Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide

I went to my RW today to get it ready for a nice 4 month trip. I have not used it since April so when I went to check her out I plugged her into a 110 shore line and then turned the battery power on and went to extend my slides. The living room/kitchen slides both come out with no problem. My bedroom slide came half way out and I could not get her to extend out all the way. It sounded like it just did not have enough power to extend all the way. So I put the bedroom slide back in and when I left I took my batteries out and took them home to recharge them. Do you think this could be the problem that I did not have enough battery power? I guess my question is if I am hooked up the the land power wouldn't that be enough power? I hope this is just a low battery problem.

Help welcome,
Dave
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a low battery issue. The slides are powered by 12 volt. If the batteries were really dead, you're depending on the output from the converter to power the slides. Lot of amperage is required and the converter alone probably didn't have enough.

Charge the batteries and have them load checked and you should be good. I would also lube the bedroom slide with the CRC lube
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Sounds like a low battery issue. The slides are powered by 12 volt. If the batteries were really dead, you're depending on the output from the converter to power the slides. Lot of amperage is required and the converter alone probably didn't have enough.

Charge the batteries and have them load checked and you should be good. I would also lube the bedroom slide with the CRC lube
X2
Also might try connecting the truck to give it a boost.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
My converter is rated 100 amps at 12 volts. That should be enough juice to operate the slide. Try lubricating the rails with teflon spray.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

The converter is rated for 100A, but not all of that is available to the charging circuit, which is were the slides would draw power from without a battery.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

Lube the slides with CRC Rails and gears. Plug into the truck and you should have plenty of power. May need to run them in and out a few times to get the CRC on all the parts. I think this has happen to every RW owner I have ever talked to.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
The converter is rated for 100A, but not all of that is available to the charging circuit, which is were the slides would draw power from without a battery.
Well that sure confuses me because here is the section of the converter operating manual which says that the converter supplies power (12v) to appliances. In testing my converter last week I ran the hydraulic pump on the converter with the batteries disconnected from the system. One of the tests calls for putting a load on the converter and measuring the output voltage.

"All WFCO power converters are automatic three-stage switching
power supplies. The converter senses which mode it needs to be in by
checking the RV system voltage.
The three modes/stages of operation include:
Absorption mode/Normal operation
Nominal battery charge and supplies power to appliances
Bulk mode/Charge mode
Fast battery charge and supplies power to appliances
Float mode/Trickle charge
Trickle battery charge during storage
Absorption Mode: During this mode, the converter output is in the
13.7 Vdc range. This is the normal operation mode. This mode provides
the 12 Vdc and current required by the 12 Vdc RV appliances, as well as
slow charging the battery."
Old 07-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

This hopefully isn't your problem, but I'll let you know what happened to me with our 36RL early in it's life (actually on our first trip home from the dealer!).

I tried to open the bedroom slide and it opened part way and stopped, I made a second try and the wooden bed frame started separating from the roadside wall. We are a distance from our dealer and I wanted to see exactly what was happening so I took the bed frame off and opened up the wooden "bed box". Turns out the bed had moved slightly to one side and Redwood had installed a wooden piece that anchors the sewer drain line to the floor too close to the edge of the bed box, it fouled the bed box and caused a partial pull away from the wall.

It was an easy rebuild (screws and glue for the 1X2's to replace the staples Redwood uses and a couple of additional pieces of wood) and i learned exactly whats under the bed.

The other possibility that we also found is that if your RV is on a slope and the front legs are almost topped out the front part of the front slide will foul the cutout frame due to flex in the Redwood's frame, happened to us once.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

I purchased the CRC from Amazon. I put the link below for the lube that I use

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industrial...CRC+Power+Lube