide rails and have never had the issue again. It is also recommended that when you run the slide out or in, that you hold the control for 3 to 5 seconds after the slide has stopped. This will ensure that the motors stay synchronized.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

I believe it is a hydraulic slide as both my bedroom and kitchen slides are in a 14 FL. Sounds like it could be way out of adjustment on the tracks or if it is hitting something inside check these,

The draws are on struts to allow them to push in and maybe something behind them jamming it. Maybe something fell over the back of the draw?

Mattress or bedding is getting hung up.

Slide carpet is rolling up on one side.

Steve
Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

36 fl slide

the 36fl has two slides for the bedroom which is at the back and are operated on hydraulics, it seems funny that the slide which houses the bed closes fully but the other slide handles the closets and drawers, it comes in and the bed hits this slide before it is fully in and it can go no further, I cannot see any restrictions behind the bed and it seems positioned as it should but will take mattress off and check further, only other solution would be to try and shorten the bed.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #5

If the Mattress is longer than 80 inches it will run out of room on the FL Bedroom.
A RV King is 80 inches long, same as a standard Queen Mattress.
When closing the opposing slides on a FL Bedroom, the Mattress pushes the lower drawers in under the Coat Closet portion of the slide.
If the struts are damaged and not allowing the drawers to move back or there is something behind the drawers, the slide will not fully close.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:20 AM   #6

bedroom slides

Thanks for the things to look for as I didn't realize the draws were on struts, will have a close look tomorrow for any obstructions plus measure the mattress as we changed to a queen instead of the king plus on a quick look I can see where the corner of the carpet had folded on closing, hopefully one of these will be the problem. Thanks guys will post on what I find.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

What Bob said...
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

bedroom slide

Thankyou everybody for the help, I have learnt a lot in the last couple of days. didn't know about the struts for movable drawers and until I measured didn't know my new mattress was 3 inches to high, you think the dealer would have warned me about this especially when he knew we were changing to a queen to save room and really don't feel like discarding a new 1500 dollar mattress.
Would there be any possibility of cutting down the bed by the three inches which would mean rebuilding the two draws or eliminating them all together. Plan b would be to lift mattress and prop it up on the headboard end, when I left last fall I propped the foot of the mattress up on a couple milk cartons but when the slide went in I did not notice the drawer section move but then again I didn't know about it , have checked and the struts do move in but how far does the base of the bed have to go under closets. With out the use of the mattress could I build a couple of verticle padded bumpers to do the pushing or even cut the foot of the bed back 3 or four inches and not have to worry about the drawer struts with the mattress propped up to the headboard. thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Yep, when I replaced the mattress in my FL, I made sure I got a 9" thick mattress so it would fit under the opening where the drawers are.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I believe Steve cut the base of the bed down when he got a new mattress. Hopefully he will jump in
Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I believe Steve cut the base of the bed down when he got a new mattress. Hopefully he will jump in
I had the Euro Box Spring Slats under my bed, when going from a King to a Queen, I ditched the Euro Box Slats and put plywood, that gave me another inch of so of height.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #12

We have to pull back our comforter when hitting the road. Just that little bit of fluff is enough to bugger up the works.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
We have to pull back our comforter when hitting the road. Just that little bit of fluff is enough to bugger up the works.
Yep, I have to pull my comforter back too, the sheets just slide under the edge when closing the bedroom slides.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #14

Yup... I'm here and we did the same thing. Char found a super deal at a Sears store that was closing and she likes the high mattresses so we bought it on site. Well, got home and same problem you are having so I cut my bed base down. We did have to give up the storage but now we can even leave all the bedding on and it goes under the closet.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0416.JPG (531.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.JPG (417.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #15

36fl

Thanks for the pics Steve this will probably be the route to take, It's hard to give up any storage as the 36fl has very limited storage when comparing it to our last unit a 3465 montana but we are starting to learn after 10 years fultiming you only keep what you need. thankyou
Old 04-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #16

We put a mattress topper on and found that it bound the works, so I cut 5 inches off the foot of the topper and every thing works great, still have to fold the comforter up.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #17

36fl slide

Thanks Camper will have to remember that, I think I will be going with Steve's approach and lower the base by what is required and then a bit more as I will lose that storage anyway . Sure wish I had your workshop to work in Steve instead of a picnic table on site 674.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Camper will have to remember that, I think I will be going with Steve's approach and lower the base by what is required and then a bit more as I will lose that storage anyway . Sure wish I had your workshop to work in Steve instead of a picnic table on site 674.
We never did find much use for those 2 draws so that is why we just did away with them and now both high mattress and bedding is never a question when getting ready to hit the road again.
Not a hard project even on picnic table. Most work is getting it out the door. You will need a few pieces of better lumber to put it back together.
ALSO... when under the bed, check the 120 volt connectors as they always seem to be loose or look like a pretzel.

Steve
Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #19

question for Steve

Hi Steve was wondering how big a job is it to get it out the door, I imagine it would be the kitchen door and did you replace the cross piece and dividers behind where the drawers were. Was there enough height left to replace electrical sockets or did you have to put them sideways. Hoping to get at it soon if the rain ever stops. Thankyou
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi Steve was wondering how big a job is it to get it out the door, I imagine it would be the kitchen door and did you replace the cross piece and dividers behind where the drawers were. Was there enough height left to replace electrical sockets or did you have to put them sideways. Hoping to get at it soon if the rain ever stops. Thankyou
Two people can walk it right out the front door. I left the box spring thing or whatever you call that inside. Once that is off take the top pieces off and you can get to everything you need to.I can't remember everything I replaced but if memory is correct I added a lot more cross pieces for better support as it is pretty flimsy as you will see. I did turn my plugs sideways but after doing so I added one to each side table so I really didn't need them since not the easiest to get to. Just remember to check those 110 RV plugs under the bed as they always loosen up over time. I had one that was not even clipped in.

Get your height measurement you need BEFORE you take it out!!!

Steve